News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on October 13, 2015, 01:39:32 PM
Is there really no Islamic legalistic loophole around taking a photograph without your head stuff on? The Jews are so much better at this stuff.

Judaism is pretty westernized, bro.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

alfred russel

Quote from: garbon on October 13, 2015, 02:55:28 PM
Is there really no Islamic legalistic loophole around taking a photograph without your head stuff on? The Jews are so much better at this stuff.

Well, today perhaps, and depending on what you consider westernized. 100 years ago there were Jews wearing something like a burka in parts of the world. Even today, there are lots of hasidic jews that aren't in tune with the modern world, although their traditions are from eastern europe so they are still western in that sense.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Valmy

The Muslims have been in the West for awhile they need to get their lawyer on and find all the loopholes to enable them to fit in here while not breaking any of the laws of Islam.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Malthus

Quote from: alfred russel on October 13, 2015, 03:01:46 PM

Well, today perhaps, and depending on what you consider westernized. 100 years ago there were Jews wearing something like a burka in parts of the world. Even today, there are lots of hasidic jews that aren't in tune with the modern world, although their traditions are from eastern europe so they are still western in that sense.

I don't think any Jews ever wore something like a burka, though maybe they did somewhere in the ME.

Hassid men sometimes wear big fur hats that were no doubt all the rage in Medieval Poland. Really makes them stand out, discomfort-wise, in Israel.  :lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

alfred russel

Quote from: Malthus on October 13, 2015, 03:25:53 PM

I don't think any Jews ever wore something like a burka, though maybe they did somewhere in the ME.

I discovered this at the Israeli Museum. :)

They had an exhibit on Jewish dress. Apparently Jews in parts of the Middle East / Afghanistan wore native style dress (as they did basically everywhere, fwiw).
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

garbon

Hassid men sometimes wear big fur hats that were no doubt all the rage in Medieval Poland. Really makes them stand out, discomfort-wise, in Israel.  :lol:

I wish we could secularize that. I want a big furry round hat. :angry:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: garbon on October 13, 2015, 04:42:41 PM

Do you need permission from the hat committee?  :huh:

Malthus

Quote from: alfred russel on October 13, 2015, 04:23:38 PM

I discovered this at the Israeli Museum. :)

They had an exhibit on Jewish dress. Apparently Jews in parts of the Middle East / Afghanistan wore native style dress (as they did basically everywhere, fwiw).

Heh I did not know that.

Apropos of nothing, I read long ago that the last two Jews living in Afganistan were ... mortal enemies. Apparently, they are fighting over ownership of the last bit of community property left - a valuable medieval Torah.  :lol:

It's like something that should go into a Coen Bros. movie.

Edit: sadly out of date - one of the two died a decade ago.  :(
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 13, 2015, 04:47:14 PM

I think it would have been awful had I been wearing one around Brooklyn. I don't see as many Hasidic Jews in London (as I've no real reason to be in the main area where they congregate) so maybe. :shifty:

Valmy

Hats in general are horribly underused these days.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Savonarola

Quote from: Valmy on October 13, 2015, 05:06:32 PM

Suddenly life has meaning.   :bowler:
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Archy

Quote from: Valmy on October 13, 2015, 05:06:32 PM
I cant agree more. Only my gf doesnt like them, so no hat for me :cry:

garbon

Grey Fox

Quote from: Liep on October 13, 2015, 01:36:51 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on October 13, 2015, 01:34:20 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on October 13, 2015, 01:30:24 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on October 13, 2015, 12:34:38 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on October 13, 2015, 08:26:38 AM
They have a point.

Yes, that people who don't see a difference between taking off a helmet and taking off a Burka have some serious issues.

Why? because some religious asshole hasn't yet commanded (and got very popular) that bike helmets must be worn all the time?

Cause they are sometimes used as masks in armed robberies.

Huh, I didn't think he was serious, but seems like he really didn't make that association.

Nope, it flew right by.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 13, 2015, 04:47:14 PM

The Gay Fashion Police are brutal, man.