And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

Looks like a normal city to me.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ed Anger

There was a semi-serious proposal in the 90's to wall them off.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Ideologue on October 08, 2011, 05:51:14 PM
I thought you were from S. Carolina, not Detroit.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ideologue

Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 08, 2011, 06:02:28 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on October 08, 2011, 05:51:14 PM
I thought you were from S. Carolina, not Detroit.

Well, our fields aren't dead mud.  I guess we've got that going for us.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Razgovory

Quote from: Ideologue on October 08, 2011, 05:40:30 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on October 08, 2011, 04:42:31 PM
My sister just called.  From a Gas Station... In East St. Louis.  Her mother in law who is driving her down here is evidently an idiot.

I feel I'm lacking context.

You don't go to East St. Louis.  Lord Humungous won't slow down in that place.  It's not really a city, it's the ruins of a city where post-human tribes wage endless war.  When I was there, the traffic lights didn't work.  They filmed "Escape from New York" there in the 1970's.

QuoteBernardi suggested East St. Louis, Illinois, because it was filled with old buildings "that exist in New York now, and [that] have that seedy run-down quality" that the team was looking for.[12] East St. Louis, sitting across the Mississippi River from the more prosperous St. Louis, Missouri, had entire neighborhoods burned out in 1976 during a massive urban fire. Hill said in an interview, "block after block was burnt-out rubble. In some places there was absolutely nothing, so that you could see three and four blocks away."[11] As well, Alves found an old bridge to double for the "69th St. Bridge". The filmmaker purchased the Old Chain of Rocks Bridge for one dollar from the government and then gave it back to them for a dollar, "so that they wouldn't have any liability," Hill remembers.[11] Locations across the river in St. Louis, Missouri were used, including Union Station and the Fox Theater, both of which have since been renovated.[13]

It's like Somali on the Mississippi.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ideologue

I have to expect there is some exaggeration in your account.  It's still American soil.  Thus, it's by default better than Somalia.  Also, it's only like two miles away in any direction from better vistas, so worst to worst all you have to do is walk for twenty minutes and you're out.
Kinemalogue

Razgovory

There was an attempted communist revolution there, Ide.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Ideologue

Kinemalogue

Razgovory

Quote from: Ideologue on October 08, 2011, 06:47:48 PM
Neat. :)

Maybe it is your type of place.

QuoteJohn Chamberlin is elected mayor. He campaigns on the slogan: "Make East St. Louis a little more like home and a little less like Hell."
This was back in 1913...

Grinning_Colossus

Was that the attempted communist revolution?
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

Razgovory

Quote from: Grinning_Colossus on October 08, 2011, 10:29:11 PM
Was that the attempted communist revolution?

No.  That was closer to the massive race riots where they killed like a hundred black people and threw them in the river.

Tamas

-our president negotiated with qadaffi just some months ago
-our PM negotiated with mubarak like 2 or 3 weeks before tahrir square
this week, our PM visited...

saud arabia

:ph34r:

DGuller

Can he visit Putin next, please?

Ideologue

Quote from: Tamas on October 09, 2011, 03:07:22 PM
-our president negotiated with qadaffi just some months ago
-our PM negotiated with mubarak like 2 or 3 weeks before tahrir square
this week, our PM visited...

saud arabia

:ph34r:

So Hungary likes doomed dictators?  I've known that since 1939; although I'd had my suspicions since 1920. :P
Kinemalogue

Caliga

Quote from: Ideologue on October 08, 2011, 06:03:42 PM
Well, our fields aren't dead mud.  I guess we've got that going for us.
Columbia seemed pretty nice when I was there... and I'm not talking about Irmo where we met up, but Columbia proper, which I was in unexpectedly cause I made a wrong turn. :blush:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points