If you could quit your job tomorrow and be financially okay, would you?

Started by merithyn, September 17, 2013, 01:22:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Read the OP before voting to see what "financially okay" means.

Ab-so-LUTE-ly!
I'd have to seriously think about it, but probably, yeah
50/50 - I could stay or leave
Not likely
No way! Not nearly enough
No amount is enough. I'd be far too bored.

mongers

The reality is somewhat different:

What would you do if tomorrow your job quit you?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Ideologue

Quote from: garbon on September 17, 2013, 02:25:20 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on September 17, 2013, 02:19:08 PM
Quote from: garbon on September 17, 2013, 02:06:03 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on September 17, 2013, 02:02:35 PM
Get a two-income household though and blast that to $100k?  That's aristo livin'.

Where you are maybe.

I was gonna say 8X the poverty line in NYC, but...

I looked it up--do they really not calculate poverty line by geographical location?  That's the stupidest fucking thing I've ever heard of.  What's the point?

Actually apparently New York City has its own calculation. Still low though as it is 2 parent, 2 children on 31k is poor. NYT article then listed fed government says 22 for same family. :hmm:

That's more-or-less homeless in NYC, right?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

merithyn

Quote from: Ideologue on September 17, 2013, 02:28:57 PM

That's more-or-less homeless in NYC, right?

There are places for ~$1000 a month (I found them when we were looking), which fits that budget, but it would be tight and the places would be shit.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

crazy canuck

Quote from: mongers on September 17, 2013, 02:26:12 PM

Sometimes I think it wouldnt be such a bad thing.  Then I remember what it is like to be poor and I pick up the next file  :D

The Larch

Quote from: Zanza on September 17, 2013, 02:07:39 PM
Quote from: merithyn on September 17, 2013, 01:22:52 PM
When I say "financially okay", I don't mean that you've won the lottery or that you get a full-pay retirement package. I mean that you would be pulling in about 4 times the poverty line and would stay at that rate until you died.

Would you leave your job?

Poverty here is defined as having less than 60% of the average net income, which for a single is about 950 Euro. Living off 240% of the average net income, i.e. 3800 Euro/month net is very comfortable here. That would actually put you among the top 10% or so of the population. So the only reasons not to take this would be the chance to earn even more (i.e. be among the top 5% or so) or boredom without a job.

Here poverty is established at 7.300 € per year following the same criteria (might be EU wide definitions), so for poll purposes it'd mean living with slightly less than 30k € per year, which would be a pretty sweet deal.

mongers

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 17, 2013, 02:43:11 PM

Sometimes I think it wouldnt be such a bad thing.  Then I remember what it is like to be poor and I pick up the next file  :D

:yes: 
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

The Brain

Quote from: The Larch on September 17, 2013, 02:46:26 PM
Quote from: Zanza on September 17, 2013, 02:07:39 PM
Quote from: merithyn on September 17, 2013, 01:22:52 PM
When I say "financially okay", I don't mean that you've won the lottery or that you get a full-pay retirement package. I mean that you would be pulling in about 4 times the poverty line and would stay at that rate until you died.

Would you leave your job?

Poverty here is defined as having less than 60% of the average net income, which for a single is about 950 Euro. Living off 240% of the average net income, i.e. 3800 Euro/month net is very comfortable here. That would actually put you among the top 10% or so of the population. So the only reasons not to take this would be the chance to earn even more (i.e. be among the top 5% or so) or boredom without a job.

Here poverty is established at 7.300 € per year following the same criteria (might be EU wide definitions), so for poll purposes it'd mean living with slightly less than 30k € per year, which would be a pretty sweet deal.

Too little to live on, too much to die from.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Malthus

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 17, 2013, 02:08:10 PM
Whenever median family income reports come out for this area I wonder who the heck can live on that.

This.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 17, 2013, 02:43:11 PM

Just to annoy you, I'll say "me, too".  :P
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Grey Fox

Quebec's 2010 1 person household poverty line was 21 772$

Yes, I am willing to quit my job for 80k/year or as they say over 2 times my current salary.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Ideologue

Kinemalogue