News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Arab Spring, Round 2

Started by Savonarola, June 28, 2013, 01:24:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on July 08, 2013, 02:23:20 PM
Okay, and tell me how that fits with what Tamas said then.

You're right, Tamas jumped the rails a bit.

Viking

Quote from: Valmy on July 08, 2013, 02:05:04 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on July 08, 2013, 01:46:22 PM
That wasn't what viking said and that's what a judge does.  Viking said "It is the people acting in congress", which is really a means not an objective.

Well if that isn't than neither is 'doing stuff for people'.  Pretty sure the ancient Sumerians didn't create all those governments to do that.

The ancient Sumerians in all likelyhood created government to build and maintain city walls and irrigation ditches as well as meter and control water use.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 08, 2013, 02:20:09 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on July 08, 2013, 02:16:33 PM
Cause it's circular logic.

No it's not.  Timmy wants a colony on Mars.  You want a bigger disability check.  The purpose of democracy is decide which one we, as a collective, will do.

The purpose of democracy is not plant a colony on Mars.

True.
But Tamas said government, not democracy.
And Raz is correct that the purpose of government is not just to decide what to do but to actually do it.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Viking on July 06, 2013, 01:51:26 PM
They'll keep it up until the people of Egypt realize the most important truth about a democratic government. It isn't there to do stuff for the people. It is the people acting in congress. If the egyptian citizen think that he can just stand by while he grants the latest in a long line of coup victims to be license to try and run the country it will always fail.

I don't think you can conclude the the opposition to the Brotherhood government didn't understand that.  The complaint against Morsi was that he wasn't acting in concert according to the rules of the game but was absuing his authority to destroy all competing checks on his power and prepare the way for authoritarian, illiberal rule.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 08, 2013, 06:01:02 PM
True.

Tamas made his comment in response to Viking's post about Egyptians not understanding the purpose of *democratic* government.

QuoteAnd Raz is correct that the purpose of government is not just to decide what to do but to actually do it.

Raz said the purpose of government is to provide services to its citizenry.  There have been governments throughout history that have not cared a fig about this.  The Khmer Rouge, to start with.

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 08, 2013, 06:22:22 PM
Raz said the purpose of government is to provide services to its citizenry.  There have been governments throughout history that have not cared a fig about this.  The Khmer Rouge, to start with.
Not everything with a purpose ends up fulfilling it.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 08, 2013, 06:22:22 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 08, 2013, 06:01:02 PM
True.

Tamas made his comment in response to Viking's post about Egyptians not understanding the purpose of *democratic* government.

QuoteAnd Raz is correct that the purpose of government is not just to decide what to do but to actually do it.

Oh I don't know, the Khmer Rouge was know for it's fairly extensive adult education program.  "Services" can be any number of things including defense against enemies or running a system of laws.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Quote from: DGuller on July 08, 2013, 06:37:42 PM

A government that does not operate under the same assumptions as you is not proof your assumptions are correct.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on July 08, 2013, 07:06:03 PM
Oh I don't know, the Khmer Rouge was know for it's fairly extensive adult education program.  "Services" can be any number of things including defense against enemies or running a system of laws.

:D Sure, and they provided the valuable service of encouraging manual labor too.  And rezoning as well.

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 08, 2013, 07:15:36 PM
Quote from: DGuller on July 08, 2013, 06:37:42 PM

A government that does not operate under the same assumptions as you is not proof your assumptions are correct.
:huh: My statement is not trying to prove anything, it just refutes your reasoning.  The purpose of cops is to protect the public, and that would still be true even if one of the cops turns out to be a serial killer.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: DGuller on July 08, 2013, 07:36:16 PM
:huh: My statement is not trying to prove anything, it just refutes your reasoning.  The purpose of cops is to protect the public, and that would still be true even if one of the cops turns out to be a serial killer.

It's circular.  The true purpose of government(tm) is to provide services; any government that does not do so is not a true government(tm). 

There have been plenty of governments throughout history and across the world that had a different conception of the purpose of government.

Razgovory

I didn't know that Dguller made that argument.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 08, 2013, 07:20:37 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on July 08, 2013, 07:06:03 PM

:D Sure, and they provided the valuable service of encouraging manual labor too.  And rezoning as well.

They did have a military right?  That's a service.

DGuller

Quote from: Razgovory on July 08, 2013, 07:49:22 PM
I didn't know that Dguller made that argument.
Me neither.  IMO, DGuller was saying something completely different.