News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Israel-Hamas War 2023

Started by Zanza, October 07, 2023, 04:56:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on September 09, 2024, 09:47:45 AMI guess my issue with calling Israel a Settler-Colonialist state that is out to exterminate indigenous people is the absurdity of insisting Jews are not indigenous to Palestine and the fact that a huge proportion of the population come from Iraq, Iran, Yemen, Egypt, and North Africa etc. and the extensive similarities between Israeli and Arab culture.

That is just radically different than something like United State or Australia.

Hence why I tend to view it as an old world ethnic conflict. Sure you do have large numbers of Jews from Europe moving into a non-European area so it has that in common, but that ignores so many other issues. And Israel seem pretty integrated into the area with their corrupt politicians, religious fanaticism, and cynicism.

Yeah, I think it would be a more useful to analyze what is happening in Israel from the perspective of Netanyahu holding on to power.

Razgovory

The article in the Atlantic is on par with normal articles in the Atlantic.  The quote you suggest was made up was in fact real and I found the source.  While he isn't a doctor of cultural studies like Olympic superstar Raygun, I think he's up to the task of writing a book on this topic.  It isn't particle physics.  And he has written a biography of Disraeli
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Razgovory on September 09, 2024, 09:09:48 AM[The quote is from an academic paper https://eprints.lancs.ac.uk/id/eprint/160342/ 

That journal has an impact factor of 0.956, i.e. the average article is cited less than one time in the following two years.  To give a sense how low that is, a journal with a similar IF is the Review of Agricultural and Applied Economics of the Faculty of Economics and Management, Slovak Agricultural University in Nitra.  No offense to the agricultural economists of Slovakia, but I think we can assume their work isn't making massive ripples across the academic world.

Playing the game of find the wacky academic research paper is shooting fish in a barrel.  At least Alan Sokol did it with more panache and fun.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on September 09, 2024, 09:47:45 AMguess my issue with calling Israel a Settler-Colonialist state that is out to exterminate indigenous people is the absurdity of insisting Jews are not indigenous to Palestine and the fact that a huge proportion of the population come from Iraq, Iran, Yemen, Egypt, and North Africa etc. and the extensive similarities between Israeli and Arab culture.
The main problem is that you have people like Raz and OvB insisting Palestinians have no grounds to claim the lands they live on as their own.

But at the same time, they claim an ancestral tie to the land to all of the Jewish populations, no matter where they came from.

There is this absurdity here.

But we're always rehashing the same points.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Barrister

https://www.reuters.com/world/middle-east/dozens-hezbollah-members-wounded-lebanon-when-pagers-exploded-sources-witnesses-2024-09-17/

OK not going to lie - this is kind of awesome.  Israel manages to get Hezbollah's pagers to all simultaneously explode in Lebanon.

Hezbollah claims 3 dead, including a little girl.  Iran's ambassador to Lebanon also injured.  No doubt the "anti-zionist" crowd will point to the little girl as a war crime.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: viper37 on September 09, 2024, 01:30:06 PMThe main problem is that you have people like Raz and OvB insisting Palestinians have no grounds to claim the lands they live on as their own.

But at the same time, they claim an ancestral tie to the land to all of the Jewish populations, no matter where they came from.

Otto has said some dubious stuff here but not that.  IIRC he rejected that claim but said the Jews bought land fair and square from the Ottomans
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Threviel

Quote from: Barrister on September 17, 2024, 11:30:00 AMhttps://www.reuters.com/world/middle-east/dozens-hezbollah-members-wounded-lebanon-when-pagers-exploded-sources-witnesses-2024-09-17/

OK not going to lie - this is kind of awesome.  Israel manages to get Hezbollah's pagers to all simultaneously explode in Lebanon.

Hezbollah claims 3 dead, including a little girl.  Iran's ambassador to Lebanon also injured.  No doubt the "anti-zionist" crowd will point to the little girl as a war crime.

It's so beautiful.

Josquius

It's amazing something like this is possible.
Should really add to the paranoia about chinese phones....

But yes. It does sound quite indiscriminate. Knowing Israel I expect they weren't too careful about who was on the list.
██████
██████
██████

The Minsky Moment

Seriously guys don't be so naive.  It's not possible to blow up pagers remotely like this.  That's just a cover story to conceal deployment of the Space Lasers.
--Joan Robinson

viper37

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 17, 2024, 11:43:17 AM
Quote from: viper37 on September 09, 2024, 01:30:06 PMThe main problem is that you have people like Raz and OvB insisting Palestinians have no grounds to claim the lands they live on as their own.

Otto has said some dubious stuff here but not that.  IIRC he rejected that claim but said the Jews bought land fair and square from the Ottomans

He claims the land grab in the West Bank is justified and claim the Israelis are justified in their actions by a right of conquest.  Might makes right.  Points 8-12, pager 323.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

The Brain

Quote from: Barrister on September 17, 2024, 11:30:00 AMhttps://www.reuters.com/world/middle-east/dozens-hezbollah-members-wounded-lebanon-when-pagers-exploded-sources-witnesses-2024-09-17/

Has Israel claimed responsibilty?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Tonitrus

And here I thought that pagers were made mostly obsolete with the advent of the mobile phone.

Barrister

Quote from: The Brain on September 17, 2024, 03:22:40 PM

Has Israel claimed responsibilty?

QuoteThe Israeli military, which has been engaged in cross-border fighting with Iran-backed Hezbollah since the start of the Gaza war in October, declined to respond to questions about the detonations.

Tonitrus

Methinks the military is the wrong organization to be asking for a case like this.

Barrister

Quote from: Tonitrus on September 17, 2024, 03:37:27 PMMethinks the military is the wrong organization to be asking for a case like this.

I don't think Mossad is any more likely to give an answer.

My point was simply that no, Israel has not claimed responsibility.  But it seems pretty clear.  And like I said - pretty cool.  It reminds me of when the US launched a virus that sped up Iranian centrifuges which wrecked their nuclear program for a period of time.