News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

There must be some safeguard to keep us dangerously unhinged types away from jury duty cause I've never been called.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Quote from: ulmont on February 25, 2013, 07:06:58 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 25, 2013, 06:53:39 PM
I thought lawyers were exempt?

No one is exempt unless they meet pretty clearly defined criteria:
Wait, why is living in Fulton county a reason to be exempt?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

I've never been called either, but I think it's cause they usually use voter registration lists.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ed Anger

I think I've got a touch of the flu.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Josephus

Quote from: Neil on February 25, 2013, 07:57:13 PM
Jury duty seems really common down there.  I've never known a Canadian who did jury duty.

I actually did get my notice once. But as a student I was able to defer it. That was 25 years ago. haven't been called since. But I have known a few people who have served.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

ulmont

Quote from: Razgovory on February 25, 2013, 08:02:39 PM
Wait, why is living in Fulton county a reason to be exempt?

It's not.  NOT living in Fulton county at the time of service is a reason to be exempt from Fulton county jury service, because this is the set of requirements for Fulton county.

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 25, 2013, 08:05:20 PM
I've never been called either, but I think it's cause they usually use voter registration lists.

They also use the driver's license / state ID forms, as they are keen to report all the time to make it clear that not being registered to vote is no escape.

Eddie Teach

Sure, but if they use the voter list once and then the driver's license list once, not registering still cuts your chances in half.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

ulmont

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 25, 2013, 09:01:59 PM
Sure, but if they use the voter list once and then the driver's license list once, not registering still cuts your chances in half.

Assuming they don't bother to de-duplicate, sure.

Admiral Yi

Some fun factoids from an Economist article about Scotch whisky.

France is the #1 consumer in the world, drinking twice as much as the US.  Spain drinks more than China.

In the 19th century Irish whisky was considered more posh than Scotch.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas

It is rumored that the Hungarian government is working on buying Vodafone's business in Hungary.

WHY. Just.. WHY?!

Malthus

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 25, 2013, 06:53:39 PM
I thought lawyers were exempt?

Depends on the jurisdiction. Lawyers are certainly exempt (or rather, "ineligible" meaning they can't serve even if they want to) in Ontario, together with politicos, judges, docs and cops. Even law students are exempt!

From the Juries Act:

Quote3.  (1)  The following persons are ineligible to serve as jurors:

1. Every member of the Privy Council of Canada or the Executive Council of Ontario.

2. Every member of the Senate, the House of Commons of Canada or the Assembly.

3. Every judge and every justice of the peace.

4. Every barrister and solicitor and every student-at-law.

5. Every legally qualified medical practitioner and veterinary surgeon who is actively engaged in practice and every coroner.

6. Every person engaged in the enforcement of law including, without restricting the generality of the foregoing, sheriffs, wardens of any penitentiary, superintendents, jailers or keepers of prisons, correctional institutions or lockups, sheriff's officers, police officers, firefighters who are regularly employed by a fire department for the purposes of subsection 41 (1) of the Fire Protection and Prevention Act, 1997, and officers of a court of justice. R.S.O. 1990, c. J.3, s. 3 (1); 1994, c. 27, s. 48 (1); 1997, c. 4, s. 82.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Malthus

Quote from: HVC on February 26, 2013, 08:52:30 AM
Why doctors?

For the same reason as lawyers or cops - fear that their specialized expertise will naturally cause the rest of the jury to defer to them, particularly as so many cases are likely to involve medical or forensic evidence.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Josquius

is stagnatory a real word?
a google search suggests no....but sounds like it should be.
██████
██████
██████