Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Tamas

Quote from: Josquius on May 23, 2024, 02:51:17 PMWould my vote be valid if I did it in blood?

I guess so given the wank, not wank, vote of a few years ago.

Given I'm in one of the safest labour seats going I'm thinking to vote green incidentally. Send a tiny message on a few fronts.

Wtf

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tamas on May 23, 2024, 02:43:21 PMAm I reading it right that Sunak is cancelling the last excuses they wanted to pass as work like the Rwanda bill, etc?
Well if you have an election Parliament is dissolved (I think tomorrow) and any legislation that isn't completely passed, fails. Given this there's a thing called the "wash-up process" that allows some bills (including non government bills) that have passed almost all legislative stages to be basically expedited to being passed before the dissolution.

But it requires the cooperation of the opposition - so they basically have a total veto. If they're totally opposed a bill will fail entirely, alternately it might get basically passed if they're more or less okay with it, or the government might drastically shorten it to only inoffensive bits.

So far the bills that have made it are on victims and prisoners, media, digital regulation, Post Office compensation scheme and the budget - the data protection reform might make it. Everything else is gone.
Let's bomb Russia!

Jacob

My feeling is that pencils for voting are perfectly safe because the process of voting, observing, and counting has enough transparency and scrutiny that "fucking with individual vote marks" is a non-issue.

For it to be an issue, the process itself (and the volunteers involved) would have to be massively compromised and subverted... to a degree that the challenge for anyone fucking with the votes would not have to do with the challenge of erasing pencil marks.

Grey Fox

Are UK greens double probation Tories like in Canada?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Gups

Tamas

Quote from: Jacob on May 23, 2024, 05:47:14 PMMy feeling is that pencils for voting are perfectly safe because the process of voting, observing, and counting has enough transparency and scrutiny that "fucking with individual vote marks" is a non-issue.

For it to be an issue, the process itself (and the volunteers involved) would have to be massively compromised and subverted... to a degree that the challenge for anyone fucking with the votes would not have to do with the challenge of erasing pencil marks.

That's a fair point, I stand convinced.

Tamas

Quote from: Josquius on May 23, 2024, 02:51:17 PMWould my vote be valid if I did it in blood?

Given I'm in one of the safest labour seats going I'm thinking to vote green incidentally. Send a tiny message on a few fronts.

Coming back to this, if there is enough people thinking like you, we'll miss the one chance to destroy the Tory Party. What passed as "governing" for the past 10 years must be punished so overwhelmingly that it is never attempted again for decades.

Sheilbh

Corbyn running as an independent I. Islington North. I suspect Starmer will be pretty pleased to remind everyone that he kicked Corbyn out the party.
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

Quote from: Tamas on May 24, 2024, 03:26:01 AM

Coming back to this, if there is enough people thinking like you, we'll miss the one chance to destroy the Tory Party. What passed as "governing" for the past 10 years must be punished so overwhelmingly that it is never attempted again for decades.

Yes.
But that's not happening here and I don't think there are enough people like me (unfortunately or else labour would already have those policies)
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

Quote from: Josquius on May 24, 2024, 04:04:44 AM

Yes.
But that's not happening here and I don't think there are enough people like me (unfortunately or else labour would already have those policies)

If Labour ends up with a majority off less than 70 I'll blame you and your attitude.  :mad:

And, I mean, the GREENS?! You are the inverse version of OvB and his insane pivot to Trump.

Richard Hakluyt

I am also in a constituency where Labour will win with an enormous majority. But I will still vote for them. Pile the votes high, I want the tories to learn that their right wing shenanigans of the past decade or more are anathema to the British people.

Sheilbh

Labour haven't even won and otherwise lefty people are already wanting to "send a message" :lol: :weep:
Let's bomb Russia!

Richard Hakluyt

A message that the Labour leadership hears every day anyway.

Josquius

Quote from: Tamas on May 24, 2024, 04:06:54 AM

Yes.

If Labour ends up with a majority off less than 70 I'll blame you and your attitude.  :mad:

And, I mean, the GREENS?! You are the inverse version of OvB and his insane pivot to Trump.

They should have thought of that before they started a campaign against local wildlife :p

And what do you mean the GREENS?
A Green government would be a complete disaster. But that is never happening. We could certainly do with a few more Green MPs however.  The environment is the most important issue of our time (and yes, well aware the English Greens policies are usually pretty anti-environment and rubbish)

Semi related.
Seems we have a candidate from these guys running in the next election.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_Democratic_Party_(UK,_1990%E2%80%93present)

On the surface its "Social Democratic Party? Awesome! Sign me up!"
But read about them and...

QuoteThe Social Democratic Party (SDP) is a political party in the United Kingdom established in 1990. Ideologically, the SDP combines social conservatism with centre-left economic policy
...wut.

QuoteIn October 2022, the SDP announced a general election pact with the right-wing populist and Eurosceptic party Reform UK

So...they're using the name to push fascy bollocks by stealth.
██████
██████
██████

HVC

Quote from: Tamas on May 24, 2024, 04:06:54 AM

Yes.

It's why lefties can't have nice things. Turn on their own almost immediately :D
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.