News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Arab Spring, Round 2

Started by Savonarola, June 28, 2013, 01:24:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

crazy canuck

Quote from: garbon on July 05, 2013, 10:15:20 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on July 04, 2013, 04:40:04 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on July 04, 2013, 04:10:15 PM
Assuming the next leader is a democratic one, I don't know that a Washington or a Mandela would be able to succeed. The problem with the coup is that a presumably large portion of population won't view the new administration as legitimate. Coupled with huge problems in Egypt, I don't think this is an opportunity for success.

Depends what you think "success" might be.  Egypt could very much use a Mandela who will not use power to further narrow political interests but rather will try to govern in an inclusive manner.  That seems to be one of the major problems with the Brotherhood.

Would that even be such a great thing? It isn't like South Africa is a lovely place post-Mandela.

A lot better than the alternative could have been.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on July 08, 2013, 03:47:51 AM
Quote from: Tamas on July 06, 2013, 02:15:17 PM
Quote from: Viking on July 06, 2013, 01:51:26 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 06, 2013, 01:06:06 PM
So they've named Mohamd Elbaradei as the next Egyptian PM to be overthrown by the army.

They'll keep it up until the people of Egypt realize the most important truth about a democratic government. It isn't there to do stuff for the people. It is the people acting in congress. If the egyptian citizen think that he can just stand by while he grants the latest in a long line of coup victims to be license to try and run the country it will always fail.

You are right but good luck with that. "Government isn't there to do stuff for people" is a novel concept to a significant portion of the world.

What is it there for, Tamas.

It's right there in the post Tamas quoted: to resolve differences of opinion.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 08, 2013, 12:51:58 PM

It's right there in the post Tamas quoted: to resolve differences of opinion.

That wasn't what viking said and that's what a judge does.  Viking said "It is the people acting in congress", which is really a means not an objective.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on July 08, 2013, 01:46:22 PM
That wasn't what viking said and that's what a judge does.  Viking said "It is the people acting in congress", which is really a means not an objective.

Going to court is not the only way to resolve differences.

Coming to a group decision when individuals have different preferences is very much the objective of democracy. 

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 08, 2013, 01:55:16 PM
Coming to a group decision when individuals have different preferences is very much the objective of democracy.
:hmm: I hope there are other objectives out there. :unsure:

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 08, 2013, 01:55:16 PM

Going to court is not the only way to resolve differences.

That's still really a means.  Your objective needs to be more then to accomplish objectives.  Still, that's presumably doing stuff for people.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Valmy

Well if that isn't than neither is 'doing stuff for people'.  Pretty sure the ancient Sumerians didn't create all those governments to do that.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on July 08, 2013, 02:03:38 PM
That's still really a means.  Your objective needs to be more then to accomplish objectives.  Still, that's presumably doing stuff for people.

OK Raz, what is the true objective of democracy?

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 08, 2013, 02:09:48 PM

OK Raz, what is the true objective of democracy?

To provide required and desired services to the citizenry.

Maximus

That's still really a means. 

What is government if not a means?

Quote from: Razgovory
Your objective needs to be more then to accomplish objectives.
Why?

Razgovory

Cause it's circular logic.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on July 08, 2013, 02:16:33 PM

No it's not.  Timmy wants a colony on Mars.  You want a bigger disability check.  The purpose of democracy is decide which one we, as a collective, will do.

The purpose of democracy is not plant a colony on Mars.

Maximus

Not at all. "objectives" implies that there is more than one objective in play(as does common sense), so one objective can reference another without causing a referential loop.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 08, 2013, 02:20:09 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on July 08, 2013, 02:16:33 PM

No it's not.  Timmy wants a colony on Mars.  You want a bigger disability check.  The purpose of democracy is decide which one we, as a collective, will do.

The purpose of democracy is not plant a colony on Mars.

Okay, and tell me how that fits with what Tamas said then.