News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Israel-Hamas War 2023

Started by Zanza, October 07, 2023, 04:56:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Legbiter

Quote from: Barrister on September 17, 2024, 11:30:00 AMhttps://www.reuters.com/world/middle-east/dozens-hezbollah-members-wounded-lebanon-when-pagers-exploded-sources-witnesses-2024-09-17/

OK not going to lie - this is kind of awesome.  Israel manages to get Hezbollah's pagers to all simultaneously explode in Lebanon.

Hezbollah claims 3 dead, including a little girl.  Iran's ambassador to Lebanon also injured.  No doubt the "anti-zionist" crowd will point to the little girl as a war crime.

Like out of Bond movie really. Ingenious.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Syt

Quote from: Tonitrus on September 17, 2024, 03:30:21 PMAnd here I thought that pagers were made mostly obsolete with the advent of the mobile phone.

Apparently they switched from phones to pagers because they thought cell phones are too easy to locate and use to target strikes.

Just sucks for any bystanders who happened to be near those things when they blew up.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas

Quote from: Josquius on September 17, 2024, 02:53:21 PMIt's amazing something like this is possible.
Should really add to the paranoia about chinese phones....

But yes. It does sound quite indiscriminate. Knowing Israel I expect they weren't too careful about who was on the list.

How much more precise are they supposed to get in their strikes to get your approval? Have a camera pointed at each of the hundreds of individual enemies and only activate it when wax and every one of them is well away from any other humans (oraube even animals) at the same time?

They were literally limiting their strikes to the pockets of people.

Tamas

But I AM a little more paranoid about my Chinese phone now.  :ph34r:

I have assumed I am sharing everything with their clandestine services but I don't want to be part of some collateral punishment.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on September 17, 2024, 10:48:59 PMHow does a pager explode?

Yeah I was not aware pagers were so combustible. Fortunately nobody I know has used a pager in decades.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

Maybe they did it like Oceans 19 where they gifted booby trapped pagers to unsuspecting Hamas dudes.

Tamas

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 17, 2024, 11:34:50 PMMaybe they did it like Oceans 19 where they gifted booby trapped pagers to unsuspecting Hamas dudes.

Probably they supplied the pagers to Hezbollah.

Syt

From what I've seen it's a supply chain attack, i.e. somewhere along the supply line the pagers were prepped to explode and/or had explosives added on their way to the Hezbollah. Either a middleman on the way, or a shipment intercepted and tampered with before sending it on its way again.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Josquius

Quote from: Tamas on September 17, 2024, 10:44:14 PM
Quote from: Josquius on September 17, 2024, 02:53:21 PMIt's amazing something like this is possible.

But yes. It does sound quite indiscriminate. Knowing Israel I expect they weren't too careful about who was on the list.

How much more precise are they supposed to get in their strikes to get your approval? Have a camera pointed at each of the hundreds of individual enemies and only activate it when wax and every one of them is well away from any other humans (oraube even animals) at the same time?

The pockets only of terrorists or of everyone who happened to have a pager from this same batch?
██████
██████
██████

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Tamas

Quote from: Josquius on September 18, 2024, 12:47:47 AM
Quote from: Tamas on September 17, 2024, 10:44:14 PM

The pockets only of terrorists or of everyone who happened to have a pager from this same batch?

So if they can ensure that none of the hundreds of pagers are in pockets of non-Hezbollah at the time of explosion, are you ok with this action?

Syt

The Taiwanese pager company shifts blame to Hungary:

https://apnews.com/article/lebanon-israel-exploding-pagers-hezbollah-syria-ce6af3c2e6de0a0dddfae48634278288

QuoteGold Apollo says the pagers that exploded in Lebanon and Syria were made by a company in Budapest

TAIPEI, Taiwan (AP) — The pagers involved in deadly explosions in Lebanon and Syria were manufactured by a company based in Budapest, Taiwanese company Gold Apollo, whose branding appeared on the beepers, said Wednesday.

The pagers were manufactured by BAC Consulting KFT, based in Hungary's capital, according to a statement released Wednesday by Gold Apollo.

Glad to see Orban's regime keeping Hungary at the forefront of digital technology and innovation, like making pagers. :P (Though that company's webpage is as generic a consulting website as you can get, I guess:  https://www.bacconsulting.org/ )

EDIT: I guess this would cover the field? https://bacconsulting.org/our-projects/119-bridging-technology-and-innovation-from-asia

QuoteVision
We develop international technology cooperation among countries for the sale of telecommunication products. This cooperation entails scaling up a business from Asia to new markets e.g. developing countries

Client
International Partnership

Our Work
We are currently further developing innovative telecommunication instruments. This development entails

Integrating the best past technological lessons and practices from different geographical areas
Strategizing the business Scaling up
Carrying out Negotiation and Sales

Expertise
Telecommunication, Innovation, Partnership Building, and Coordination

Current Results
Coordinated Research & Development for Instrument innovation
Developed an International Partnership via meetings
Carried out Sales
—Stephen Jay Gould

Josquius

Quote from: Syt on September 18, 2024, 12:39:00 AMFrom what I've seen it's a supply chain attack, i.e. somewhere along the supply line the pagers were prepped to explode and/or had explosives added on their way to the Hezbollah. Either a middleman on the way, or a shipment intercepted and tampered with before sending it on its way again.

Yeah, that's what they said on the BBC, makes sense- the idea pagers could grow so dangerously hot as to explode....Even with smartphones I don't think you'd be talking that level of danger. Somewhere along the line a small amount of explosives was planted in them.

Quote from: Tamas on September 18, 2024, 12:51:32 AMSo if they can ensure that none of the hundreds of pagers are in pockets of non-Hezbollah at the time of explosion, are you ok with this action?

I'm not sure why you're asking this.
If you could ensure an attack was targeted thus that only people who are part of an active militant group launching attacks on civilian areas are killed then that's the perfect situation. Absolute dream.
██████
██████
██████

The Brain

Purchasing is extremely important in most organizations, even if not all of them realize it. You want top people there. Maybe Hezbollah will tighten its process, but I don't know what their quality culture is like.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.