News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: Barrister on August 08, 2013, 11:34:01 AM
I don't get the concern over that.  My three year old has little to no concept of gender - I couldn't convince him that although he, his little brother, and daddy all had 'peepees', that mommy did not.

He's danced around and said he was a princess, and said that he has a baby in his tummy like mommy does.  But he also routinely pretends to be various farm animals, a dinosaur, Batman, and Bob the Builder.  Actually when he plays 'Bob the Builder' he is either Bob or Bob's helper Wendy - and whichever character he is, I am the other one.

Whatever floats your boat.  I was just trying to be a good uncle as I saw fit.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ideologue

Quote from: derspiess on August 08, 2013, 10:56:25 AM
My 3 year old nephew got into the girl Halloween costumes we brought down to Argentina last year.  I intervened, but not before my wife & her sisters took a bunch of pictures.  It was funny at first, but Ziggy's already different enough.

I don't get the concern over that.  My three year old has little to no concept of gender - I couldn't convince him that although he, his little brother, and daddy all had 'peepees', that mommy did not.

Wikipedia?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on August 08, 2013, 12:42:23 PM

He's danced around and said he was a princess, and said that he has a baby in his tummy like mommy does.  But he also routinely pretends to be various farm animals, a dinosaur, Batman, and Bob the Builder.  Actually when he plays 'Bob the Builder' he is either Bob or Bob's helper Wendy - and whichever character he is, I am the other one.

Whatever floats your boat.  I was just trying to be a good uncle as I saw fit.

Yeah, conformity at all costs! :angry:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

He's danced around and said he was a princess, and said that he has a baby in his tummy like mommy does.  But he also routinely pretends to be various farm animals, a dinosaur, Batman, and Bob the Builder. 

My other self!
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Malthus

Quote from: Barrister on August 08, 2013, 12:30:16 PM
I'm reading a police report and I see someone described as a "soul lease holder".

:hmm:

Some new form of Santeria?  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Ideologue

Oh, man, fucking Santeria.  YES YOU CAN OUTLAW ANIMAL SACRIFICE.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

derspiess

Quote from: garbon on August 08, 2013, 12:52:54 PM
Yeah, conformity at all costs! :angry:

The boy lacks positive male influence in his life.  Now granted, he lives in a village full of freaks, but I was trying to impart some normalcy upon him.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Brain

Real normalcy cannot be imparted. It must be taken.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

derspiess

Quote from: Jacob on August 08, 2013, 12:59:50 PM
Important scientific discovery about beer!

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/feb/10/scientists-suggest-beer-after-workout/

Surprised your keyboard didn't give you an electric shock when you visited that site!

edit: Anyway, as much as I love beer, I have to say it's the last thing I want right after I go out running, mow the lawn, or whatever.  Beer dehydrates me, to the point where I sometimes need to drink water in between beers.  My cousin always drank beer while playing softball or pickup basketball & I hear people talk about their favorite "lawnmower beer", but ick, no thanks.

Having said that, most beers I drink are 6-9%ABV.

Malthus

Quote from: Ideologue on August 08, 2013, 12:59:31 PM
Oh, man, fucking Santeria.  YES YOU CAN OUTLAW ANIMAL SACRIFICE.

We had a store selling religious junk to Santeria types near where I had my apartment, when we were renting. My heavily Catholic mother-in-law walked by it ... I was hard put to it to stop her from torching the place to the ground.  :lol:

She had no idea what Santeria was, but the statues and stuff she found deeply shocking - like the all-Black virgin Mary statue with no hands standing over a goat skull with incense sticks in its eyesockets. 
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

derspiess

Quote from: Malthus on August 08, 2013, 01:20:24 PM
She had no idea what Santeria was, but the statues and stuff she found deeply shocking - like the all-Black virgin Mary statue with no hands standing over a goat skull with incense sticks in its eyesockets. 

I'm not Catholic & found the Santeria stuff to be particularly creepy.

fhdz

Quote from: Malthus on August 08, 2013, 01:20:24 PM

:wub:
and the horse you rode in on

Jacob

Dude sets fire to nuclear sub to get out of work; causes ~$400M damage and gets 17 years.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/08/07/us/navy-submarine-lost/index.html

Liep

There'll be a cabinet reshuffle tomorrow. The grossly incompetent Annette Vilhelmsen is swapped out for the rocker loving, but more suiting, Henrik Sass. Hopefully Holger K., the most boring man in Danish politics, will also move out.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk