News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Celery might like this.  Jurassic Park in Super Panavision.

viper37

Quote from: Syt on September 05, 2024, 12:50:48 AMYeah, this is clearly "for the kids."

Thinking of "for the kids", I've been teasing my cousin a lot about that new Transformers movie.  His kid is about the age we were when the original series aired on tv, but the tone is... a little different:

The other geek uncle has been designated volunteer to bring his nephew to the theater when the time comes. :P
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Savonarola

The Story of O (1975)

An feel good story in which a young lady works hard against many obstacles in order to achieve her life-long dream of being the sex-slave of an older man and parading around nude in an owl mask in front of other men.  It's just like a Disney movie, just believe in yourself and you can do anything!   :)

;)

Yes, it's a Euro-trashy exploitation movie with an owl mask and plenty of whippings.  It's even more incompetently done than 50 Shades of Grey as it requires extensive narration to explain what's going on and the characters' motivations.  Still it does have Corinne Cléry, who was a Bond girl (Moonraker) and starred in classics like Yor, The Hunter from the Future.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

grumbler

The Story of O is the Euro-trashy exploitation movie.  Often copied but never equaled simply because the imitators failed to comprehend that Story of O was deliberately absurd and not serious (though I believe that the book was serious).
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Josquius

Can't say I've seen it but the name definitely rings some bells for me. Did it have influence in Japan or took influence from something in Japan or... That's where my brain goes anyway.

Lady Macbeth - nothing to do with Shakespeare. A locally set film which has an amble shout out and a few ok accents but no locals to be seen.
Woman gets married to a shitty family. Kills them. But because he gets in the way of her shagging the apparently hawt worker she then kills a nice kid thus proving she is the devil.
I guess the atmosphere and landscapes are nice? Kind of obvious what will happen after the first death.
Not getting the servants deal.
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

It's based/inspired by Lady Macbeth of the Mtsensk District. I really liked it but I'll enjoy anything with Florence Pugh.
Let's bomb Russia!

HVC

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 07, 2024, 05:14:11 AMIt's based/inspired by Lady Macbeth of the Mtsensk District. I really liked it but I'll enjoy anything with Florence Pugh.

Her face always has the same expression. Which, while I'm no expert, seems like a bad quality for a actor :D
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Jacob

Quote from: HVC on September 07, 2024, 09:11:19 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on September 07, 2024, 05:14:11 AMIt's based/inspired by Lady Macbeth of the Mtsensk District. I really liked it but I'll enjoy anything with Florence Pugh.

Her face always has the same expression. Which, while I'm no expert, seems like a bad quality for a actor :D

I don't really follow acting or films, so I looked up Florence Pugh. A google image search shows her with several different face expressions, so on the face of it (ahem) you are completely wrong.

HVC

Are those images from when she's acting in films? :lol: She's just not a very emotive actress. Or at least it seems like to me.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

Josquius

Somebody who liked Hawkeye :o
██████
██████
██████

viper37

Quote from: Josquius on September 07, 2024, 09:56:28 AM

Somebody who liked Hawkeye :o
I did like it too.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: HVC on September 07, 2024, 09:53:54 AMAre those images from when she's acting in films? :lol: She's just not a very emotive actress. Or at least it seems like to me.
She was good in that John Le Carré thing.
Hawkeye and Black Widow, she wasn't supposed to be expressive.

viper37

The Winter King has been cancelled.

This isn't a big surprised.  This was nothing like the Last Kingdom.  I don't mind that it deviates from the books, but it wasn't really good.  Total lack of focus for the story and they tried to recenter it on Arthur while sticking with the story that was supposed to be centered around the character Derfell.  That always felt weird in the story telling, like they never know on which character they are supposed to focus.  The pacing was often very slow, not much happening. We hear of an Anglo-Saxon invasion, but we almost never see them.   Arthur is supposed to be a wise strategist, but acts like an idiot most of the time.

Darth Wagtaros

Just back from Beetlejuice.  It was surprisingly good. I had low expectations, and this exceeded them.  Really, what more could you hope for?

This has the Wag seal of approval

PDH!

HVC

I realized today that the rings of power season 2 has started.  It's gotten worse.