News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

I'd like to have a doctor, a free doctor.

:(
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

AnchorClanker

Quote from: lustindarkness on May 08, 2013, 07:25:13 PM
Quote from: AnchorClanker on May 08, 2013, 06:05:38 PM
:weep:

It happens. :console:

You get those anchors? I'm waiting, again, to see if I get selected.

No anchors for me... and that's OK.  I'd rather be working as opposed to running down dental dinq lists.
The final wisdom of life requires not the annulment of incongruity but the achievement of serenity within and above it.  - Reinhold Niebuhr

lustindarkness

Quote from: AnchorClanker on May 09, 2013, 03:06:12 PM
Quote from: lustindarkness on May 08, 2013, 07:25:13 PM
Quote from: AnchorClanker on May 08, 2013, 06:05:38 PM
:weep:

It happens. :console:

You get those anchors? I'm waiting, again, to see if I get selected.

No anchors for me... and that's OK.  I'd rather be working as opposed to running down dental dinq lists.

LOL, ain't that the truth!
I am so tired of the paperwork and supervising kids that I kinda don't want to get selected.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

AnchorClanker

TRUF.   :hug:

I like being a tech lead / subject matter expert.  I'm not interested in the CPO Mess politics and all that.  I'll stay where I am at and train the kids on how to work, and that's where I need to be.
The final wisdom of life requires not the annulment of incongruity but the achievement of serenity within and above it.  - Reinhold Niebuhr

Admiral Yi

Are youse guys talking about making warrant officer?

AnchorClanker

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 09, 2013, 03:11:46 PM

In the USN, you have to make Chief (E-7) first and also have at least 12 years in... but nowadays the Warrants are just used a 'less-expensive' Limited Duty Officers... and wind up doing admin instead of doing tech health and training (like they are supposed to do).

The Army will allow you to go Warrant at E-5/E-6 for technical specialties, and that seems to work pretty well for them.
Not so sure about the USMC warrants, but something tells me that they can apply as an E-6.

lustindarkness

No no no. Chief Petty Officer.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

CountDeMoney

Plenty of petty motherfuckers around here could qualify for that.

Phillip V

I aim to become E-7 or O-1 next year. :)

Tonitrus

Quote from: AnchorClanker on May 09, 2013, 03:14:53 PM

In the USN, you have to make Chief (E-7) first and also have at least 12 years in... but nowadays the Warrants are just used a 'less-expensive' Limited Duty Officers... and wind up doing admin instead of doing tech health and training (like they are supposed to do).

The Army will allow you to go Warrant at E-5/E-6 for technical specialties, and that seems to work pretty well for them.
Not so sure about the USMC warrants, but something tells me that they can apply as an E-6.

And when people in the USAF make noise about bringing back our warrants for technical expertise, someone just says "we have those guys, they're called Technical Sergeants (E-6's)".  Which is, of course, BS.  At E-6 in the USAF, there's a 60-70% chance you'll be one of the guys hunting down those dental delinquents.

MadBurgerMaker

LDOs and WOs are better than "regular" officers in almost every way up through at least Lieutenant or so.  After that, the regular Os seem to generally calm the fuck down a little. :P

E:  I should include "prior enlisted" officers in there with the WOs and LDOs.  It was a shock when the LT on the boat, who was prior enlisted, transferred out. and was replaced by this Annapolis ringknocker type LT.  This tool had a nice habit of going around and giving white glove inspections in the enlisted berthing area while everyone was working or at the "after hours" ESWS training, etc.  He'd wait outside wherever you were and show you this glove with some dust on it, noting that it came from the fucking A/C vent or on a pipe up above the overhead (there were office-like dropped ceilings in a lot of the spaces on the ship, including berthing) or some place similarly dumb, and telling you that since you failed the inspection, you had to stand a formal one in whites the next day after work.  What a douche.

derspiess

Quote from: Phillip V on May 09, 2013, 03:43:06 PM
I aim to become E-7 or O-1 next year. :)

I had a lot of fun as an O-0 :P

Wish I had taken that reserve commission, though.  Damn, who'd a known :mellow:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Josephus

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 09, 2013, 11:32:48 AM

You pay for your doctor? :huh:
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

fhdz

Quote from: Josephus on May 09, 2013, 05:46:25 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on May 09, 2013, 11:32:48 AM

You pay for your doctor? :huh:

So do you, with tax money.
and the horse you rode in on

DGuller

Quote from: derspiess on May 09, 2013, 08:57:21 AM
Cape May is kinda nice.  But of course South Jersey's completely different altogether.
West is nice too.