News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 11, 2024, 08:09:08 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on September 10, 2024, 10:47:35 PMThe story changes through the series, as do the main players, so I am not sure what you mean by one note.
I'm not sure story is even in the top 10 of why I enjoyed the Dune films :lol:

I get the story changes but I mean vibe - the aesthetic, the style, the mood and tone, the world it's built in.

I feel like it's easier to go from Star Wars (mass market adventure film for all the family) to then explore maybe the darker sides of that universe and it still works on a vibe level (Rogue One and, I've heard, Andor). I think it's more difficult to go from the Dune story to an extended universe - either the vibe stays which would become one note or it's really really jarringly different (a wisecracking Spice smuggler, say).

But that's just the thing, the Planet portrayed in the first book changes dramatically.  So there is no chance that There will be just one note.

And the planet changing dramatically is the least of the dramatic changes that occur.

celedhring

Bettlejuice x2

As far as nostalgiaxplotation goes, this isn't the worst of all. Slow in parts, but some brilliant stuff sprinkled here and there, with a really fun (if messy) last third. It's fanservicey but not to outrageous or sentimental levels. As expected the movie is at its best when Keaton is in it (and I feared they would overuse him compared to the first movie, but they don't), but Catherine O'Hara steals every scene she's in too.

Overall this is the best Burton movie since... Big Fish? (depends on your opinion on Wonka) which isn't saying much, but it's saying something. There are some little flashes of fun nasty Burton here and there (like the giallo homage scene, and some unexpected body horror stuff played totally for laughs).

The lengths they go to include Jeffrey Jones' character without including Jeffrey Jones himself are hilarious and I want to believe it's plain trolling :D

Grey Fox

Quote from: Josquius on September 11, 2024, 02:55:07 AM
Quote from: Valmy on September 10, 2024, 07:18:26 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 10, 2024, 05:22:44 PMI didn't know Denis Villeneuve was a Quebeconite.

Oh yeah. I enjoy it when he and Timothée Chalamet go on their press tours in France.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gn_rHritEk

It is cool for me because I can really hear the difference between Denis' Quebec accent and the French accent.

Is villeneuve toning it down for the audience at all here?
As though... Gruff. He still sounds pretty "standard". Though from what I've heard most euro Francophones say about Quebecois is that if British English is French French then Quebecois is more comparable to Appalachian than standard American?

Not really, he's an intellectual that makes film in America. I expect he internationalized is french a long time ago. He sounds the same when doing Quebec tv.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Sheilbh

It could also just reflect the attitudes of certain French people, perhaps particularly from Paris, towards other people speaking French :P :ph34r:

I have friends who have English as a second language who find it slightly enraging that people don't correct mistakes here (I do for them now, but didn't). Because, I think, from our perspective it would be rude and we could understand - from their perspective their friends were letting them think mistakes were correct so they kept on making them. My experience is that the French have no such hesitation :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 13, 2024, 07:08:36 AMIt could also just reflect the attitudes of certain French people, perhaps particularly from Paris, towards other people speaking French :P :ph34r:

I have friends who have English as a second language who find it slightly enraging that people don't correct mistakes here (I do for them now, but didn't). Because, I think, from our perspective it would be rude and we could understand - from their perspective their friends were letting them think mistakes were correct so they kept on making them. My experience is that the French have no such hesitation :lol:

No, they'll just outright pretend not to understand if your pronunciation is even slightly off. <_<
██████
██████
██████

Valmy

Quote from: Josquius on September 13, 2024, 08:42:15 AMNo, they'll just outright pretend not to understand if your pronunciation is even slightly off. <_<

Huh. My pronunciation must have been really good then  :unsure:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Brain

Lawrence of Arabia. First time I've seen it in years. It is still a great movie. "There's nothing in the desert. And no man needs nothing."
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josquius

I finished sweet tooth series 3.
It's all right. Loses quality after series 1 but ok.
Not sure on it's tone though. Seems to veer wildly between something dark and family friendly adventure. The ending is also a bit weird and unsatisfying, but when are they not.
██████
██████
██████