News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on September 06, 2024, 01:21:41 PM
Quote from: Syt on September 05, 2024, 12:50:48 AMYeah, this is clearly "for the kids."

Thinking of "for the kids", I've been teasing my cousin a lot about that new Transformers movie.  His kid is about the age we were when the original series aired on tv, but the tone is... a little different:

The other geek uncle has been designated volunteer to bring his nephew to the theater when the time comes. :P

It is very Marvel-esque in its tone. I am going to see it with my son.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

HVC

Quote from: Valmy on September 07, 2024, 04:05:06 PMIt is very Marvel-esque in its tone. I am going to see it with my son.

Yeah, makes me think Transformers of the Galaxy.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Josquius

I finally saw rebel moon.
The first one.
It's... Yeah. Amazing this was made. It's like a 15 year old kid was given a mega budget.
Curious to see obvious 40k references in Sci fi. That's new.

Lots of it is very predictable. The shifty smuggler who decides to help them for seemingly no reason? Better believe there's gonna be a betrayal.
The only surprise I suppose is they seemed to be setting up for everyone returning to the village and getting ready for a big battle - maybe a small skirmish to end this one with the biggy definitely coming in the sequel. Instead they sorted things in what would usually be an intermediate problem.
██████
██████
██████

celedhring

Quote from: Josquius on September 07, 2024, 04:30:48 PMI finally saw rebel moon.
The first one.
It's... Yeah. Amazing this was made. It's like a 15 year old kid was given a mega budget.
Curious to see obvious 40k references in Sci fi. That's new.

Lots of it is very predictable. The shifty smuggler who decides to help them for seemingly no reason? Better believe there's gonna be a betrayal.
The only surprise I suppose is they seemed to be setting up for everyone returning to the village and getting ready for a big battle - maybe a small skirmish to end this one with the biggy definitely coming in the sequel. Instead they sorted things in what would usually be an intermediate problem.

The second movie is the battle at the village. The battle at the end of the first one ends up being a cheap copout.

crazy canuck

It suffers a lot from the Star Wars problem.  For some reason, this one planet is really important and so to secure this one whole planet the bad guys need to take out one insignificant village.

The Brain

I was surprised by the Boer War references.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josephus

I saw the Costner thing...Horizon Chapter One.

I didn't mind it. I mean, I didn't fall asleep, which, these days, is not unusual when watching telly.

It has lots of unconnected stories and tells a bigger tale, as all epics do. So if you know that going in, it shouldn't be an issue.

Did it leave me wanting for Chapter Two? No, but still enjoyed the watch. Three Western Wagons out of Five.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Jacob

Watched Dune 1 and 2 on the airplane.

They were pretty good, definitely got me in the mood for some old school Rogue Trader sci fi. I was never a Dune fundamentalist (unlike LotR), so I don't mind whatever liberties they took with the original material (and I probably don't remember enough details). But the mood, characters, visuals, and plot were all excellent. It's also nice to see visual effects used in service of the movie, rather than having the movie be the vehicle for a visual effects extravaganza.

It was also nice to see how the film strayed from - or at least had different levels of emphasis at key plot moments from - from the usual Hollywood formula(s).

All in all, I thought they were excellent examples of film making

I'm curious to see how any more films in the series will go - how much they stick with the book related plot vs how much they'll chart their own course. It'll be very interesting to see the overall direction of the franchise. But so far it's been a strong start IMO.

Oexmelin

I believe Villeneuve has indicated he'd be interested in filming just the one more that had been confirmed. I also think it's - more or less - the extent to which the written story remains somewhat accessible before devolving into all sorts of weirdness.   

Que le grand cric me croque !

celedhring

Messiah also closes Paul's story very well, imho.

Of course, Warner has already signalled they will milk this down until we're completely jaded with it, as exemplified with the upcoming TV show.

Josquius

It'll be interesting to see what they do with it considering the different direction of the ending.
██████
██████
██████

Jacob

Yeah, I'd expect this to become "an extended cinematic universe", unless something gets in the way.

Admiral Yi

The boys down at the Space Guild break room toss back some brewskis and trade one liners.

FunkMonk

Personally wouldn't mind them turning Dune into an "extended universe" product as long as the product was good.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Jacob on September 09, 2024, 01:34:54 PMYeah, I'd expect this to become "an extended cinematic universe", unless something gets in the way.

I am entirely ok with that  :)