News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Star Wars Megathread

Started by Barrister, November 13, 2019, 12:54:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Not in a huge Star Wars mood at the moment, but will of course watch it. :) Though I'm not very familiar with the High Republic beyond reading the first book and another book about halfway (Into Darkness) and some comics. Not a slight against the High Republic, just me constantly shifting between interests and what I read. :D
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

crazy canuck

Interesting choice to make the Jedi look like bumbling fools.

celedhring

Reviews seem middling, which I guess means it will be at least watchable for a Star Wars fix. Plus the wuxia action seemed fun in the trailers.

Won't probably watch it right now, but down the line for sure.

HVC

It's ugh... not horrible so far. That's something at least.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Tamas

Quote from: Sophie Scholl on June 04, 2024, 09:45:35 PMAnyone else excited for The Acolyte? The first episodes drop tonight. As a huge High Republic fan, I am really looking forward to watching it and keeping an eye out for any easter eggs. Alas, I am currently sick so I'm going to wait till I feel better to watch it.  :(

I spotted the last few seconds of the trailer and I have realised I am just very tired of Jedis. The fact that it's the Old Republic period makes it more stomach-able of course but I'd prefer a lightstaber-less series.

Habbaku

I'm going to wait until they're all available, then binge them at once. I have very low expectations of quality.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Grey Fox

I'll watch the show with my son. He's pretty excited about it.

Concerning Jedi being idiots. That's how I see the High Republic era for modern Star Wars. A deficient Jedi class that is progressively being exploited by a new wave of Sith only to be thwarted by a rising Yoda. (I don't think that's what The Acolyte will be about).
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Syt

Generally liked the first two episodes. I like the characters so far and am curious about the mystery and backstory.

Also: Manny Jacinto. :wub:

And: except Coruscant all new live action planets, I think ... not a hint of Tatooine! :P *knocks on wood*
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

crazy canuck

Syt, are the Jedi simpletons in this time period in the other Star Wars sources or is it just this show?

Syt

Not sure what you mean by simpletons. :unsure:
—Stephen Jay Gould

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: Grey Fox on June 05, 2024, 09:47:23 AMConcerning Jedi being idiots. That's how I see the High Republic era for modern Star Wars. A deficient Jedi class that is progressively being exploited by a new wave of Sith only to be thwarted by a rising Yoda. (I don't think that's what The Acolyte will be about).

Huh? That's... not at all what The High Republic is like? The Sith don't even appear in any of the High Republic material that has been released so far outside of a few mentions to ancient events. The Jedi are far more competent and powerful compared to the film era, too. It is honestly my favorite Star Wars setting.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

crazy canuck

Quote from: Sophie Scholl on June 06, 2024, 09:26:48 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on June 05, 2024, 09:47:23 AMConcerning Jedi being idiots. That's how I see the High Republic era for modern Star Wars. A deficient Jedi class that is progressively being exploited by a new wave of Sith only to be thwarted by a rising Yoda. (I don't think that's what The Acolyte will be about).

Huh? That's... not at all what The High Republic is like? The Sith don't even appear in any of the High Republic material that has been released so far outside of a few mentions to ancient events. The Jedi are far more competent and powerful compared to the film era, too. It is honestly my favorite Star Wars setting.

I think you need to brace yourself for a bit of disappointment with this show then Sophie.  I won't go into specifics because I know you are waiting to see the first two episodes.

But I'd be very interested in your take once you've been able to see it.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Sophie Scholl on June 06, 2024, 09:26:48 AM

By Sith, I mean the Dark side force users.

I haven't read most of the High Republic material and it's possible that the tone got lost in translation but the Jedis has an organization in all of Star Wars properties are never competent.

We know where any SW stories are going.

From 200 BBY or so to 32 BBY, you got Darth Tenebrous, Darth Plagueis and Darth Sidious researching strand casting and manipulation of the midichlorian. With a side of undermining the Republic.

Imo, David Filoni's hands are all over this thing.

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Syt

Quote from: Grey Fox on June 06, 2024, 09:03:20 PMImo, David Filoni's hands are all over this thing.

You misspelled George Lucas. He set the old Jedi order up that way in the prequels. Not up to date on High Republic, but 200 years BBY they're meant to be at their height, but people are starting to challenge them. Acolyte is set at the half-way point between HR and TPM, so them setting being on a downward trend makes sense to me - an increasing sense of hubris among some, especially the younger Jedi *cough*Yord*cough*, if you will.
—Stephen Jay Gould

celedhring

Watched the first two eps. It's decently entertaining, I enjoy the wuxia combat and I'm a sucker for mysteries. The Jedi are a bit dumb (trusting Jacinto's character when he's obviously lying to them) but the plot is at their level (he then surprisingly doesn't betray them)  :P