News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Quote from: garbon on January 31, 2012, 11:10:37 AM
Everyone around her was also immediately hostile and the black guy received better treatment. Win?
Win-win.  The only loser is the guy in the first class seat, who wasn't going to have a neighbor, and now does.

garbon

At any rate - there is probably something unethical about keeping a passenger next to a passenger who is racist against him.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 31, 2012, 11:16:01 AM
Quote from: DGuller on January 31, 2012, 10:52:21 AM
She wanted to not sit next to a black man.  Not only did she end up not sitting next to a black man, she also wound up sitting next to an empty seat, which is a luxury on an airplane.  Presumably she would've been happy to sit next to someone, just not someone of the color she disapproved of.

She got punked.
If she hated sitting next to a black man so much, I'm sure being led on for a couple of seconds and subtly insulted was worth it in order to have him removed.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: DGuller on January 31, 2012, 11:19:18 AM
If she hated sitting next to a black man so much, I'm sure being led on for a couple of seconds and subtly insulted was worth it in order to have him removed.

She got punked something fierce and the negro was removed from a very unpleasant situation and rewarded.  You can be anal about it if you want, but there was no superior outcome.

The Brain

Whatever gets you through the day, Yi.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 31, 2012, 11:22:10 AM
Quote from: DGuller on January 31, 2012, 11:19:18 AM

She got punked something fierce and the negro was removed from a very unpleasant situation and rewarded.  You can be anal about it if you want, but there was no superior outcome.
Black man being rewarded means very little.  It's not like she wanted him to suffer, she just didn't want him to be next to her.  I doubt that she cared much whether that was accomplished by moving him to first class, or by summarily executing him.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: DGuller on January 31, 2012, 11:29:12 AM
Black man being rewarded means very little.  It's not like she wanted him to suffer, she just didn't want him to be next to her.  I doubt that she cared much whether that was accomplished by moving him to first class, or by summarily executing him.

Name a superior outcome.

The Brain

The racists in 1st class probably got him sent to unpressurized cargo.

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 31, 2012, 11:30:30 AM

Name a superior outcome.
Requested outcome:  racist lady sits next to someone non-black.  Actual outcome:  racist lady sits next to an empty chair.  Actual outcome > requested outcome.  QED.  I don't see what's so hard to see.

Yes, I get it, the lady was being a racist douche, and her racism actually got the black guy a free-ride.  We're supposed to celebrate her overt racism "backfiring".  That doesn't mean that this fable didn't miss the less obvious point that the racist lady won as well, and it was the black guy's first class neighbor who is paying for the moral lesson being taught to all of us.

The Brain

Quote from: DGuller on January 31, 2012, 11:38:46 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 31, 2012, 11:30:30 AM

Name a superior outcome.
Requested outcome:  racist lady sits next to someone non-black.  Actual outcome:  racist lady sits next to an empty chair.  Actual outcome > requested outcome.  QED.  I don't see what's so hard to see.

Yes, I get it, the lady was being a racist douche, and her racism actually got the black guy a free-ride.  We're supposed to celebrate her overt racism "backfiring".  That doesn't mean that this fable didn't miss the less obvious point that the racist lady won as well, and it was the black guy's first class neighbor who is paying for the moral lesson being taught to all of us.

QFT

Admiral Yi

Quote from: DGuller on January 31, 2012, 11:38:46 AM

It's not hard to see.  And you still haven't answered my question, and the reason is because there is no superior outcome.  The only way to make the woman suffer in net terms is to make the innocent negro suffer as well. 

Neil

Quote from: DGuller on January 31, 2012, 11:17:51 AM
Quote from: garbon on January 31, 2012, 11:10:37 AM
Everyone around her was also immediately hostile and the black guy received better treatment. Win?
Win-win.  The only loser is the guy in the first class seat, who wasn't going to have a neighbor, and now does.
You don't have neighbors in first class, at least not on long-haul flights.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 31, 2012, 11:42:21 AM
It's not hard to see.  And you still haven't answered my question, and the reason is because there is no superior outcome.  The only way to make the woman suffer in net terms is to make the innocent negro suffer as well.
I thought I did just answer it.  Or are you asking me about the superior outcome from a moral perspective, rather than the lady's perspective?

Neil

Quote from: DGuller on January 31, 2012, 11:58:32 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 31, 2012, 11:42:21 AM
I thought I did just answer it.  Or are you asking me about the superior outcome from a moral perspective, rather than the lady's perspective?
The lady loses from her perspective, because a black is being treated better than her.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

The Brain