News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darth Wagtaros

Well Herbert's son vomited out plenty of canonical novels to base it on.
PDH!

Maladict

Quote from: Josquius on September 09, 2024, 01:31:59 PMIt'll be interesting to see what they do with it considering the different direction of the ending.

Yeah. The second book is very different from the first, not anywhere near as epic in scope. So I wouldn't mind him continuing in a different direction.

Valmy

Quote from: celedhring on September 09, 2024, 01:26:06 PMMessiah also closes Paul's story very well, imho.

After that it gets weird, but not weird enough to not make some good films about until the death of the God Emperor. After that it is too weird. At least IMO.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

I didn't know Denis Villeneuve was a Quebeconite.

Sheilbh

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 09, 2024, 06:13:26 PM
Quote from: Jacob on September 09, 2024, 01:34:54 PMYeah, I'd expect this to become "an extended cinematic universe", unless something gets in the way.

I am entirely ok with that  :)
I'm kind of not :lol: :ph34r:

I love the Dune movies. I think their vibe is special. I'm not sure you can extend that into other areas without it just becoming very one note. Alternately I'm not sure you can do entirely different things with it without in some way undermining that and making it all less than the sum of its parts.
Let's bomb Russia!

Jacob

They won't extend it and make it one-note, preserving Villeneuve and Frank Herbert's vision by entombing it in unchanging crystal. They'll make it generic Hollywood heroes journey with intermixed quips and high action and romance schlock; it'll turn into somewhere between Star Wars and a Super Hero movie with a dash of Game of Thrones (cruelty! betrayal!), only with a lot of duduk in the soundtrack.

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 10, 2024, 05:22:44 PMI didn't know Denis Villeneuve was a Quebeconite.

Oh yeah. I enjoy it when he and Timothée Chalamet go on their press tours in France.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gn_rHritEk

It is cool for me because I can really hear the difference between Denis' Quebec accent and the French accent.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

viper37

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 10, 2024, 05:22:44 PMI didn't know Denis Villeneuve was a Quebeconite.
The name didn't ring a bell? :P

[spoiler for Dune]

In the 2nd movie, there's a scene where the Fremen and Paul come out of Sandstorm.  That's a scene I've seen plenty of times in my youth, albeit out of snow.  Only a Québécois could have shot that :sleep:

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 10, 2024, 05:47:44 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on September 09, 2024, 06:13:26 PM
Quote from: Jacob on September 09, 2024, 01:34:54 PMYeah, I'd expect this to become "an extended cinematic universe", unless something gets in the way.

I am entirely ok with that  :)
I'm kind of not :lol: :ph34r:

I love the Dune movies. I think their vibe is special. I'm not sure you can extend that into other areas without it just becoming very one note. Alternately I'm not sure you can do entirely different things with it without in some way undermining that and making it all less than the sum of its parts.

The story changes through the series, as do the main players, so I am not sure what you mean by one note.

Josquius

Quote from: Valmy on September 10, 2024, 07:18:26 PM

Oh yeah. I enjoy it when he and Timothée Chalamet go on their press tours in France.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gn_rHritEk

It is cool for me because I can really hear the difference between Denis' Quebec accent and the French accent.

Is villeneuve toning it down for the audience at all here?
As though... Gruff. He still sounds pretty "standard". Though from what I've heard most euro Francophones say about Quebecois is that if British English is French French then Quebecois is more comparable to Appalachian than standard American?
██████
██████
██████

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Valmy on September 10, 2024, 10:01:02 AM
Quote from: celedhring on September 09, 2024, 01:26:06 PMMessiah also closes Paul's story very well, imho.

After that it gets weird, but not weird enough to not make some good films about until the death of the God Emperor. After that it is too weird. At least IMO.

You could probably make a few good movies of some type out of the last two books, but what would be the point since we don't have the Frank Herbert ending... plus indeed things being weird

Sheilbh

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 10, 2024, 10:47:35 PMThe story changes through the series, as do the main players, so I am not sure what you mean by one note.
I'm not sure story is even in the top 10 of why I enjoyed the Dune films :lol:

I get the story changes but I mean vibe - the aesthetic, the style, the mood and tone, the world it's built in.

I feel like it's easier to go from Star Wars (mass market adventure film for all the family) to then explore maybe the darker sides of that universe and it still works on a vibe level (Rogue One and, I've heard, Andor). I think it's more difficult to go from the Dune story to an extended universe - either the vibe stays which would become one note or it's really really jarringly different (a wisecracking Spice smuggler, say).
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 11, 2024, 07:53:08 AMWhy do people think things get weird?

Things like all the all-female military organizations. Especially the one with the sex assassins. Herbert had some weird gender stuff going on.