News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Israel-Hamas War 2023

Started by Zanza, October 07, 2023, 04:56:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Quote from: Josquius on September 18, 2024, 02:43:08 AM
Quote from: Syt on September 18, 2024, 12:39:00 AMFrom what I've seen it's a supply chain attack, i.e. somewhere along the supply line the pagers were prepped to explode and/or had explosives added on their way to the Hezbollah. Either a middleman on the way, or a shipment intercepted and tampered with before sending it on its way again.

Yeah, that's what they said on the BBC, makes sense- the idea pagers could grow so dangerously hot as to explode....Even with smartphones I don't think you'd be talking that level of danger. Somewhere along the line a small amount of explosives was planted in them.

Quote from: Tamas on September 18, 2024, 12:51:32 AMSo if they can ensure that none of the hundreds of pagers are in pockets of non-Hezbollah at the time of explosion, are you ok with this action?

I'm not sure why you're asking this.
If you could ensure an attack was targeted thus that only people who are part of an active militant group launching attacks on civilian areas are killed then that's the perfect situation. Absolute dream.

I was asking because you wrote "But yes. It does sound quite indiscriminate. Knowing Israel I expect they weren't too careful about who was on the list."

And I was flabbergasted of how much further you could get from "indiscriminate" than targeting pagers used by the enemy organisation. Not even Hezbollah or Lebanon claimed that pagers in general were exploded across the country.

The Minsky Moment

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Legbiter

So today it's been walkie-talkies and different pagers blowing up. Hezbollah supply chain seems totally compromised.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Valmy

How is this still happening? Is Hezbollah still using these things?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Valmy on September 18, 2024, 08:52:52 PMHow is this still happening? Is Hezbollah still using these things?

They didn't get the page to stop.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson