News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: Barrister on October 16, 2024, 09:49:13 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on October 15, 2024, 08:04:42 PMMan, fixing the radio in my car will put me back 650 dollars. :glare:  The problem isn't just the radio doesn't work, it's that it plays weird static at full volume when I drive.  It's very annoying.

Can you just pull a fuse to disconnect the radio entirely?
I think I'm going to try something like that.  The main cost is the display that they want to replace.  The display isn't broken, but it won't work with any the radios the car stereo shop has.  Car is a Ford Focus 2013.  Not exactly ritzy.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Josquius

Quote from: Barrister on October 16, 2024, 11:27:01 AMAn independent stereo shop would likely be a bit cheaper - but do those even exist anymore?

It's funny how fads come and go - getting a custom car stereo used to be super common, but I don't think anyone bothers anymore.

I think the generic default speakers are just much better these days.
Also the stereo is solidly built into the cars control system. Not something that just slots in and out.
It's funny to look at media from the days of yore with car stereo theft as a thing - I remember my first car had a detachable front panel for the stereo to stop this.
██████
██████
██████

crazy canuck

My very favourite client back in the day specialized in custom car stereo installations.  The demand was huge, but as  Jos described, car manufacturers started to install high end stereos as part of the base model and effectively took all that profit margin from the specialty shops.

Grey Fox

I had that realization the other day.
I went from putting my radio front plate back to connecting Android auto to the infotainment system when getting into my car. There was also those weird 8 years where I did neither.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Sheilbh

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 16, 2024, 12:24:12 PMMy very favourite client back in the day specialized in custom car stereo installations.  The demand was huge, but as  Jos described, car manufacturers started to install high end stereos as part of the base model and effectively took all that profit margin from the specialty shops.
Semi-related but I saw a thing on the inverse relationship between market cap and number of cars sold in European car manufacturers (highest market cap = Ferrari and Porsche, lowest = VW). I knew about the luxury vehicle bit, but I was not aware how much money these companies make from basically really expensive high end customisations like you say.
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

I went to the dentist today and was told I have "textbook perfect teeth." I felt gratified but also couldn't help but wonder is that just the opinion of a British dentist?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

Its a backhanded insult. Your teeth lack character.
██████
██████
██████

crazy canuck

Quote from: garbon on October 17, 2024, 06:16:39 AMI went to the dentist today and was told I have "textbook perfect teeth." I felt gratified but also couldn't help but wonder is that just the opinion of a British dentist?

Yeah, it's a bit ambiguous. Like did you have just fewer cavities then what is considered normal in Britain?
Quote from: garbon on October 17, 2024, 06:16:39 AMI went to the dentist today and was told I have "textbook perfect teeth." I felt gratified but also couldn't help but wonder is that just the opinion of a British dentist?

So just a few crooked teeth?

garbon

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 17, 2024, 09:10:19 AM

Yeah, it's a bit ambiguous. Like did you have just fewer cavities then what is considered normal in Britain?

She said she was jealous of my teeth. :hmm:

Oh and I've never had a cavity.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

Quote from: garbon on October 17, 2024, 10:24:32 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on October 17, 2024, 09:10:19 AM

She said she was jealous of my teeth. :hmm:

Oh and I've never had a cavity.

Never had a cavity. Wow those are perfect teeth.

Josquius

OK. Sudden parenting dillema.
"Daddy. I don't like the moon"

... What do I do about that.
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

Tell him it's a supermoon and it won't always be like that.  Something abut the orbits.

The Brain

Quote from: Josquius on October 17, 2024, 01:34:03 PMOK. Sudden parenting dillema.

Speak not to me of blasphemy, man. I'd strike the sun if it insulted me. /some Starbuck boss
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josquius on October 17, 2024, 01:34:03 PMOK. Sudden parenting dillema.

"What don't you like about the moon?"

Grey Fox

Nothing. You do not have to do something at everything.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.