News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capetan Mihali

Most contemporary men under 50 in hats shouldn't be, IMO.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on October 09, 2015, 01:25:44 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on October 09, 2015, 01:01:16 PM
You know that was always a dumb statement.  When you are orbit around something, using a nuke a waste of resources.  You can just chuck large chunks of iron at something and you'll get a megaton size explosion when they hit the surface.

Those would need to be very large chunks of iron to get to megaton levels.  The tungsten rods the Air Force planned to use (20ft long and 1ft diameter) would only have an explosive yield equivalent of 11.5 tons.
That's it?  :huh: I would have thought a 20ft tungeston hittiing something at mach 10 would make a much bigger boom.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on October 13, 2015, 12:50:11 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on October 13, 2015, 10:47:18 AM
Presumably accelerating is not a problem since they fly from star system to star system.

Yes, but a nuclear weapon is a far smaller and cheaper alternative to turning an asteroid into a kamikaze spaceship.  With nuclear weapons, a single spaceship the size of the Nimitz could carry enough firepower to level everything on the surface of a planet.

Maybe I wasn't being clear earlier.  I'm not saying it isn't possible, I'm saying it isn't cost-effective given the existence of nuclear weapons.
Kinetic bombardment has the large benifit of not spewing radioactive fallout everywhere.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Liep

Today the top talking points in the papers are Hillary Clinton saying she loves Denmark, Princess Marie's breasts and Holland's complete failure overshadowing our own. Also, it stopped raining. It is a good day.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Valmy

Quote from: Liep on October 14, 2015, 07:29:25 AM
Today the top talking points in the papers are Hillary Clinton saying she loves Denmark, Princess Marie's breasts and Holland's complete failure overshadowing our own. Also, it stopped raining. It is a good day.

:unsure:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

mongers

E.gad actually came across something amusing on the BBC have your say page, in an item about Stephen Fry being replaced as the host of QI:

Absolutely! The big story of the day is that Stephen Fry has quit QI and the BBC has given his role to Sandy Toksvig, an Immigrant from Europe. I immediately phoned Nigel Farage so he could object that a key role had been given to a foreigner but he wasn't there, so I left a message with his German PA.

me mildly amused.  :bowler:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Liep

Quote from: mongers on October 14, 2015, 08:12:45 AM
E.gad actually came across something amusing on the BBC have your say page, in an item about Stephen Fry being replaced as the host of QI:

Absolutely! The big story of the day is that Stephen Fry has quit QI and the BBC has given his role to Sandy Toksvig, an Immigrant from Europe. I immediately phoned Nigel Farage so he could object that a key role had been given to a foreigner but he wasn't there, so I left a message with his German PA.

me mildly amused.  :bowler:

A Dane takes over from Stephen Fry! Rejoice!
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Liep

Quote from: Valmy on October 14, 2015, 08:05:12 AM
Quote from: Liep on October 14, 2015, 07:29:25 AM

:unsure:

She had a breast enlargement operation in Kaunas according to a tabloid, the Royal House denied it saying that the Princess had never been to Lithuania. It was the first time in recorded history that they had denied a tabloid story of which there have been many. That became an in for the serious newspapers to also write about Princess boobies.

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 13, 2015, 08:10:28 PM
That's it?  :huh: I would have thought a 20ft tungeston hittiing something at mach 10 would make a much bigger boom.

The rods would have weighed 9 tons (about 8165kg) and be travelling at mach 10 (about 3403 m/s).  Plugging those into the formula for kinetic energy (0.5*m*v*v) gives a total impact energy of about 47.3GJ.  One ton of TNT has an explosive yield of 4.184GJ.  47.3 / 4.184 ~= 11.5.

Addendum:

To get a megaton yield out of one of these rods would require accelerating it to 3.2*10^6 m/s.

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 13, 2015, 08:13:31 PM
Kinetic bombardment has the large benifit of not spewing radioactive fallout everywhere.

It does, however, kick up a whole lot more particulate matter.

Valmy

Quote from: Liep on October 14, 2015, 08:16:12 AM
She had a breast enlargement operation in Kaunas according to a tabloid, the Royal House denied it saying that the Princess had never been to Lithuania. It was the first time in recorded history that they had denied a tabloid story of which there have been many. That became an in for the serious newspapers to also write about Princess boobies.

Desecrating the sacred body that God has selected to pretend to rule over Denmark? Sacrilege.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Admiral Yi

The Brain

Yes, but the explosive yield of the ball is actually fairly limited.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

Totalbiscuit got rid of his bowel cancer, but now this.

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1snlj3r

QuoteWell, I don't know if there is really a right way to tell people this, so I guess here goes. The CT did not come back negative. The cancer in the bowel is gone, but spots have appeared in my liver. They're not operable and there's no cure. Average life expectancy is 2-3 years, though there are outliers that live much longer. I'll be back on chemo in a few weeks, with the goal of pushing it back and keeping it there for as long as possible. I fully intend to be the outlier, the average is this way because most people that get this are old and not strong anymore. Who knows what they'll come up with in the next decade? I intend to beat it for as long as possible. Gonna need some time to process all of this. I don't really feel anything right now. Thanks.

:(
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.