News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Miscellaneous PC & vidya Games Thread

Started by Syt, June 26, 2012, 12:12:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norgy

Tamas

I have figured this out: I have subscribed to Ubi+ to get the Star Wars game 3 days early. Then if I do actually like it, I'll buy it before my subscription runs out, using the 20% discount which as I understand I am supposed to get as a Ubi+ member, thus still getting out slightly cheaper of the whole thing.

Meanwhile i can test my new graphics cards with Far Cry: Avatar (seriously that game is gorgeous but absolutely a Far Cry clone) and the AssCreed Mirage

Syt

Some comments from Jesse Cox have me a bit apprehensive re: some of the missions. He mentioned that in some combat you can pick up an enemy rifle, but when he climbed a ladder, the char would drop the rifle again. And with stealth missions it was hard to tell in advance whether messing up would lead to a firefight or would just reset (i.e. you get kicked out by the opponent and have to start over) and he saw not much logic in it. Mind you, that was from a preview version, and only a few hours of gameplay during a UBI Soft event. From what I've seen and read it's adequate to decent components that add up to more than the sum of their parts (or not), depending on preference.

Meanwhile, Final Fantasy XVI is coming to PC on Sep 17th. System specs seem reasonable (besides 170GB of SSD space ... :D ). Also, the price: 49.99 for basic version, 69.99 for the version with expansion pass etc. Considering the price some JRPGs launch at on PC (esp. when factoring special/ultimate editions) that seems quite modest :D (Warning: will come with Denuovo, if you care about that sort of thing)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

Tbf, I haven't really played much recently. I've mostly been noodling around creating Excel sheets that use tables and RNG to create prompts for AI image generation while listening to podcasts or video essays on YouTube. :D
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Tamas

Quote from: Syt on August 20, 2024, 01:10:08 AMSome comments from Jesse Cox have me a bit apprehensive re: some of the missions. He mentioned that in some combat you can pick up an enemy rifle, but when he climbed a ladder, the char would drop the rifle again. And with stealth missions it was hard to tell in advance whether messing up would lead to a firefight or would just reset (i.e. you get kicked out by the opponent and have to start over) and he saw not much logic in it. Mind you, that was from a preview version, and only a few hours of gameplay during a UBI Soft event. From what I've seen and read it's adequate to decent components that add up to more than the sum of their parts (or not), depending on preference.

I mean, it's Ubisoft. I am actually slightly worried that by spending the next couple of weeks testing other Ubi games thanks to my fresh subscription (I expect I'll have several HOURS available during that two-weeks period!), I'll burn out on the formula by the time I get to the SW game.

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

Josquius

I'm buying myself a new monitor.
Whilst I still have a graphics card over 5 years old and motherboard and processor that must be approaching a decade.
It does just seem to still work despite not supporting windows 11. I've not tried cyberpunk or any really high visual games but for standard stuff it's fine. Really seems things have slowed down there.
Still. Suspect I should upgrade before too long. The waste and buying a tonne of ram again rankes however

Quote from: Syt on August 21, 2024, 01:28:46 AMPeter Molyneux is working on a new god game :D

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/peter-molyneux-is-back-with-new-god-sim-masters-of-albion-which-looks-like-a-stripped-down-black-white

Maybe this time as he promises nothing special he actually will deliver wonders? Is that how it works?
But surprised he's still managing to keep going after his recent performance.
██████
██████
██████

HVC

In theory black and white seemed like a good idea for a game, but the execution was off.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

Quote from: HVC on August 21, 2024, 02:20:41 AMIn theory black and white seemed like a good idea for a game, but the execution was off.
Black and White was back when he was still good. Failing to deliver the best thing ever and instead delivering something merely decent was...fine. Though in hindsight indicated what was to come.
██████
██████
██████

Sophie Scholl

I've been playing a bit of Star Wars: The Old Republic to alleviate my World of Warcraft burnout and... it is still a really fun and (thankfully!) solobale game! Especially the launch release content. The KOTOR dark side/light side and choices matter aspects are really great.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Syt

It's been some years since I last played. I mostly disliked how, since the combat had been nerfed a lot, a lot of the combat just felt tedious. The stories are great, but it's not a good sign when you avoid fighting enemies not because it's hard and tough, but because it's a bit boring. :D
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: Syt on August 22, 2024, 01:13:59 AMIt's been some years since I last played. I mostly disliked how, since the combat had been nerfed a lot, a lot of the combat just felt tedious. The stories are great, but it's not a good sign when you avoid fighting enemies not because it's hard and tough, but because it's a bit boring. :D
:lol:  Yeah., sadly that is still an issue to some degree. They made everything more or less your level but kept the massive swarms of enemies everywhere and made them respawn fast. It is... not an ideal situation. I always play a stealth class to work around the annoyance.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Solmyr

These days you can also select any combat style for any character I believe, so you can play a Jedi knight for the story but fight like a smuggler or something. I should probably catch up on the story sometime soon, currently got back into WoW a bit. :ph34r: