Massacre at historic African American Church in Charleston

Started by jimmy olsen, June 18, 2015, 12:10:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Quote from: Valmy on June 23, 2015, 08:54:17 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on June 23, 2015, 08:51:35 AM
I guess I won't be buying my confederate themed party supplies at Wally World anymore.

General Lee's birthday just won't be the same. :(

Fucking penis haircut guy ruined it for all of us.  :mad:
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Berkut

Quote from: Valmy on June 23, 2015, 08:53:40 AM
In the 1980s? We still had school busing back then. I actually think segregation is more of a thing today than it was then.

QuoteI suggest that it being more prevalent is not evidence that the flag is not about racism, but rather exactly the opposite.

I don't think its prevalence means it wasn't about racism. I don't think we were suggesting that. It was prevalent because it always had been and it slowly and quietly went away. You can see why those carrying a flame for the flag are now starting to get more shrill. As far as I am concerned the only place I ever want to see a St. Andrew's cross Confederate Flag again is in a museum with other old relics.

Gotcha, and agree.

I think we see it a lot less because in fact the south has made impressive cultural strides in their refusal to tolerate racism.

It is just one of those remaining stubborn pieces that need to be cleaned up. Kind of sad that it took something like this to make it happen.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

alfred russel

Quote from: Berkut on June 23, 2015, 08:48:05 AM

The assumption here seems to be that since it was much more prevalent it wasn't really about racism.

There was something else much more prevalent in the South at that time as well - segregation.

I suggest that it being more prevalent is not evidence that the flag is not about racism, but rather exactly the opposite.

"What the flag is about", like with any flag, is very much in the eye of the beholder. Some people see the US flag as representative of slavery, Native American genocide, and imperialism. Some don't.

Clearly racist groups have always used the confederate flag in a racist context. But at the same time it has also been used as a symbol of regional pride and heritage not unlike a scottish or welsh flag. Saying the purpose of the ubiquity of the flag in the 80s and 90s was all about expressing racism is rather stupid. I know my grandfather--who was very much opposed to segregation--would have been bewildered by attempts to take down the flag and considered it to be something borderline treasonous.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Valmy

'Heritage not hate' was the apologist slogan I saw alot in the 90s.

Best to just find something else to represent Southern pride. Like SEC football or something. No racism there.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Ed Anger

Quote from: Valmy on June 23, 2015, 09:09:43 AM
'Heritage not hate' was the apologist slogan I saw alot in the 90s.

Best to just find something else to represent Southern pride. Like SEC football or something. No racism there.

Harvey Updyke for Confederate President.

Valmy

Quote from: Ed Anger on June 23, 2015, 09:12:22 AM
Harvey Updyke for Confederate President.

That would start another Civil War! In Alabama.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Ed Anger

Valmy

Lusti would seize Mobile aboard his flagship 'Bo Jackson'

derspiess

I still don't see why they won't switch gears and use the actual Stars & Bars or Bonnie Blue flag.  People who are offended by the battle flag would have no clue what they mean.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

alfred russel

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 23, 2015, 04:07:15 AM
What do you attribute the change to?

Good manners and a desire not to offend.

There isn't a really good reason to fly the flag, and when some people think you are racist for doing so, then maybe you shouldn't from a practical point of view?

Its one of those things that when the flag is ubiquitous, it is one thing, but even for people that cheer on the confederacy in civil war movies, you have to wonder about the one guy wearing a confederate t shirt with a couple bumper stickers and if he is in the kkk or something.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

Valmy

QuoteI still don't see why they won't switch gears and use the actual Stars & Bars or Bonnie Blue flag.  People who are offended by the battle flag would have no clue what they mean.

Even if they did the Stars and Bars was never used by the KKK and the segregationalists.

That is what we do in Texas with the 'Six Flags'

There is a giant Confederate Flag waiving outside the Texas State History Museum right outside my office.

Being a nerd I get far more annoyed at the flag of Castile-Leon being used instead of the Spanish Bourbons flag or the Burgundian Cross of the Habsburgs. I mean geez the Spanish did not settle in Texas until centuries after Columbus.

alfred russel

Quote from: derspiess on June 23, 2015, 09:19:25 AM
I still don't see why they won't switch gears and use the actual Stars & Bars or Bonnie Blue flag.  People who are offended by the battle flag would have no clue what they mean.

That was the compromise in Georgia, when the state dropped the battle flag as the state flag.

Valmy

Quote from: alfred russel on June 23, 2015, 09:26:49 AM
Quote from: derspiess on June 23, 2015, 09:19:25 AM

That was the compromise in Georgia, when the state dropped the battle flag as the state flag.

So glad they did that. That was embarrassing. Even in 1991 I thought it was funny Clarence Thomas had a big Confederate Battle Flag on the wall of his office.

MadBurgerMaker

You know, now that I think about it, like Dorsey mentioned I don't see those battle flags around very much anymore either.   :hmm:  I can't even remember when I last saw a sticker of the thing on the back of a vehicle.  I almost wish the shitheads would go back to the racist flags and get rid of the dumbass "truck nuts" though like I saw this morning on the way to work.  I still don't understand why a person would want a nutsack hanging off their truck like that. 

E: To be fair, I'm not really looking out for Confederate flags, so I may just be missing them. 

Valmy

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on June 23, 2015, 09:56:57 AM
You know, now that I think about it, like Dorsey mentioned I don't see those battle flags around very much anymore either.   :hmm:  I can't even remember when I last saw a sticker of the thing on the back of a vehicle.  I almost wish the shitheads would go back to the racist flags and get rid of the dumbass "truck balls" though.  I still don't understand why a person would want a nutsack hanging off their truck like that. 

What I see a ton of these days is the Gonzales flag being used by gun nuts.

Except now like this:

Charming. Obama best beware.