Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

toay i realised..the word folk is really dying out :(
██████
██████
██████

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Tamas

Quote from: Tyr on November 26, 2011, 08:35:10 AM

in Japan? Stop the presses!

:P

Eddie Teach

The world needs the word folk like I need a hole in my head.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 25, 2011, 03:39:35 AM
I bit into a pear and my teeth clashed.  Now I think it's done something to the tooth - it hurts to drink cold water or open my mouth outside :weep:

I chipped off the tip of one of my incisors biting into a slice of pizza like that.   :console:
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

jimmy olsen

In what context? People say folks in America all the time.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ideologue

As in the formulation, "One folk, one country, one leader."
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Ideologue on November 26, 2011, 12:00:35 PM
As in the formulation, "One folk, one country, one leader."

Obama 2012.   :showoff:
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."

Josquius

Quote from: Tamas on November 26, 2011, 10:04:16 AM

in Japan? Stop the presses!

:P
Ney, Britain.
Was watching a documentary about George Formby and it showed some old interviews with him where he used the word folk in the sort of way you just don't hear it these days ("Of course some old folk"...)
People has just replaced folk wholesale these days except when folk is used to mean quaint old timey stuff (i.e. music, festival, etc...)
██████
██████
██████

Ideologue

Well, I'm all for a mental patient setting fire to Congress.  Raz, are you busy?
Kinemalogue

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Ideologue on November 26, 2011, 12:08:21 PM
Well, I'm all for a mental patient setting fire to Congress.  Raz, are you busy?

"My fellow Americans, on the basis of Article 48 of the Constitution of the United States, the following is ordered in defense against Tea Partei state-endangering acts of violence...."

Razgovory

Quote from: Ideologue on November 26, 2011, 12:08:21 PM

Yeah, I'm all booked for fire starting.  The Mind-Spiders have me working like hell these days.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 26, 2011, 10:07:38 AM
The world needs the word folk like I need a hole in my head.

"Folk" isn't the problem.  "Volk" usually has been.

Eddie Teach

I was just paraphrasing a song.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

jimmy olsen

Went down to the bar after coming back from Okie's with my folks, an awesome Japanese restaurant. They cook on an habachi grill right in front of you, the food's expensive but the drinks are cheep.

At the bar they had the usual old guy rock band, manned by men in their late 40s to late 50s. They were serviceably good but nothing special. Then during their break a quartet of young guys who happened to be at the bar got permission to play. A couple of these guys were such stereotypical looking hipster douchebags it was all I could do to keep myself from punching their faces into paste.

Then they stared to play...it was like I was being flayed alive and purified by the power of their rock. They played obscure favorite of mine after obscure favorite and just destroyed it.

Jesus Christ...tie me to a whipping post...it was just incredible. :punk:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point