News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Ideologue on December 17, 2013, 02:47:19 PM
Ah, see, that's what I was talking about when I reviewed it.  You wanted a more active protagonist, whereas Northrup does practically nothing the whole movie.  And I actually discussed this being a potential problem--although for once I thought a lead with hardly any agency was one of the film's best aspects.  Here, and the facts of Northrup's life notwithstanding, it was the only way to make a movie about slavery as slavery, and avoid a false tone to its events

Maybe the lesson then is not to make a quasi-documentary about slave life.

Ideologue

I don't think it's going to become America's favorite subgenre anytime soon, no.  But not ever?  That'd be a shame.  I'm very glad 12 Years exists.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

garbon

Here's what nymag had to say.

http://nymag.com/news/frank-rich/liberal-feel-bad-movies-2013-11/

QuoteIf only 12 Years a Slave (or Roots, or any other wrenching American slave narrative) could move audiences beyond those already eager for a dose of feel-good shame.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ed Anger

I watched Roots. I think I get it.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Josquius

I seem to have misplaced my Tuesday :hmm:
██████
██████
██████

sbr

Quote from: Tyr on December 17, 2013, 07:50:55 PM
I seem to have misplaced my Tuesday :hmm:

I well mine felt like 2 days, I wish I could give it back.  :yucky:

Ideologue

Man, that guy seems like kind of a tool, but I can't argue with his central point: for law schools, it's change or die time.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Tonitrus

Haagen Daz Limoncello = food of the Hods.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Ideologue on December 17, 2013, 10:18:51 PM
Man, that guy seems like kind of a tool, but I can't argue with his central point: for law schools, it's change or die time.
Why?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ideologue

He's a law school dean whose expensive fun-loving lifestyle is financed by student debt.
Kinemalogue

garbon

Fell on my ass on the ice, darlings. Got some nice looking cuts. These two old women just stared on even as I started to walk away until I told them I was alright.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Capetan Mihali

:console: 

I'm still awaiting my first big slapstick tumble-on-the-tuchus for this year's ice'n'slush season.  :moon: :pinch: :Embarrass: :hide:
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

jimmy olsen

Quote from: garbon on December 18, 2013, 12:26:03 AM
Fell on my ass on the ice, darlings. Got some nice looking cuts. These two old women just stared on even as I started to walk away until I told them I was alright.
Yikes, hope those cuts aren't too bad. :hug:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ideologue

Jesus Christ.  I've gained at least five and possibly something like ten fucking pounds since I quit smoking.  And this is with a lot more exercise.

Nope, I'm starting again tomorrow.  I'd rather get cancer than get fat.  Although let's face it: 181 pounds at 5'10" is fucking fat.  Science sez so.

How in God's name do I get rid of this appetite, short of relapsing?  I feel like I am starving all the time.  I was fixing food when I weighed myself.  I want to throw it out, but I did pay for it and I am actually hungry.
Kinemalogue