News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 13, 2024, 12:10:04 PMAh shit - that's really annoying.

Unfortunately think it is probably a film worth seeing in a cinema if you can :(

Definitely, I just need to find a few friends fond of body horror and make a trip to downtown BCN.  :P

Admiral Yi

Fail Safe 1965.

B&W drama of systems failure leading to a nuclear strike.  Dr. Strangelove played straight.

celedhring

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 14, 2024, 02:24:05 AMFail Safe 1965.

B&W drama of systems failure leading to a nuclear strike.  Dr. Strangelove played straight.

Odd coincidence. I just watched it last week.

It's a decent enough nuclear existential dread thriller, the problem is that Strangelove did the same exact plot as a farce (main difference is the reason the bombers get their orders, and the ending), and it's genius.

Kubrick sued them for plagiarism and ultimately had the studio buy the movie so it was released after Strangelove.

Admiral Yi

Why is that a problem?  Strangelove says laugh your way to the bunker, Fail Safe says let's find ways to mitigate the risks.  They're entirely different movies.

Sheilbh

You don't want two films coming out about the same thing near each other - and also I'm not sure you can have the nuclear existential comedy come out after the realistic depiction of what could go wrong (unless it's consciously parodying it).
Let's bomb Russia!

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 14, 2024, 01:57:50 PMYou don't want two films coming out about the same thing near each other -

That's the CW but is it true?
One year, I recall that two movies came out that were both period pictures about turn-of-the-century European stage magicians.  I think they both did very nicely at the box office.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 14, 2024, 02:24:05 AMFail Safe 1965.

I saw it as a teenager, became mini-obsessed enough to read the original novel.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Sheilbh

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 14, 2024, 02:15:26 PMThat's the CW but is it true?
One year, I recall that two movies came out that were both period pictures about turn-of-the-century European stage magicians.  I think they both did very nicely at the box office.
Maybe not. It could well be overstated.

Although the ones that spring to mind for me are Braveheart and Roby Roy, the two Capote films and the two Steve Jobs films - and feel like in all those case there was a definite winner and loser.

But it is also very, very possible that Kubrick just went into an obsessive spiral :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

grumbler

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 14, 2024, 04:27:03 AMWhy is that a problem?  Strangelove says laugh your way to the bunker, Fail Safe says let's find ways to mitigate the risks.  They're entirely different movies.

Strangelove started as a serious movie called Red Alert, based on the novel of the same name.  Fail-Safe (the book) came out in 1962, while Red Alert was first published (under a different name) in 1958.  When Fail-Safe (the book came out) there were rumblings of plagiarism, but the Red Alert author couldn't afford to pursue it and his tiny publisher was uninterested.

So Fail Safe (the movie; note the lack of a hyphen) and Red Alert (the movie) were in pre-production at about the same time.  Red Alert became Dr. Strangelove when Kubrick realized that the story made better sense as a dark comedy than a thriller and hastily re-wrote the script with the help of Terry Southern.  He decided to keep all of the actors hired for the drama (none of whom had worked in anything remotely comedic) and hired Peter Sellers to add some comic acting chops.  When Seller broke his leg, Kubrick brought in serious actor Slim Pickens.  Pickens was not told that the movie was a dark comedy.

In the event, Kubrick DID have the money to pursue plagiarism against the authors of Fail-Safe, and part of the settlement was that Colombia take over the release and not release it until eight months after Strangelove.

There are lots of bizarre stories about the filming of Strangelove.  More, I think, than for any other movie I know of.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

celedhring

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 14, 2024, 02:55:40 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 14, 2024, 02:15:26 PMThat's the CW but is it true?
Maybe not. It could well be overstated.

Although the ones that spring to mind for me are Braveheart and Roby Roy, the two Capote films and the two Steve Jobs films - and feel like in all those case there was a definite winner and loser.

But it is also very, very possible that Kubrick just went into an obsessive spiral :lol:

Deep Impact/Armaggedon comes to mind. Deep Impact came first and made less money than Armaggeddon, and had a fraction of its cultural impact - besides establishing Morgan Freeman as the go to actor for wizened above the fray political figures - but it was a success.

Regarding Strangelove, I think the parody aspect pre-empted the serious approach of Fail Safe, and made it more memorable. And it's just a better movie, anyway (again, Fail Safe is more than decent, Sidney Lumet was an excellent  director himself).

The Brain

Quote from: Tamas on October 11, 2024, 02:59:14 AM
Quote from: The Brain on October 11, 2024, 02:13:10 AMStarted on Those About To Die. I was surprised by the Elder Scroll. Nice crossover.

Oh my gawd SO BORING

Also I wonder if the slaves going everywhere they please including and especially other families' homes is historically accurate. Same question about the Nubian matriarch pwning the Romans in math and stuff.

Watched the second episode, and I realized what's so bad: the writing. The dialogue in particular is just horrible.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Darth Wagtaros

Larry Hagman was in FailSafe.  Maybe he made a wish he could get away from Dr Bellows and wound up in a WWIII alt world.
PDH!

Tamas

Quote from: The Brain on October 15, 2024, 05:31:16 AM
Quote from: Tamas on October 11, 2024, 02:59:14 AM
Quote from: The Brain on October 11, 2024, 02:13:10 AMStarted on Those About To Die. I was surprised by the Elder Scroll. Nice crossover.

Oh my gawd SO BORING

Also I wonder if the slaves going everywhere they please including and especially other families' homes is historically accurate. Same question about the Nubian matriarch pwning the Romans in math and stuff.

Watched the second episode, and I realized what's so bad: the writing. The dialogue in particular is just horrible.

True.

Josquius

So joker 2 seems to be a flop.
Got to say, I was surprised to hear of its release a few weeks ago as I thought it had long since been out. Something went weirdly wrong there.
██████
██████
██████

Darth Wagtaros

That mean we won't see The Joker cinematic universe?
PDH!