News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Watched the first episode of "Rivals" on Disney. Because David tenant.

A drama about local TV in the 80s.

This... Is weird. It's an adaptation of a random no name 80s romance book. And seems confused whether it's a straight adaptation or a pastisch.
I will leave this one for my gf to watch in her own time.

But Ludwig though. It's very formulaic of detective shows. But still good.
██████
██████
██████

garbon

Quote from: Josquius on October 24, 2024, 06:03:13 AMWatched the first episode of "Rivals" on Disney. Because David tenant.

A drama about local TV in the 80s.

This... Is weird. It's an adaptation of a random no name 80s romance book. And seems confused whether it's a straight adaptation or a pastisch.
I will leave this one for my gf to watch in her own time.

But Ludwig though. It's very formulaic of detective shows. But still good.

Even I know Dame Jilly Cooper is no slouch in the UK.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Sheilbh

Yeah Jilly Cooper's Rivals was massive - like the romance equivalent of John Grisham.
Let's bomb Russia!

Savonarola

The Last of Sheila (1973)

A year ago Sheila was killed in a tragic hit-and-run accident.  Now, exactly a year later, her widower invites a group of people who, coincidentally, were all at the party on his mansion the night his wife died, to a party aboard a yacht.  He plans to make a movie about her life, but first he plays a "Secrets" game with them.  Then the host dies, but who is the real killer?

This is the sort of movie where, as you might expect, there are a number of unexpected plot twists and, just as you would think, the killer isn't who you think it is.  It was written by Anthony Perkins and Stephen Sondheim; so it is a good deal of campy fun (weirdly Sondheim didn't write the soundtrack.)  Raquel Welch is in it; in what is by far one of her most challenging roles: playing Raquel Welch.  Fortunately most of her other parts didn't demand that much out of her.  James Mason in it; his secret is that he's child molester.  I just knew there was something going on between him and Sue Lyon in that one film they were both in. 
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock