News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Miscellaneous PC & vidya Games Thread

Started by Syt, June 26, 2012, 12:12:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Quote from: Norgy on July 13, 2024, 01:26:05 AMI just don't have the time and effort to play much, so Elden Ring was one of those games I rage-quit after dieeeeeeiiiing so many times.

I realise I am not in the segment of the market they want to sell to, and I am fine with that. But I wanted an open-world fix, and yet another iteration of Far Cry was not really top of my list.

All this has made me realise how far, and how different, computer games have developed since I joined the Paradox boards in the last century or whatever.
I am awestruck by the sheer size and narrative of games like RDR2. And, yes, I cried when Arthur died.

On a brighter note, I hear a Witcher re-make and a new project for a Witcher 4 is in the making.

Fair points. Not every game is for everyone. :) I'm still not much into shooters or RTS games :D
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Solmyr

I just installed the easy mode mod for Elden Ring and played that way. :P

Oexmelin

Hello Norgy!

I too find the constant death in Souls-like strangely zen. I think it was Syt, way back when, who convinced me it was the right mindset for enjoying those games - and I have enjoyed them quite a bit since then. I haven't tried Elden Ring yet, waiting for a sale. I managed to finish Sekiro this week. Another victory for the 40+ crowd...  :P
Que le grand cric me croque !

FunkMonk

The deaths that piss me off in Elden Ring are when I get stuck on level geometry.  :mad:

Everything else I'm ok with because I know I'm just bad at the game and need to get good.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Syt

Quote from: Oexmelin on July 15, 2024, 06:33:47 AMHello Norgy!

I too find the constant death in Souls-like strangely zen. I think it was Syt, way back when, who convinced me it was the right mindset for enjoying those games - and I have enjoyed them quite a bit since then. I haven't tried Elden Ring yet, waiting for a sale. I managed to finish Sekiro this week. Another victory for the 40+ crowd...  :P

Congrats on beating Sekiro. The only one I really bounced off of. :cheers:

I was installing Elden Ring again ... went to the first tomb ... had forgotten what annoying bastards those little gargoyles could be. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Norgy

Quote from: Oexmelin on July 15, 2024, 06:33:47 AMHello Norgy!

Fair dos, man!
 :hug:

grumbler

I caught mention on MGOBlog of the new NCAA 25 game coming out in less than a week, including their first full-game trailer.

What caught the attention of Michigan fans was that
1. EA decided that The Game was the best attraction for their first full-game trailer;
2. That EA relocated the 2025 version of the game (maybe just for the trailer) to the Big House when in reality it will take place in Columbus, and
3. That it has Michigan winning the game, 20-14, when OSU has just spent $15 million on NIL payments to graduating players to convince them to come back for a final year in an effort to push for a national championship (a strategy Michigan successful employed, though at a tenth the cost, last year).  Most commentators will be very shocked if that actually happens.

I'm not a sports game fan, but I'll admit to being pretty impressed with the graphics in this one.  The "TV commentary" is beyond banal, though.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Jacob

Quote from: grumbler on July 15, 2024, 07:15:24 PM... The "TV commentary" is beyond banal, though.

Isn't that pretty realistic?

Valmy

Quote from: Jacob on July 16, 2024, 10:55:40 AM
Quote from: grumbler on July 15, 2024, 07:15:24 PM... The "TV commentary" is beyond banal, though.

Isn't that pretty realistic?

Yes. I almost always watch football games on mute  :lol:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

So 20 years ago I used to play the hell out of NCAA Football on the Playstation.  Hell, I think I did an AAR here on Languish of playing as the FAU Owls.

The series last edition was in 2014.  There was always a bit of a tension - the game did not ship with players names, but the players in the game were clearly modeled after the actual collegiate players.  Personally I would always just go in and edit the team I was playing to add their real names (bit of a pain using only a controller).  You could also download edits that would update every players names.

NCAA players of course saw precisely zero money for this.  This became an issue, which is why the series ended 10 years ago.

But now with the changes to NCAA players compensation - the game is back, now rebranded as College Football.

On the one hand I really, really want to buy this game.  But on the other hand I just know I don't have anywhere near the time to spend on it and it isn't possibly worth spending (checks) holy crap $90 on it.

Actually nevermind - I it looks like it's only for the PS5, and we only have a PS4 Pro.  So I guess there's that.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

I will say that the fun of playing NCAA back in the 1990s was the weird types of offenses and defenses they ran in college that they never used in the NFL. 8 man fronts. Option offenses. The Wishbone. All that.

These days the NFL and College Football are much more similar, so I am not that excited about it.

Especially as NFL football games have gotten so horrible in recent years. The video games, not the actual games on the field of course.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Grey Fox

BB, it'll be cheaper by US Thanksgiving. I think I might get it then. A physical copy, if only for the collector in me.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Syt

Quote from: Syt on April 18, 2024, 03:17:20 AMScheduled for Q3 release - Dungeons of Hinterberg.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1983260/Dungeons_of_Hinterberg/

QuoteArmed with a sword and a tourist guide, explore the beautiful alpine village of Hinterberg and uncover the magic hidden within its dungeons! Master magic, solve puzzles, slay monsters; all this and more await you in Hinterberg!

Welcome to Hinterberg, a new tourist hotspot in the idyllic Austrian Alps! You play as Luisa, a burnt-out law trainee taking a break from her fast-paced corporate life to conquer the Dungeons of Hinterberg. There are plenty of dungeons to find and adventures to be had in Hinterberg – will Luisa be sent packing on her first day, or remain to become a Master Slayer? Only one way to find out...

Snowboard down a glacier, zipline through the forest, climb a mountain, or have a coffee by the lake... There's no shortage of places to discover while you're out looking for your next dungeon!

Monsters lurk around every corner in Hinterberg, and your sword and magic skills are essential for keeping them at bay. Harness the wind, conjure a snowboard out of thin air, or freeze your enemies in a jelly block!

Braving a dungeon requires more than just cutting-edge sports gear and a good sword arm: Hinterberg's dungeons are full of puzzles that will surprise and challenge

Spend your nights forging friendships with the locals and other adventurers! Some of them will help you get stronger or teach you new tricks, others are just here for excitement and selfies... But good relationships don't just make your stay more memorable - they're the key to becoming a better slayer!

The game is out and reviews positively so far. It seems to be a mix of social game (meeting fellow tourists, planning your day, like Persona or similar) mixed with dungeon delving that includes light puzzling, not too difficult hack & slash combat, or just chilling in nature and practicing self care. Overall it seems a pretty chill and wholesome experience.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/dungeons-of-hinterberg-review
"Dungeons of Hinterberg review: a breezy action RPG that's as pretty as a postcard"
"Cosy fantasy meets monster hack 'n slashing in Dungeons of Hinterberg, an action RPG that will spirit you away to the majestic Austrian alps."

https://www.pcgamer.com/games/rpg/dungeons-of-hinterberg-review/
84%
"Arguably, slaying monsters in the woods is self-care."
"Dungeons of Hinterberg is a beautiful puzzler—and a satisfying riff on the Austrian tourist economy."
—Stephen Jay Gould

Grey Fox

It's a modern take on Euro jank. I did 2 dungeons. They are fairly straightforward.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Tamas

The full-sized version of the Pharaoh Total War game is getting relesed today as a free update to existing owners (like poor old me). Going to take a look at it.