News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

You guys are kind of making me think putting people in Space means our planet's days are numbered.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

lustindarkness

You guys are kind of making me think that having people in on earth means our planet's days are numbered.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Valmy

Quote from: lustindarkness on October 13, 2015, 10:52:28 AM
You guys are kind of making me think that having people in on earth means our planet's days are numbered.

Damned if we do, damned if we don't. Typical.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on October 13, 2015, 10:48:14 AM
You guys are kind of making me think putting people in Space means our planet's days are numbered.

It's really a scary proposition.  Maybe that's why we've never seen a creature from another planet.  They destroy themselves in war and industrial accidents as soon as they can reliably reach asteroids.  When you start moving at relativistic speeds it really gets scary.  I think that's why lots of Sci-fi have things like "hyperspace".  It would really put a damper on Star Wars if Han Solo confused the gas for the brake and wiped out an entire planet.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

lustindarkness

Quote from: Valmy on October 13, 2015, 10:53:37 AM
Quote from: lustindarkness on October 13, 2015, 10:52:28 AM

Damned if we do, damned if we don't. Typical.

I think the planet's best chance is to get rid of humans, we are back to nuking from orbit, only way to make sure.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

crazy canuck

Quote from: Grey Fox on October 13, 2015, 08:26:38 AM
They have a point.

Yes, that people who don't see a difference between taking off a helmet and taking off a Burka have some serious issues.

Razgovory

Maybe we can pass a law that says you don't have to wear a helmet on a bike song long a you wear a burka.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: Razgovory on October 13, 2015, 10:47:18 AM
Presumably accelerating is not a problem since they fly from star system to star system.

Yes, but a nuclear weapon is a far smaller and cheaper alternative to turning an asteroid into a kamikaze spaceship.  With nuclear weapons, a single spaceship the size of the Nimitz could carry enough firepower to level everything on the surface of a planet.

Maybe I wasn't being clear earlier.  I'm not saying it isn't possible, I'm saying it isn't cost-effective given the existence of nuclear weapons.

alfred russel

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 13, 2015, 12:34:38 PM
They have a point.

Yes, that people who don't see a difference between taking off a helmet and taking off a Burka have some serious issues.

Yeah, a helmet protects against head injuries. A burka; not so much.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Valmy

They have a point.

Yes a burka covers the entire body whereas a helmet just obscures the face. But it may be possible those guys do not actually know what a burka is.

Grey Fox

They have a point.

Why? because some religious asshole hasn't yet commanded (and got very popular) that bike helmets must be worn all the time?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Razgovory

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on October 13, 2015, 12:50:11 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on October 13, 2015, 10:47:18 AM
Presumably accelerating is not a problem since they fly from star system to star system.

Yes, but a nuclear weapon is a far smaller and cheaper alternative to turning an asteroid into a kamikaze spaceship.  With nuclear weapons, a single spaceship the size of the Nimitz could carry enough firepower to level everything on the surface of a planet.

Maybe I wasn't being clear earlier.  I'm not saying it isn't possible, I'm saying it isn't cost-effective given the existence of nuclear weapons.

I'm thinking Nukes are kind of expensive.  I don't know how mass production is done with them, but there use rare materials and must be made to exact specifications.  With a big rock you can kill everything on the planet.  I don't know how many nukes would be necessary to do that.

Razgovory

Quote from: Grey Fox on October 13, 2015, 01:30:24 PM
They have a point.

Why? because some religious asshole hasn't yet commanded (and got very popular) that bike helmets must be worn all the time?

Cause they are sometimes used as masks in armed robberies.

Liep

Quote from: Razgovory on October 13, 2015, 01:34:20 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on October 13, 2015, 01:30:24 PM
They have a point.

Cause they are sometimes used as masks in armed robberies.

Huh, I didn't think he was serious, but seems like he really didn't make that association.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Valmy

A burka = not required by Islam. In fact in Iran the Revolutionary Guards would arrest women for wearing them (because they were not Iranian and thus kind of unsettling and foreign and icky).

Is there really no Islamic legalistic loophole around taking a photograph without your head stuff on? The Jews are so much better at this stuff.