News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Miscellaneous PC & vidya Games Thread

Started by Syt, June 26, 2012, 12:12:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tonitrus

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on July 31, 2024, 07:48:30 AM
Quote from: Syt on July 31, 2024, 01:17:24 AMIf I want to dive into Rimworld: for learning the game, should I disable the DLC for now? Or should I dive into the deep end?

Not looking for tips/tricks or what mods to use (yet), just wanting to do a blind dive. But also not get overwhelmed with all additional stuff from DLCs if it would make it too miserable.

With or without DLC: the swimmingpool is deep. But not using DLC makes it easier as you don't have to take a bunch of new mechanics into account. Try getting a settlement up and running, survive a few years...

Afterwards you can add the other content. All at once or one at a time.
Content wise Biotech has added the most: children, genetics, servitors, hybrids...
Then in decreasing order it's, imho, Ideology and then Royalty.
Anomaly, the most recent dlc, is a weird one and I can't really say much about it except that in one of the recent patches Tynan has made it possible to insert Anomaly events without having to play the 'story' content by disabling the triggers. If they're not disabled and you take the anomaly path then you're committed to that for the playthrough.

And then there's the mods of course...

Agree.  I love/played a ton of Rimworld...never bought any of the DLCs, but only because they didn't add anything that I found compelling (and wasn't overlapped/done better in mods).

Biotech is the only one I've considered adding, and might eventually.

But as implied, it is the mods that are the rabbit hole.  I play with about 300-400+  :blush:  It just has so many little QoL/single-detail/cosmetic varieties. There are some that would require a new game if they majorly change the structure. But all of them can be added over time to suit your tastes.

For mods, might be worth checking out the "Vanilla Expanded" series.  A good toe in the pool, mostly compartmentalized, an can add a lot of basic flavor before you start going into the deep end.

Crazy_Ivan80

Correct on the vanilla expanded set. It's a great way to enhance the experience and has top content.
(Think I've got most of that set in my mod list)

garbon

I've now been doing a crazy melange. My medieval tech colony killed some members of the Federation who were passing through to take their phasers. :blush:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Tonitrus on August 02, 2024, 10:01:37 PM
Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on July 31, 2024, 07:48:30 AM
Quote from: Syt on July 31, 2024, 01:17:24 AMIf I want to dive into Rimworld: for learning the game, should I disable the DLC for now? Or should I dive into the deep end?

Not looking for tips/tricks or what mods to use (yet), just wanting to do a blind dive. But also not get overwhelmed with all additional stuff from DLCs if it would make it too miserable.

With or without DLC: the swimmingpool is deep. But not using DLC makes it easier as you don't have to take a bunch of new mechanics into account. Try getting a settlement up and running, survive a few years...

Afterwards you can add the other content. All at once or one at a time.
Content wise Biotech has added the most: children, genetics, servitors, hybrids...
Then in decreasing order it's, imho, Ideology and then Royalty.
Anomaly, the most recent dlc, is a weird one and I can't really say much about it except that in one of the recent patches Tynan has made it possible to insert Anomaly events without having to play the 'story' content by disabling the triggers. If they're not disabled and you take the anomaly path then you're committed to that for the playthrough.

And then there's the mods of course...

Agree.  I love/played a ton of Rimworld...never bought any of the DLCs, but only because they didn't add anything that I found compelling (and wasn't overlapped/done better in mods).

Biotech is the only one I've considered adding, and might eventually.

But as implied, it is the mods that are the rabbit hole.  I play with about 300-400+  :blush:  It just has so many little QoL/single-detail/cosmetic varieties. There are some that would require a new game if they majorly change the structure. But all of them can be added over time to suit your tastes.

For mods, might be worth checking out the "Vanilla Expanded" series.  A good toe in the pool, mostly compartmentalized, an can add a lot of basic flavor before you start going into the deep end.

Thanks very much all.  I have been wondering how to approach this game.  Now I know.

Syt

Thanks, guys, I guess I'll start vanilla (though with DLC).

Tbh, I was looking at the Star Wars Outer Rim mods on the workshop. The idea of setting up a Rebel Cell, or an Imperial or Clone Outpost sounds quite fun. :blush:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas

Goddamit for a fighting chance of running Outlaws on High in 1080p (and that's probably with upscaling) I will be buying a GTX 4060, probably.

I had kind of forgotten how eventually your PC falls behind the times.

Syt

Don't get your hopes up too high. Don't expect too much. Setting yourself up for disappointment. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Tamas

Quote from: Syt on August 07, 2024, 12:20:48 AMDon't get your hopes up too high. Don't expect too much. Setting yourself up for disappointment. :P

Well yeah, in terms of the gameplay, again, I don't expect anything more than far cry / assassins creed. But it's Star Wars and you are not playing a Jedi. Those kind of games don't come around often.

Norgy

Quote from: Tamas on August 06, 2024, 04:14:43 PMGoddamit for a fighting chance of running Outlaws on High in 1080p (and that's probably with upscaling) I will be buying a GTX 4060, probably.

I'd actually recommend an AMD card, as they are cheaper. The 4060 is definitely good, but runs a bit hot at least in a laptop. So, since I have a spare RX 6900 XTX (from XFX, just so we can use all those letters we otherwise find useless) card, are you looking for desktop or laptop?

Josquius

I started jedi fallen order.
Seems very on rails. But with a large guessing element of wondering which elements are the one interactable path and which are just dressing.
Dissapointing

Also how many Jedis survived the elimination of all jedis now? And the baddy force users...
 skywalker and obi wan really weren't anything special afterall.
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

Quote from: Norgy on August 07, 2024, 10:11:32 AM
Quote from: Tamas on August 06, 2024, 04:14:43 PMGoddamit for a fighting chance of running Outlaws on High in 1080p (and that's probably with upscaling) I will be buying a GTX 4060, probably.

I'd actually recommend an AMD card, as they are cheaper. The 4060 is definitely good, but runs a bit hot at least in a laptop. So, since I have a spare RX 6900 XTX (from XFX, just so we can use all those letters we otherwise find useless) card, are you looking for desktop or laptop?

Thanks but I am not getting a Radeon card.

When I replace my rig as a whole I'll be getting an AMD CPU almost certainly, but that's as far as I'll go with AMD.

HVC

Got Rimworld after reading Syt ask for advice. So, what the hell do you do with all your wood?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

The Minsky Moment

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Syt

I have yet to start Rimworld -_- I will, though, promised! :D
—Stephen Jay Gould