News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

OK, nice mainstream New Testament names.  Nobody is ever scarred by a New Testament name.

Zanza

Top ten in Germany is fairly similar to our neighbours.

Girls
Emilia
Emma
Sophia
Hannah
Mia
Ella
Mila
Lina
Lia
Leni

Boys
Noah
Matteo
Elias
Leon
Paul
Theo
Luca
Finn
Liam
Emil

Tamas

So in the UK are all/near all Muslim boys getting Mohammed as a middle name or something? Can't imagine any other reason for the number 1 spot.

Josquius

Quote from: Tamas on June 23, 2024, 02:13:39 AMSo in the UK are all/near all Muslim boys getting Mohammed as a middle name or something? Can't imagine any other reason for the number 1 spot.

Basically yes.
This suggests it's a South Asian Muslim thing.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/dec/01/muhammad-truth-about-britains-most-misunderstood-baby-name

They're usually Muhammed Name-they-actually-use Surname
██████
██████
██████

The Brain

Quote from: Valmy on June 20, 2024, 10:25:20 AM
Quote from: The Brain on June 20, 2024, 10:11:08 AMThat may well be, I haven't spoken on fairness.

I didn't mean it that way.

What I was trying to say was that it is justified and correct to assume that a gay man is sexually attracted to men and an airline pilot is somebody who can fly an airplane.

What way?

Isn't being attracted to men part of the definition of a gay man?

Often it is correct to assume that an airline pilot knows what they're doing. Sometimes it isn't. Sometimes they're stinking drunk, or put their kids at the controls, or bulldoze copilots into submissive silence, etc.

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Grey Fox

Noah is really popular everywhere.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Jacob

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Syt on June 22, 2024, 10:05:57 PMFreddie, Charlie, Alfie, Archie? What's wrong with Frederick, Charles, Alfred, Archibald? :P
Well they're old-fashioned :P But I agree. I find it a bit odd and maybe limiting - they might want to use the formal version or have different names in different contexts. Give the kid the choice of being a Charles or a Charlie, say.

I find the bits of overlap between different countries interesting - and have no idea how Noah got so popular :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Oexmelin

A bit of hope in the face of impending cataclysm?
Que le grand cric me croque !

Josquius

Quote from: Grey Fox on June 23, 2024, 08:21:32 AMNoah is really popular everywhere.

I get the feeling in the UK it's time has passed. It was really big 10 years ago but less so with kids being born these days.
Alas trying to check data quickly I can't get anything that compares recent years.

It's really weird how trends come and go. I ended up giving my firstborn a really popular name which 10-20+ years ago was nowhere. The same trends acting on others as me I suppose.
I of course kicked this with the second and gave him a name with single figure kids in a year also getting it.
██████
██████
██████

The Brain

Quote from: Grey Fox on June 23, 2024, 08:21:32 AMNoah is really popular everywhere.

Tennis fans are a bit slow, but they get there eventually.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Barrister

Quote from: Syt on June 22, 2024, 10:46:14 PMPlenty biblical boys names, though

Naming my kids we wanted to go with kind of traditional names, but not names that were in the Top Ten list.

First kid named Timothy.  Second was Andrew.

At that point we realized we had accidentally given our kids biblical names.  Not that I was opposed to biblical names (far from it!) - just we had done so without thinking about it.

So last kid also had to have a biblical name - Joshua.

I mean - if a name has lasted 2000 years it means it's a pretty solid name...

(not - I think Joshua made the Top Ten list a couple of years, so we failed there.  Still don't know any Tim/Timothy's at his age though)
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Josquius

So many bills this month. I feel incredibly poor.  :cry:
██████
██████
██████

Tamas