News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Israel-Hamas War 2023

Started by Zanza, October 07, 2023, 04:56:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on September 09, 2024, 09:47:45 AMI guess my issue with calling Israel a Settler-Colonialist state that is out to exterminate indigenous people is the absurdity of insisting Jews are not indigenous to Palestine and the fact that a huge proportion of the population come from Iraq, Iran, Yemen, Egypt, and North Africa etc. and the extensive similarities between Israeli and Arab culture.

That is just radically different than something like United State or Australia.

Hence why I tend to view it as an old world ethnic conflict. Sure you do have large numbers of Jews from Europe moving into a non-European area so it has that in common, but that ignores so many other issues. And Israel seem pretty integrated into the area with their corrupt politicians, religious fanaticism, and cynicism.

Yeah, I think it would be a more useful to analyze what is happening in Israel from the perspective of Netanyahu holding on to power.

Razgovory

The article in the Atlantic is on par with normal articles in the Atlantic.  The quote you suggest was made up was in fact real and I found the source.  While he isn't a doctor of cultural studies like Olympic superstar Raygun, I think he's up to the task of writing a book on this topic.  It isn't particle physics.  And he has written a biography of Disraeli
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Razgovory on September 09, 2024, 09:09:48 AM[The quote is from an academic paper https://eprints.lancs.ac.uk/id/eprint/160342/ 

That journal has an impact factor of 0.956, i.e. the average article is cited less than one time in the following two years.  To give a sense how low that is, a journal with a similar IF is the Review of Agricultural and Applied Economics of the Faculty of Economics and Management, Slovak Agricultural University in Nitra.  No offense to the agricultural economists of Slovakia, but I think we can assume their work isn't making massive ripples across the academic world.

Playing the game of find the wacky academic research paper is shooting fish in a barrel.  At least Alan Sokol did it with more panache and fun.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on September 09, 2024, 09:47:45 AMguess my issue with calling Israel a Settler-Colonialist state that is out to exterminate indigenous people is the absurdity of insisting Jews are not indigenous to Palestine and the fact that a huge proportion of the population come from Iraq, Iran, Yemen, Egypt, and North Africa etc. and the extensive similarities between Israeli and Arab culture.
The main problem is that you have people like Raz and OvB insisting Palestinians have no grounds to claim the lands they live on as their own.

But at the same time, they claim an ancestral tie to the land to all of the Jewish populations, no matter where they came from.

There is this absurdity here.

But we're always rehashing the same points.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.