News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NHL Hockey thread

Started by Barrister, March 07, 2011, 12:49:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

Quote from: Valmy on June 03, 2024, 07:29:17 AM
Quote from: HVC on June 03, 2024, 05:06:39 AMHa, take that bettman!

Still have to beat the Panthers -_-

Ugh, that would be fitting. To lose to a team from fucking Florida.

*moved not to clutter up BBs gloating thread :D
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Barrister

Quote from: HVC on June 03, 2024, 08:03:56 AM
Quote from: Valmy on June 03, 2024, 07:29:17 AM
Quote from: HVC on June 03, 2024, 05:06:39 AMHa, take that bettman!

Still have to beat the Panthers -_-

Ugh, that would be fitting. To lose to a team from fucking Florida.

*moved not to clutter up BBs gloating thread :D

Very thoughtful of you.  -_-

I'm very ambivalent about this Stanley Cup Final.  So on the one hand we have the Florida Panthers.  A southern market that has had pretty terrible attendance.  Their head coach is Paul Maurice - who coached the Winnipeg Jets for I believe 7 years.  He wasn't fired though - he quit on the team.  So I don't like that he quit. but I still kind of like Maurice.  He's a great interview if nothing else.

On the other hand we have the Edmonton Oilers.  I have hated the Oilers my entire life.  It's a good, clean, pure hate.  But I live in Edmonton, and I've raised 3 kids here - all of whom are big Oilers fans (even the kid who doesn't play hockey has gotten super into this playoff run).  So I know it would make them happy if the Oilers won.

So I guess I want the Oilers to win?  Doesn't feel right though...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Grey Fox

I'd like for the Oilers to win. I'd like Canada to win the cup again while avoiding it being the Maple Leafs.

However, I am fine with it being the Panthers. Like the Vegas Golden Knights were for the 12 years back in 2018, the Panthers were that for me in 1996.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

HVC

Quote from: Grey Fox on June 03, 2024, 03:38:21 PMI'd like for the Oilers to win. I'd like Canada to win the cup again

:yeah:

Quotewhile avoiding it being the Maple Leafs.

:glare:

Although I haven't watched a game since the leafs blew up (this season)
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Barrister

Several times my youngest has tried asking me who my second favourite team is (trying to get me to say Oilers).  I politely decline.

So he asks why I hate the oilers.  My reply is that when I was a kid the Oilers just won all the time and it didn't seem fair (which is true!) - but that the Oilers aren't my most hated team.

That would be the Maple Leafs. -_-

Barrister

There's a very short video of a woman flashing her breasts at a recent Oilers game floating around on social media.

So of course at last night's rec hockey game every single guy there had seen that video and commented on it.

We men can be so predictable. -_-

Valmy

If only there was another place on the internet to see breasts  :(

:lol:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Grey Fox

Quote from: HVC on June 03, 2024, 03:53:34 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on June 03, 2024, 03:38:21 PMI'd like for the Oilers to win. I'd like Canada to win the cup again

:yeah:

Quotewhile avoiding it being the Maple Leafs.

:glare:

Although I haven't watched a game since the leafs blew up (this season)

I'm not sorry. When the Bruins play the Leafs, I want the arena to be swallowed by the earth.

Valmy

I fucking hate Florida and they are almost certainly going to win.  :cry:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on June 03, 2024, 03:55:41 PMSeveral times my youngest has tried asking me who my second favourite team is (trying to get me to say Oilers).  I politely decline.

So he asks why I hate the oilers.  My reply is that when I was a kid the Oilers just won all the time and it didn't seem fair (which is true!) - but that the Oilers aren't my most hated team.

That would be the Maple Leafs. -_-
One of my cousins hates the Bruins with a passion.  He hates Marchand too, obviously.  Now, his 8 year old boy plays hockey in the street and calls himself "Brad Marchand".  :P
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Valmy

Yeah. Fucking Florida.

Damn you Edmonton for being so shitty outside of your big stars.

Grey Fox

Valmy, your Capitals are stealing Cap Friendly from all of us.

I hope no good things ever come to that team ever again.

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on June 09, 2024, 01:32:12 PMYeah. Fucking Florida.

Damn you Edmonton for being so shitty outside of your big stars.

I dunno - I thought the oilers just got goalied yesterday,

Valmy

Quote from: Grey Fox on June 09, 2024, 07:00:51 PMI hope no good things ever come to that team ever again.

It's ok even if they don't. That one Stanley Cup can sustain me for a very long time.

crazy canuck

QuoteThe few ratings numbers that have been released haven't been great. They're up in Canada, but not up in a way that suggests the Oilers have captivated any non-sports obsessives. According to the NHL, seven million people across North America watched Game 1.

When the Toronto Raptors were rolling to the 2019 NBA championship, the nightly number crested eight million. And that was just in Canada.

The NHL should consider becoming a sport. Rather than cheap shots and fighting on ice.