News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Star Wars Megathread

Started by Barrister, November 13, 2019, 12:54:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: celedhring on June 07, 2024, 04:18:47 PMWatched the first two eps. It's decently entertaining, I enjoy the wuxia combat and I'm a sucker for mysteries. The Jedi are a bit dumb (trusting Jacinto's character when he's obviously lying to them) but the plot is at their level (he then surprisingly doesn't betray them)  :P

The I know you are hot on the trail of the wrongdoer but you really need to cut off the chase so we can think about what to do, is right up there with we can't save the mother of the most powerful force user we have ever encountered because we did not come here to set slaves free.

Both are silly excuses for allowing things to get predictably worse.

HVC

Quote from: HVC on June 05, 2024, 07:50:30 AMIt's ugh... not horrible so far. That's something at least.

Ok, it's moved to horrible. The acting is bad (and not just the kids). Script is just cringy. "What did you do?! What did YOU do!?" They also don't seem to know how fire works. Fire in space that can be put out with an extinguisher, and now stone on fire.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Syt

Despite the not great execution, I'm still curious about the story. What's the deal with the Witches? What really happened that night? We've seen one perspective now - I read before that Rashomon was an inspiration for the show, so I assume we will see the events retold through different views to puzzle the truth together. The showrunner is apparently a fan of the old EU and esp. KOTOR2 (which the "find the Jedi who wronged you" seems reminiscent of).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Syt on June 12, 2024, 09:46:03 AMDespite the not great execution, I'm still curious about the story. What's the deal with the Witches? What really happened that night? We've seen one perspective now - I read before that Rashomon was an inspiration for the show, so I assume we will see the events retold through different views to puzzle the truth together. The showrunner is apparently a fan of the old EU and esp. KOTOR2 (which the "find the Jedi who wronged you" seems reminiscent of).

Yeah, there has got to be more, like what killed everyone-it couldn't have been that fire.  And why did that Jedi feel so guilty?

HVC

***Spoilers and theories***

Another (in theory non evil) force group could be interesting. But the knockoff nightsisters didn't work for me.

My going assumption is that, in keeping with the "Jedi's are the actual misguided bad guys" trend, Jedi's went to kidnap the kids, but the witches put up a fight and in the confusion of the fire witches got wiped out. Silent guy offing himself wouldn't make sense if the twin did it. But then again with the writing so far I wouldn't be that surprised. 
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 05, 2024, 02:26:38 PMSyt, are the Jedi simpletons in this time period in the other Star Wars sources or is it just this show?

Always at least in the canon movies.  The whole concept of the prequel trilogy is that the Jedi are completely out of touch and without a clue.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Sophie Scholl

I blame Yoda mostly. He seems to be the longest tenured Master (and Grand Master) and definitely was vital in steering the Jedi into that decline. The road to Hell and all...
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Grey Fox

"The Jedi Order's problem is Yoda. No being can wield that kind of power for centuries without becoming complacent at best or corrupt at worst. He has no idea that it's overtaken him; he no longer sees all the little cumulative evils that the Republic tolerates and fosters, from slavery to endless wars, and he never asks, 'Why are we not acting to stop this?' Live alongside corruption for too long, and you no longer notice the stench."
―Count Dooku in the Star Wars Clone Wars novelization.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Sophie Scholl

They could have made Dooku *such* an amazing and complex character and antagonist. Alas, they ultimately went with the mustache twirling villain angle.  :(
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

HVC

Quote from: Sophie Scholl on June 14, 2024, 02:51:46 PMThey could have made Dooku *such* an amazing and complex character and antagonist. Alas, they ultimately went with the mustache twirling villain angle.  :(

I think it feels that way because lee was such a good actor,  but Lucas never had the writing chops to pull it off.

Barrister

Quote from: Sophie Scholl on June 14, 2024, 02:51:46 PMThey could have made Dooku *such* an amazing and complex character and antagonist. Alas, they ultimately went with the mustache twirling villain angle.  :(

So look I get it - Star Wars' heritage is in the 1930s serials, which was very much all about moustache-twirling villains.  It's also meant for kids, so "complex characters" aren't really what they're going for.

But yes - the prequels sort of set up what might have been an interesting angle about the "separatists", and Count Dooku, as a fallen Jedi, could have had an interesting angle, but they didn't go that route.  In some ways General Grevious was a better villain - he had no particular back story (at least in the movies) but he was a kid-friendly bad-ass who used 4 lightsabers.

Of course thats what made the Clone Wars interesting - they took all these strands from the movies and filled them in
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.