News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 22, 2024, 12:06:43 PMI saw the trailer, and like you, learned nothing about the movie.  But Cel thinking Sheilbh would like it made me think it must be about why we have ugly architecture  :D

Yeah.  Maybe it's an attempt to answer the age-old question "why do our brains insist on denying what our eyes are telling them?"
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

celedhring

Quote from: grumbler on October 22, 2024, 11:46:01 AM
Quote from: viper37 on October 22, 2024, 11:36:03 AMIt must be about architecture.  The fact that you have no idea what the film is about gave me a clue.  My desire to see the movie is on par with yours. :yucky:

The fact that Cel thought Sheilbh would be interested clued me in about the fact that the title referred to the architectural style (Sheilbh loves ugly architecture). That still tells me nada about the film.

Yeah, It's pretty much an experiential trailer that assumes people already know about the film. It's been making huge waves in film festivals.

This director's previous films are all incredibly niche and this is a 3h30 epic about a fictional Hungarian architect that emigrates to the US, so I guess they are narrowly targeting the film hipster crowd.

Sheilbh

Quote from: celedhring on October 22, 2024, 08:52:56 AMI do hope Sheilbh is as hyped for The Brutalist as I am.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6d7yU379Ur0
:lol: Yes :ph34r: I've been in the group chats getting excited (to general indifference). Very promising reviews too.

Also strongly dispute the slander that I like ugly architecture :o
Let's bomb Russia!

HVC

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 22, 2024, 02:11:37 PM
Quote from: celedhring on October 22, 2024, 08:52:56 AMI do hope Sheilbh is as hyped for The Brutalist as I am.

:lol: Yes :ph34r: I've been in the group chats getting excited (to general indifference). Very promising reviews too.

Truth is the best defence to accusations of slander :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

viper37

Quote from: grumbler on October 22, 2024, 11:46:01 AM
Quote from: viper37 on October 22, 2024, 11:36:03 AMIt must be about architecture.  The fact that you have no idea what the film is about gave me a clue.  My desire to see the movie is on par with yours. :yucky:

The fact that Cel thought Sheilbh would be interested clued me in about the fact that the title referred to the architectural style (Sheilbh loves ugly architecture). That still tells me nada about the film.
I was a bit joking, this is also what clued me, that it was about architecture.  It also does not raise any interest in me.  (sorry Sheilbh! :P ).
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

'John Wick' Directors Fought Financiers Over Keanu Reeves' Beard and 'Caught S—' for Not Shaving It; They Were Told 'He Needs to Be Clean-Shaven for International'

Also, the money people didn't want the dog to be shot.  They wanted an alternate ending where the dog was revealed to be still alive.  Lots of dead people = ok.  But don't touch the dog! :D

garbon

Quote from: HVC on October 22, 2024, 02:21:07 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on October 22, 2024, 02:11:37 PM

Truth is the best defence to accusations of slander :P

I wonder if the castle he grew up in was the Barbican Estate. :o
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

HVC

Looked that up. It's like a weird mixture of utilitarian ugliness mixed with wasted space.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Gups

Quote from: HVC on October 22, 2024, 02:59:37 PMLooked that up. It's like a weird mixture of utilitarian ugliness mixed with wasted space.

I don't like it but it is immensely popular and used to be (and may still be) the highest earners in the UK which is impressive as it was originally built as council housing. One of my partners lives there and I have to say the views are spectacular. The Barbican centre (theatre, cinema, concert venue etc) is very good as well.

Josquius

It's funny, as to look at photos of it there's huge vibes of "oh shit you don't want to be walking around there after dark" since it's one of the few examples of the type that actually went according to plan.
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Yeah - I think there's a couple of others. But it's a big example and the arts centre is very good - the public realm more generally is exceptional v the normal open grass with a threatening playground approach.

But I think that specifically gets to an issue I think Brutalism has. The good Brutalist buildings are often the ones that for one reason or another have been looked after - and I think people blame/associate a style with neglect, lack of care and upkeep which seems unfair.

Like every style there are good and bad examples. There's not really any type of building I always dislike.
Let's bomb Russia!

Savonarola

Godzilla vs. Megalon (1973)

Three Million years ago an advanced civilization inhabited the continent of Lemuria.  Lemuria sank into the seas, but the people survived creating Seatopia!  But man, in his arrogance, unleashed atomic tests, opening fissures in the earth angering the people of Seatopia.  They summon Megalon to conquer the service with the help of a stolen robot JET JAGUAR!  Alas JET JAGUAR's creator regain control, and he is able to summon Godzilla as Megalon is ravaging a vacant field in Japan.  Fortunately the leader of Seatopia and the aliens of Space Hunter Nebula M are bros and they send Gigan to assist.  Jet Jaguar returns and wills himself to become a giant robot, but his adversaries prove too strong for him.  Just in the nick of time Godzilla arrives and an epic tag team begins.

Even by the standards of a Godzilla movie, this one is noticeably  low budget.  Megalon doesn't even destroy a city, they just slug it out in an open field.  The final battle does resemble a WWE bout and, at 30 minutes, takes far too long.

The films English dub became fodder for an episode for MST3K.  It is definitely one of the worst Godzilla movies that I've seen.

Edit:  Here is one of the finest scenes from the movie, defying all known laws of physics Godzilla delivers a flying kick:

In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Darth Wagtaros

Nothing can top Gozilla vs Destroyah.
PDH!