News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

I've recently discovered possibly the greatest Japanese invention ever which is weirdly not available in the west.
It is called ukon no chikara. Its some weird little ginger flavoured drink which costs about a dollar for a wee little baby sized bottle. But you guzzle it before you start guzzling booze and the hang overs just do not come. It is amazing.

Oh.
And an amusing bit of Japanese language I learned today- the word for prisoner is pronounced pretty much the same as the word for husband with just one slightly stretched letter between them.
Its funny because from what I hear it is true.
██████
██████
██████

CountDeMoney

Nobody gives a rat fuck about

Oh, I'm sorry Tyr.  I thought you were Lettow for a moment.  Nevermind.

CountDeMoney

QuoteHELSINKI (Reuters) - Angry Birds will migrate from cellphone screens to the Formula One racetrack this weekend in Singapore, as the firm behind the mobile gaming sensation rolls out a crowd game to be played by live audiences.

Gaming firm Rovio has teamed up with Singapore Telecommunications for the Singapore launch, having created the crowd game with Finnish startup Uplause Ltd, the creators of the world's first live event gaming platform.

"We think this new form of gaming will give fans a great opportunity to form a strong emotional connection with the characters," Rovio's marketing chief Peter Vesterbacka said in a statement.

Unlike most mobile-game crazes, Angry Birds -- in which players use a slingshot to attack the pigs who stole the birds' eggs -- has stayed at the top of the charts.

In the crowd game, viewers control the slingshot on jumboscreens with their voices.

After Singapore, Rovio and Uplause plan to take the new gaming experience to the biggest live events in the world -- to sports stadiums and rock concerts.

The gaming company is expanding the brand across traditional merchandising, to things such as toys and baby products, and is talking to film studios about taking the birds to the big screen.

Earlier this year, Rovio raised $42 million from venture capital firms in an investment co-led by Accel Partners, which has previously backed Facebook and Baidu, and Skype founder Niklas Zennstroem's venture capital firm Atomico Ventures.

Rovio was founded in 2003 after three students including Niklas Hed -- CEO Mikael Hed's cousin and now Rovio's COO -- won a game-development competition sponsored by Nokia Oyj and Hewlett-Packard CO. It changed its name from Relude in 2005.

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

derspiess

I saw Obama's motorcade a few minutes ago.  That bridge he used to pull his little political stunt is right next to my office :mellow:

Just glad he got the hell out of here before rush hour.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

AnchorClanker

Quote from: Tyr on September 22, 2011, 05:09:37 AM
And an amusing bit of Japanese language I learned today- the word for prisoner is pronounced pretty much the same as the word for husband with just one slightly stretched letter between them.

I love how many (if not most) languages have something like this - Arabic slang for a ring is a "Mahbus" - That which imprisons you...  :lol:
The final wisdom of life requires not the annulment of incongruity but the achievement of serenity within and above it.  - Reinhold Niebuhr

The Larch

Quote from: AnchorClanker on September 22, 2011, 04:12:44 PM

I love how many (if not most) languages have something like this - Arabic slang for a ring is a "Mahbus" - That which imprisons you...  :lol:

The formal word in Spanish for wife, "esposa", is the same as handcuff.  :lol:

HVC

I still find it amusing that the bridal corus sounds like a sped up version of the funeral march.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Malthus

Quote from: HVC on September 22, 2011, 04:26:22 PM
I still find it amusing that the bridal corus sounds like a sped up version of the funeral march.

Heh I read that as "bridal coitus".  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Kleves

How does killing all the Sith bring "balance" to the Force?
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Neil

Quote from: Kleves on September 22, 2011, 05:37:04 PM
How does killing all the Sith bring "balance" to the Force?
Because they also killed all the Jedi.  In the end, only Luke was left, and he was a little bit of both.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Tonitrus

Quote from: The Larch on September 22, 2011, 04:17:53 PM

The Russian equivalent is "брак", which is a word for marriage.  Or a flaw, defect, or waste.

DGuller

Ideologue

Quote from: Tonitrus on September 22, 2011, 06:35:28 PM
Quote from: The Larch on September 22, 2011, 04:17:53 PM

The Russian equivalent is "брак", which is a word for marriage.  Or a flaw, defect, or waste.

I liked him on Space Ghost Coast to Coast.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

HVC

And even after millinia of warnings men still get married. Tsk tsk :D
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.