And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 07, 2013, 08:17:04 PM
Quote from: Tyr on November 07, 2013, 08:20:53 AM
Japan is weird. I just did something very dodgy which didn't bite me in the arse.
You may recall the other week a random stranger helped me carry a solid wood desk a kilometer. Well, on Tuesday the guy called me and wanted my help, it turns out he was moving house and needed somewhere to leave his bags for a night or two.
My alarm bells were ringing, I had met the guy precisely once for a very brief amount of time, didn't he have friends? Surely he was scouting out my apartment for a robbery (that one could still be true...though it is a lot of work) or wanting somewhere to stash drugs or the like.
He has now collected all his bags though and it seems his story was totally legitimate.
But still I'm left going WTF. He doesn't seem to have anything especially wrong with him....why  would he trust a random foreigner with his stuff like that?

Why would you trust a random foreigner with your phone number?

Because it's safer than trusting a random countryman, of yours or his, with your phone number.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

CountDeMoney

Quote from: mongers on November 07, 2013, 08:23:36 PM
Because it's safer than trusting a random countryman, of yours or his, with your phone number.

Yeah, I suppose the Japanese are all really nice and polite to you unless you're, I dunno, caught defending Nanking or something.

Josquius

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 07, 2013, 08:17:04 PM

Why would you trust a random foreigner with your phone number?

Phone numbers are worth nothing and calls can be blocked if the unlikely worst occurs.
██████
██████
██████

Syt

Viennese photographer convinces cosplayers to be photographed in their homes:

http://www.kpic.at/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=56&Itemid=113

More pictures on his webpage.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Razgovory

That's very surreal and slightly sad.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Those Cosplayers have some really nice homes.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on November 08, 2013, 12:49:35 AM

I image the guy who lives in a roach infested apartment and the one who lived in a run down trailer didn't want to have their photos taken.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Valmy on November 08, 2013, 12:49:35 AM
Those costumes don't look cheap either.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Grey Fox

Austrian cosplaying is, hum, unsexy & scrary.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Malthus

Quote from: Grey Fox on November 08, 2013, 07:56:20 AM
Austrian cosplaying is, hum, unsexy & scrary.

Much like Austrian sex, then.  :P
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Josquius

when did non-anime fancy dress start being called cosplay?
██████
██████
██████

Grey Fox

When it hit America & americans begin cosplaying has game characters instead of anime characters.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

garbon

Quote from: Tyr on November 08, 2013, 10:31:37 AM
when did non-anime fancy dress start being called cosplay?

Fancy dress? :unsure:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.