News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Kind of recently there was those two different terrorists attack the white house films which really confused me.
██████
██████
██████

Barrister

Quote from: Tonitrus on October 17, 2024, 08:10:34 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on October 17, 2024, 08:02:08 PM
Quote from: Tonitrus on October 17, 2024, 07:54:52 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 17, 2024, 04:51:32 PMThen there were the underwater movies of 89.  The Abyss is the one I saw.

And I also recall a synchronized spurt of Christopher Columbus biopic films in the early 90s.

Yeah, I was trying to remember the names of the two movies - did they both start with 1492:

1492: Conquest of Paradise
Christopher Columbus: The Discovery

Both in '92.

That at least makes sense - 500th anniversary and all.  You can see how different studios would think to want to capitalize on that without realizing the other is out there.

Two animated movies about the lives of bugs comin gout in the same year though?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Josephus

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on October 17, 2024, 06:34:23 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 17, 2024, 04:51:32 PMThen there were the underwater movies of 89.  The Abyss is the one I saw.
Deep Star Six and Leviathan.  The Abyss was a bit more high concept than the other two.

I actually get those 3 movies mixed up
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Josephus on October 18, 2024, 05:42:02 PM
Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on October 17, 2024, 06:34:23 PM
Deep Star Six and Leviathan.  The Abyss was a bit more high concept than the other two.

I actually get those 3 movies mixed up
I kind of think there was at least one more. Theatrical release I mean, not a direct to video copycat.
PDH!

Admiral Yi

Google says six underwater movies came out in 1989.  Lords of the Deep, The Evil Below, and Life Underwater, in addition to the ones already mentioned.

The Brain

How many Vietnam movies in 1987? Or from December 1986 to December 1987?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Savonarola

Torso (Original: I corpi presentano tracce di violenza carnale) (1973)

The town of Perugia is filled to the brim with horny, nubile coeds who spend most of their time naked.  Unfortunately there's a homicidal maniac running about who, wouldn't you know it, targets horny nubile coeds who spend most of their time naked as well as their boyfriends.  Four of the nubile coeds go to one of their uncle's villa where they can continue to be nude in peace; but what if the serial killer follows them there?

For a giallo the serial killer doesn't show very much imagination; mostly just stabbing or strangling his victims and then dismembering them with a hacksaw. He really needed to get a dental drill or paper shredder or something.  The final thirty minutes of the film is a taught cat-and-mouse thriller and is quite a bit better than the rest of the movie.  Wikipedia says that this is considered a "Proto-Slasher" film on the strength of those scenes.  It is (as you might have guessed) a favorite of Quentin Tarantino and he had it shown at some film fest.  While Quentin has a broad taste in movies; this one is much more "Switchblade Sisters" than it is "Chungking Express"

Oh, and if you know any young men contemplating college, you may wish to suggest The International University of Perugia.  If this film is anything to go by, it looks like it's well worth the risk of a serial killer.   ;)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Savonarola

Petrified Forest (1973)

Not related to the 1936 Bette Davis-Leslie Howard movie; this one deals with a medical resident who has a strained relationship with his mother.  He meets up with a girl from his hometown and things seem to be going well, but she owes a lot of money to her employer who abuses her.  The medical resident has access to a brand new and very deadly poison; and both of them realize that there is only one person who stands in the way of their happiness; but what if after they kill him things don't work out as they had planned?

This one is definitely a Japanese take on a familiar theme; not a taught thriller, but instead a meditative look at life, death and relationships. 
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on October 17, 2024, 10:39:11 AMActually, as I was trying to think of more examples, I whole Wiki topic came up for me, listing way, way more examples than I would have realized.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twin_films

I like how many of them not only have the same plot or are based on the same source material but also have the same name. That's not confusing for movie goers at all.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

celedhring

I do hope Sheilbh is as hyped for The Brutalist as I am.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6d7yU379Ur0

grumbler

Quote from: celedhring on October 22, 2024, 08:52:56 AMI do hope Sheilbh is as hyped for The Brutalist as I am.

Possibly the least effective trailer for a movie I have ever seen.  After watching it, I have no idea what the film is about and hence no desire to see it.  It's just a word and image salad that communicates nothing.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

viper37

Quote from: grumbler on October 22, 2024, 11:26:28 AM
Quote from: celedhring on October 22, 2024, 08:52:56 AMI do hope Sheilbh is as hyped for The Brutalist as I am.

Possibly the least effective trailer for a movie I have ever seen.  After watching it, I have no idea what the film is about and hence no desire to see it.  It's just a word and image salad that communicates nothing.
It must be about architecture.  The fact that you have no idea what the film is about gave me a clue.  My desire to see the movie is on par with yours. :yucky:
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Rewatched Dune 1 & 2 at home last week-end and this week-end.

I greatly enjoyed these movies in theater and even appreciated them more on a second viewing.

Of note:
- I am still not a fan of Zendaya's acting skills.  She seems to have the same facial expression in Spiderman than in Dune.
- Javier Bardem should get an Oscar for best supporting actor
- Timothy Chalamet, while a great actor looks... a bit deceiving in the role of a warrior-Messiah.  Tough to find someone with both the acting skills and the physical appearance or someone who trains for war, however.
- Rebbecca Ferguson is great.
- The 2nd movie is way too compressed. It required 20 minutes more to expand on Paul's Journey and the final fight with the Harkonnen and the Sardaukar.
- I can't wait Dune: Messiah.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

grumbler

Quote from: viper37 on October 22, 2024, 11:36:03 AMIt must be about architecture.  The fact that you have no idea what the film is about gave me a clue.  My desire to see the movie is on par with yours. :yucky:

The fact that Cel thought Sheilbh would be interested clued me in about the fact that the title referred to the architectural style (Sheilbh loves ugly architecture). That still tells me nada about the film.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

crazy canuck

Quote from: grumbler on October 22, 2024, 11:46:01 AM
Quote from: viper37 on October 22, 2024, 11:36:03 AMIt must be about architecture.  The fact that you have no idea what the film is about gave me a clue.  My desire to see the movie is on par with yours. :yucky:

The fact that Cel thought Sheilbh would be interested clued me in about the fact that the title referred to the architectural style (Sheilbh loves ugly architecture). That still tells me nada about the film.

I saw the trailer, and like you, learned nothing about the movie.  But Cel thinking Sheilbh would like it made me think it must be about why we have ugly architecture  :D