News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Star Wars Megathread

Started by Barrister, November 13, 2019, 12:54:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oexmelin

I am sure there might be an analog  about the arrogance of self-satisfied elites who are blind to the rise of fascism but for the life of me, I can't find it.
Que le grand cric me croque !

crazy canuck

Quote from: Oexmelin on July 17, 2024, 01:27:17 PMI am sure there might be an analog  about the arrogance of self-satisfied elites who are blind to the rise of fascism but for the life of me, I can't find it.

Niether did the Acolyte series.  I think Syt was correct in his summary that the show tried its best to portray it as just normal folks trying to do their best in difficult circumstances. 

garbon

I finished watching The Acolyte. I'd say it was a pleasant enough diversion though I think it suffered greatly from being a show that acted like it was deep but there was actually very little depth.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: garbon on July 18, 2024, 11:38:25 AMI finished watching The Acolyte. I'd say it was a pleasant enough diversion though I think it suffered greatly from being a show that acted like it was deep but there was actually very little depth.

Just finished it myself, and this is spot on. Like I told my wife, this 8-hour series was 2 hours of meat with 6 hours of useless fat.

I wanted to like it so bad, but it just never got any traction. And just like Ahsoka, they didn't resolve any of the plot threads and left all of them cliffhangers. Like, c'mon guys, that's no way to run a show when Bob Iger's publicly giving "too much streaming" serious side-eye. Don't just give them the excuses to cancel the shows...
Experience bij!

Syt

I found some of the callbacks interesting. Star Wars Explained has an "Easter Eggs" video that covers many connections. But it was mentioned Leslye Headland was a fan of e.g. KotOR, and it does shine through in bits. Of course the Revan-style mind wipe. But also the structure of hunting down a group of Jedi who wronged the main character, and the final confrontations in the ruins of the coven reminded me of KotOR2 with the quest for the "hiding" Jedi who (supposedly) severed the Exile's connection to the Force, and the confrontation in the Jedi Enclave ruins on Dantooine. Qimir isn't Kreia, but he's also more than "RAHH EVIL" ... Force Center likened him to a trollish podcaster. "Hey, just asking questions ...!" while pursuing his agenda.

I've seen comments that the comment in Ep. 1 about repairs on ship hulls should only be done by Astromechs was a call back to Phantom Menace, but it reminded me of the tutorial part in KotOR2 where you do such work yourself (which was probably also inspired by Phantom Menace tbh) - maybe I was thinking of it because both "spacewalk" scene happened at the very start of the story.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

Trailer for Skeleton Crew:

Getting vibes of Goonies, Explorers, Flight of the Navigator, etc.

Not sure about the "Star Wars suburbs" shown at the start ... though I guess that ship sailed when we got an American 50s diner in Attack of the Clones. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

celedhring

Star Wars has always cannibalized other stuff so I'm fine with that, but I think it works best when they don't make the source material so obvious.

Syt

It may sound pretentious, but I like when Star Wars makes the mundane fantastical, but even I found planet SoCal 'burbs in this trailer a bit much. :D
—Stephen Jay Gould

Josquius

It is very odd. Like a 80s throwback Goonies /Stranger Things sort of thing... But with star wars.
██████
██████
██████

Sophie Scholl

I'm excited for it! I think it looks really fun and lighthearted.  :)
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Syt

Quote from: Sophie Scholl on August 10, 2024, 05:27:18 AMI'm excited for it! I think it looks really fun and lighthearted.  :)

I hope it is, it would be nice after various more serious stories.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Tamas

I suspect we have reached the stage when somebody proposes a draft of a series at Disney and it goes something like this:

-Well this is kind of bland, plus it's been done before
-What if we do a Star Wars version of it?
-Ah yeah, good idea, approved.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josquius on August 10, 2024, 03:14:08 AMIt is very odd. Like a 80s throwback Goonies /Stranger Things sort of thing... But with star wars.

Star Wars is an 80s throwback. Glad to see it is going back to it's roots.

Syt

Star Wars Explained's trailer breakdown:

—Stephen Jay Gould

Oexmelin

Que le grand cric me croque !