News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: Barrister on June 21, 2024, 11:33:11 AMI don't know the exact stats, but from 20 years of experience in the criminal courts males make up 80-90% of our Accuseds.  There's just something about testosterone that makes people more aggressive and impulsive - which understandably might effect the rate they get into automobile accidents.
I think young men particularly. I believe age is still something which changes insurance rates - which is a challenge in attempting to ban ageism.
Let's bomb Russia!

Barrister

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 21, 2024, 11:41:31 AM
Quote from: Barrister on June 21, 2024, 11:33:11 AMI don't know the exact stats, but from 20 years of experience in the criminal courts males make up 80-90% of our Accuseds.  There's just something about testosterone that makes people more aggressive and impulsive - which understandably might effect the rate they get into automobile accidents.
I think young men particularly. I believe age is still something which changes insurance rates - which is a challenge in attempting to ban ageism.

Which is also reflected in crime.  Again I have zero stats, but it is definitely a thing to see many men "age out" of committing crime by the time they hit their 40s, 50s at most.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Legbiter

Current volcanic eruption is dying down but unfortunately the lava ran over the barriers close to the power plant and the Blue Lagoon a bit so we did the old Heimaey eruption water trick while simultaneously raising the barriers.

Can you outgrudge a volcano, yes under certain circumstances.  :sleep:
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Tamas on June 21, 2024, 11:01:27 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on June 21, 2024, 10:06:55 AMTop 10 Hungarian boy name for 2023 Quebec's equivalent (number is how many new born have the name) :

Dominik (Dominique) 0
Oliver (Olivier) 207
Levente 0
Mate (Mathieu) 21 (Mathias) 59
Marcell (Marcel) 14
Bence (Vincent) 39
Milan 218
Noel (Noel) 2
Zalan 1
Daniel 54

:bowler:

Is 200+ a lot? :unsure:

Seems like the Fast and Furious series are far less popular over there. :P

Seriously though a few years ago I read an article where a journalist did the research and yes, the number of "Dominiks" shot up after a F&F episode :bleeding: Then again it must have reached critical mass some time ago because it is just domi(haha)-nating all other names. One of my cousins has a son named Dominik (is he my great-nephew or what?)

Heck, even the best Hungarian football player (who has been underperforming in the Euros) is a Dominik, at age 23.

Top 30. Top 5 is 500+. #1(Noah) is 613 in 2023.

Dominique is much more a girls name nowadays.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

grumbler

Quote from: Legbiter on June 21, 2024, 12:38:50 PMCurrent volcanic eruption is dying down but unfortunately the lava ran over the barriers close to the power plant and the Blue Lagoon a bit so we did the old Heimaey eruption water trick while simultaneously raising the barriers.

(snip)

Can you outgrudge a volcano, yes under certain circumstances.  :sleep:

Thank goodness that worked better against a volcano than similar efforts did against Godzilla.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Jacob

Canada Top 20 (2022)

Quote from: GirlsOlivia, Emma, Charlotte, Amelia, Sophia, Chloe, Mia, Ava, Lily, Mila

Alice, Isla, Sofia, Evelyn, Abigail, Sophie, Nora, Charlie, Elle, Zoe

Quote from: BoysNoah, Liam, William, Leo, Theodore, Oliver, Benjamin, Thomas, Lucas, Jack

James, Jacob, Nathan, Logan, Ethan, Adam, Theo, Jackson, Owen, Henry

Denmark Top 20 (Jan-Jun 2023)

Quote from: GirlsFrida, Olivia, Alma, Ella, Agnes, Emma, Ellie, Luna, Sofia, Karla

Freja, Clara, Ida, Nora, Esther, Lily, Alberte, Ellen, Asta, Anna

Quote from: BoysNoah, William, Alfred, Carl, Aksel, Emil, Oscar, Malthe, Oliver, Arthur

August, Valdemar, Otto, Lucas, Elliot, Lauge, Theo, Elias, Huga, Magnus

Sheilbh

UK top 20s (from 2023). I had a sense on this but I find it mad how many Matts, Robs, Wills, Toms I know about my age - and none of those names are in the top 20 now :ph34r:
Quote1 Olivia, 2 Amelia, 3 Isla, 4 Lily, 5 Ava, 6 Freya, 7 Ivy, 8 Sophia, 9 Grace, 10 Willow, 11 Mia, 12 Isabella, 13 Daisy, 14 Elsie, 15 Evie, 16 Florence, 17 Ella, 18 Emily, 19 Evelyn, 20 Luna

Quote1 Muhammad, 2 Noah, 3 Theo, 4 Leo, 5 Oliver, 6 Arthur, 7 George, 8 Luca, 9 Freddie, 10 Jack, 11 Ethan, 12 Charlie, 13 Henry, 14 Oscar, 15 Jude, 16 Alfie, 17 Archie, 18 Lucas, 19 Liam, 20 Arlo
Let's bomb Russia!

HVC

Why is olivia/oliver so popular across so many cultures? Don't remember it being a thing when I was young.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Syt

Freddie, Charlie, Alfie, Archie? What's wrong with Frederick, Charles, Alfred, Archibald? :P

I kinda like Arlo, though.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

Meanwhile in Austria (2022):

Boys 1-20: Maximilian, Felix, Paul, Jakob, Noah, Elias, David, Jonas, Leon, Lukas, Tobias, Leo, Matteo, Alexander, Fabian, Julian, Valentin, Moritz, Simon, Theo

Girls 1-20: Emma, Emilia, Marie, Mia, Anna, Sophia, Laura, Valentina, Lena, Johanna, Lea, Hannah, Leonie, Sophie, Lina, Luisa, Lara, Elena, Ella, Nora

Austrians love girls names starting with L or E, I guess.  :hmm:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Valmy

No Franz, Karl, Joseph, Ferdinand, nor Conrad  :(
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Syt

Plenty biblical boys names, though
—Stephen Jay Gould

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Syt on June 22, 2024, 10:46:14 PMPlenty biblical boys names, though

I assume you're thinking more about Old Testament names?

Syt

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 22, 2024, 10:47:57 PMI assume you're thinking more about Old Testament names?

Paul, Jakob, Noah, Elias, David, Jonas, Lukas, Tobias, Matteo (= Matthew/Matthias), Simon - mix of old and new?
Plus some names with Latin origins - Maximilian, Felix, Fabian, Valentin, Leo, Moritz (from Mauritius = St Maurice) - which were usually pope and/or saints (with the exception of Felix, I think?). Not to mention Theo, releated to the Greek word for "God". :P
—Stephen Jay Gould