And we're back!

Main Menu

Fitness 2015

Started by Maladict, December 28, 2014, 02:07:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 27, 2015, 02:33:49 PM
Quote from: Zanza on January 25, 2015, 08:29:37 AM
How do you guys measure your heart rate when working out? I just got the Mio Alpha, which seems to work fine. Too bad my crappy old mobile phone doesn't have BTL4 to sync it.
I, every now and then, hold the heart rate thingies on the machine.
Same.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

mongers

Popped out on Sunday to do a quick 25 miles, I think that was the first time I've fully exercised my lungs in nearly 3 months.   :blush:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

crazy canuck

Quote from: Zanza on January 25, 2015, 08:29:37 AM
How do you guys measure your heart rate when working out? I just got the Mio Alpha, which seems to work fine. Too bad my crappy old mobile phone doesn't have BTL4 to sync it.

I don't.  Not really sure why most people do.

Sheilbh

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 27, 2015, 03:39:21 PM

I'm trying to improve my heart/lung fitness after years of smoking. Don't know if measuring it will help as I don't really know what to look for.
Let's bomb Russia!

Eddie Teach

It's a good indicator when you're pushing too hard.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

crazy canuck

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 27, 2015, 03:41:34 PM

I'm trying to improve my heart/lung fitness after years of smoking. Don't know if measuring it will help as I don't really know what to look for.

Meh, you are not really going for an optimal range like an athlete who is preparing for a competition.  I think its mostly hype - unless there is some underlying medical condition that requires you to keep you heart rate within a particular range.  Just get out there without worrying about whether you are doing it exactly right.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 27, 2015, 03:49:07 PM

Lots of other ways to tell that without having to buy a gadget.

mongers

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 27, 2015, 03:41:34 PM

Have you seen your doctor since you stopped smoking(?), maybe he could set out some positives specific to you or point you in the direction of some NHS funded post-quit smoking quango?

mongers

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 27, 2015, 03:57:18 PM

Yeah fitness doesn't have to be a equipment/kit/gadget enabled experience.

A lot of time you can just get out there, do it, enjoy it and not be encumbered by the materialism aspect of sports.

crazy canuck

Quote from: mongers on January 27, 2015, 03:59:45 PM

Yeah fitness doesn't have to be a equipment/kit/gadget enabled experience.

A lot of time you can just get out there, do it, enjoy it and not be encumbered by the materialism aspect of sports.

:yes:

Eddie Teach

Sure. But they're built in on elliptical machines and those tend to lessen/remove some of those other ways(such as being out of breath).
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

celedhring

Joined a gym this week; I'm hurting on places I didn't know that could hurt.

I'm determined to really improve my fitness though, I've got to the point where my back problems (which I have had since I was young) are getting worse due to my weight, and now that I'm nearing my late 30s I need to start taking care of myself.

mongers

Quote from: celedhring on January 27, 2015, 04:17:15 PM

I'm determined to really improve my fitness though, I've got to the point where my back problems (which I have had since I was young) are getting worse due to my weight, and now that I'm nearing my late 30s I need to start taking care of myself.

Yeah, no time like the present, with regards to fitness.

crazy canuck

:thumbsup:

spend a bit and get a trainer to show you some proper technique for building up your core strength.  You will avoid more pain in your back and with luck you might even get rid of the pain long before you lose significant weight.

celedhring

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 27, 2015, 04:27:39 PM

:thumbsup:

spend a bit and get a trainer to show you some proper technique for building up your core strength.  You will avoid more pain in your back and with luck you might even get rid of the pain long before you lose significant weight.

Had an appointment with a trainer today. She got me through a 100 min CTC routine. She's a psycho bitch, but it felt good somehow. She's also advised me to do pilates once I gain a bit of overall fitness, to help with my core strength.

According to their machine, just my lean mass is already higher than my ideal weight. My joints love me.