Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

Quote from: Neil on January 31, 2012, 11:45:44 AM
Quote from: DGuller on January 31, 2012, 11:17:51 AM
Quote from: garbon on January 31, 2012, 11:10:37 AM
Everyone around her was also immediately hostile and the black guy received better treatment. Win?
Win-win.  The only loser is the guy in the first class seat, who wasn't going to have a neighbor, and now does.
You don't have neighbors in first class, at least not on long-haul flights.

People tend to confuse first class with business class.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Admiral Yi

Quote from: DGuller on January 31, 2012, 11:58:32 AM
I thought I did just answer it.  Or are you asking me about the superior outcome from a moral perspective, rather than the lady's perspective?

From the moral perspective.

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 31, 2012, 12:09:10 PM
Quote from: DGuller on January 31, 2012, 11:58:32 AM
I thought I did just answer it.  Or are you asking me about the superior outcome from a moral perspective, rather than the lady's perspective?

From the moral perspective.
"M'am, we have another seat available, would you like to take it?"
"Sure."
"All right.  It's on the next flight, it boards four hours from now."

Admiral Yi

Quote from: DGuller on January 31, 2012, 01:02:23 PM
"Sure."

Your choice leaves open the possibility that Lady Klan will opt out and Innocent Negro will still be stuck next to her.  And it's not as fierce a punking as giving Innocent Negro the first class seat.

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 31, 2012, 01:31:10 PM
Quote from: DGuller on January 31, 2012, 01:02:23 PM
"Sure."

Your choice leaves open the possibility that Lady Klan will opt out and Innocent Negro will still be stuck next to her.  And it's not as fierce a punking as giving Innocent Negro the first class seat.
She already agreed.  And the captain doesn't want any racial tensions onboard, so he'll make sure she gets another seat.

PDH

I am not sure if this is better than the Lettow posts...
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Admiral Yi

Eddie Teach

Quote from: PDH on January 31, 2012, 01:52:44 PM
I am not sure if this is better than the Lettow posts...

I'm sure it's not. I want to hear more about Being the Little Girl.  :lol:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Lettow77

I was going out to eat with my two wonderful friends on campus, but they were walking too fast due to internal politics between them. I was unwilling to abandon my leisurely pace, and so eventually I just went back upstairs for tea when I fell too far behind.

I wouldn't say its a problem, but I feel as if this is a somewhat unique situation to have. Oh well- tea!  And I have a package in the mail from an admirer, who sent me more tea!

Edit: they came back! Leaving..
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Ed Anger

A former slave tells off his former master:

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/letter-freed-slave-former-master-draw-attention-151653952.html

Snip:

QuoteAs to my freedom, which you say I can have, there is nothing to be gained on that score, as I got my free papers in 1864 from the Provost-Marshal-General of the Department of Nashville. Mandy says she would be afraid to go back without some proof that you were disposed to treat us justly and kindly; and we have concluded to test your sincerity by asking you to send us our wages for the time we served you. This will make us forget and forgive old scores, and rely on your justice and friendship in the future. I served you faithfully for thirty-two years, and Mandy twenty years. At twenty-five dollars a month for me, and two dollars a week for Mandy, our earnings would amount to eleven thousand six hundred and eighty dollars. Add to this the interest for the time our wages have been kept back, and deduct what you paid for our clothing, and three doctor's visits to me, and pulling a tooth for Mandy, and the balance will show what we are in justice entitled to. Please send the money by Adams's Express, in care of V. Winters, Esq., Dayton, Ohio. If you fail to pay us for faithful labors in the past, we can have little faith in your promises in the future. We trust the good Maker has opened your eyes to the wrongs which you and your fathers have done to me and my fathers, in making us toil for you for generations without recompense. Here I draw my wages every Saturday night; but in Tennessee there was never any pay-day for the negroes any more than for the horses and cows. Surely there will be a day of reckoning for those who defraud the laborer of his hire.

Mew.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Jacob

Yeah saw that. Wish that guy could post here, but I guess he's dead now.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

QuoteSurely there will be a day of reckoning for those who defraud the laborer of his hire.

There was.  For many.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)