News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NHL Hockey thread

Started by Barrister, March 07, 2011, 12:49:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

If the Oilers can just score 8 goals every night they might have a shot at this comeback.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 16, 2024, 09:25:00 AM
QuoteThe few ratings numbers that have been released haven't been great. They're up in Canada, but not up in a way that suggests the Oilers have captivated any non-sports obsessives. According to the NHL, seven million people across North America watched Game 1.

When the Toronto Raptors were rolling to the 2019 NBA championship, the nightly number crested eight million. And that was just in Canada.

The NHL should consider becoming a sport. Rather than cheap shots and fighting on ice.

People consider MMA a sport.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Barrister

QuoteThe few ratings numbers that have been released haven't been great. They're up in Canada, but not up in a way that suggests the Oilers have captivated any non-sports obsessives. According to the NHL, seven million people across North America watched Game 1.

When the Toronto Raptors were rolling to the 2019 NBA championship, the nightly number crested eight million. And that was just in Canada.

The NHL should consider becoming a sport. Rather than cheap shots and fighting on ice.

Dude - you're like "almost there" about why 2019 had such great ratings in Canada, and why 2024 has merely okay ratings...

And it has nothing to do with cheap shots and fighting (of which there's basically no fighting in the SC Finals).
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on June 16, 2024, 01:33:45 PM

People consider MMA a sport.

Yes, it is.

Are you trying to suggest the NHL is similar to MMA?

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on June 16, 2024, 11:10:12 PM

Dude - you're like "almost there" about why 2019 had such great ratings in Canada, and why 2024 has merely okay ratings...

And it has nothing to do with cheap shots and fighting (of which there's basically no fighting in the SC Finals).

Did you notice that the number of people in all of North America who are watching is less than just the Canadian audience for the Raptors run?

Grey Fox

I don't think transforming the NHL into the NBA is a good thing. The NBA already exists.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 17, 2024, 08:10:58 AM
Quote from: Barrister on June 16, 2024, 11:10:12 PM

Did you notice that the number of people in all of North America who are watching is less than just the Canadian audience for the Raptors run?

Yeah and that has zero to do with fighting in the NHL. If they leaned into that and it was as common as you seem to think they would probably get much higher ratings.

It is because the NHL ignores, and really works to alienate, its traditional markets while desperately trying to get Americans in the south to watch. It isn't going to happen.

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 17, 2024, 08:10:58 AMYes, it is.

No. People like MMA though, more fighting less skating.

Valmy

Quote from: Grey Fox on June 17, 2024, 08:33:55 AMI don't think transforming the NHL into the NBA is a good thing. The NBA already exists.

Not for lack of trying on the part of the NHL.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on June 17, 2024, 09:01:10 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on June 17, 2024, 08:10:58 AMYes, it is.

No. People like MMA though, more fighting less skating.

Right, so why not have a sport which is about skating, be about skating and not about fighting

Quote from: Grey Fox on June 17, 2024, 08:33:55 AMI don't think transforming the NHL into the NBA is a good thing. The NBA already exists.

My guess is the owners of the NHL teams would disagree with your as

Valmy

The funny part is, they have been trying and failing to be the NBA so long that the version of the NBA they sought to emulate doesn't really exist anymore.

Barrister

Edmonton is buzzing.  Oilers, after being down 3-0 in the series, is now at 3-2 with the series coming to Edmonton for game 6.  Connor McDavid with 4 points in each of the last two games.

Barrister

BY the way - right at the end of the game, Florida is down 4-3, Florida has an empty net.

Matthew Tkachuk has the most AMAZING save on the empty net - he skates back hard, dives on his belly, and with just the tip of his stick he scoops the puck out just an inch away from crossing the goal line.

Then Connor McDavid gets the puck and scores like 3 second later.  But still it was an amazing move.

Jacob

If Vancouver was in that position, I'd begin to worry about riots...

I trust Edmonton is more chill than that?