And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 08, 2013, 11:01:33 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on May 08, 2013, 10:59:07 PM
They can always shoehorn those things into someone else's job. Nobody's indispensable.

Nonsense. 
Nothing says "job security" as being the only guy that's willing to do it and knows how it's done.

All that bullshit they spout about "collaborative environments" and "teamwork" is exactly that: bullshit.  Never share what you do or how you do it with anyone.

Keep your silo to yourself;  and with all those goofy ass billing systems that nobody wants to tinker with or bother spending time in the weeds figuring out how it all works, you'll be safe forever.

I dunno - I'm working on the philosophy of "I work in a core competence of our department (aka criminal prosecutions).  I am resisting any push to put me into some specialized area that might be outsourced or axed in a future rationalization.  And I know I am good enough at what I do that in case layoffs come, I will hardly be first out the door."

You try and get all specialized and unique, and even though it might be a bad idea, someone might still be willing to axe you and only find out later it was a bad idea.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Jacob

Yeah, but your company is unlikely to be merged with another company that has similar core competencies resulting in you being surplus to requirements.

CountDeMoney

You're a public stooge in a foreign country, BB.  Don't pretend to know how shit works down here in Shareholder Valuestan.   :bowler:

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Liep

Getting a visa to Russia is a pain in the ass, can't the join the Schengen?
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Tamas

Quote from: Liep on May 09, 2013, 04:22:14 AM

WHAT COULD HAPPEN

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 08, 2013, 11:48:45 PM
You're a public stooge in a foreign country, BB.  Don't pretend to know how shit works down here in Shareholder Valuestan.   :bowler:

The downside is that you are stuck with that specialization. Not always particularly useful moving up and also makes it harder if you'd like to move elsewhere/outside that specialization.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on May 09, 2013, 06:26:25 AM

The downside is that you are stuck with that specialization. Not always particularly useful moving up and also makes it harder if you'd like to move elsewhere/outside that specialization.

True, but this the American private sector we're talking about: it's far easier to sit tight than try to grab another chair when the music stops.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Tamas on May 09, 2013, 04:53:39 AM
Quote from: Liep on May 09, 2013, 04:22:14 AM

WHAT COULD HAPPEN

Come on, it's not as bad as Romania and Bulgaria and other lands under the Crown of Saint Stephen, gypsy-wise. :)

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 09, 2013, 06:30:34 AM
Quote from: garbon on May 09, 2013, 06:26:25 AM

True, but this the American private sector we're talking about: it's far easier to sit tight than try to grab another chair when the music stops.

:unsure:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on May 09, 2013, 06:52:03 AM

Don't eyeball me like that. 
There are more layoffs than promotions in this country.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 09, 2013, 06:55:15 AM
Quote from: garbon on May 09, 2013, 06:52:03 AM

Don't eyeball me like that. 
There are more layoffs than promotions in this country.

Everyone I know around here, in my field, is highly mobile - even with layoffs taking place. In fact, just yesterday I described our industry as musical chairs...though unlike that game, it seems rarely that chairs permanently go away as another company brings out a new chair.

CountDeMoney

Maybe derspiess should've taken the severance offer after all, what with mobility being so easy and what not these days.

garbon

All I'm saying is that your Debbie Downer, bleak B'more outlook doesn't hold for everyone.  If someone just read your posts, one would wonder why America hasn't succumbed to mass riots.

derspiess

I know that once I officially accept the job and sign away my severance, I'll finally start hearing from the company I've been trying to jump over to  <_<
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall