Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Tamas

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 22, 2024, 11:20:48 AMNot sure why he still did the speech outside given the rain, also not helped by someone playing Things Can Only Get Better over him :lol:

Such shambles, very enjoyable.  :D

Yeah I would look into postal ballots but I'll just be back in time to vote in person.

PJL

LOL, John Curtice called Rishi Sunak very brave or extremely foolhardy in calling the election now. So in effect he's called Sunak a fool twice...

Richard Hakluyt

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tamas on May 22, 2024, 11:29:59 AMSuch shambles, very enjoyable.  :D
Reminds me of the Labour campaign event in 2010 when they were launching some poster in a car park and there was a literal car crash while Gordon Brown was up :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Barrister

Very interesting.

I'm not sure who I'd give my all important non-citizen non-vote to in the UK.  Sunak's government hasn't done anything that I would consider automatically disqualifying, and ideologically of course I am a conservative - but as was mentioned they just haven't seen very good at their jobs either.

I haven't heard as much about Keir Starmer, but that might be a good thing as the only reason you tend to head about opposition leaders is if they have made colossal mistakes (I did hear lots about Corbyn).

I think I would be tempted to vote Conservative, but only as a means of trying to maintain a right-wing opposition in the face of a seemingly inevitable Labour victory.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Richard Hakluyt

Well if you were here you could take your local candidate into account, some of them are typical conservatives as opposed to members of the increasingly powerful wing nut tendency.

Barrister

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on May 22, 2024, 12:15:38 PMWell if you were here you could take your local candidate into account, some of them are typical conservatives as opposed to members of the increasingly powerful wing nut tendency.

I mean maybe - but I find the local candidate rarely makes much difference to me.  Maybe I just haven't had any obvious loonies to vote for yet as local candidates.

Josquius

Quote from: Tamas on May 22, 2024, 11:29:59 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on May 22, 2024, 11:20:48 AMNot sure why he still did the speech outside given the rain, also not helped by someone playing Things Can Only Get Better over him :lol:

Yeah I would look into postal ballots but I'll just be back in time to vote in person.

They're worth it even if you're always here. Gives you a week to get around to filling in and posting your vote so covers for anything unexpected stopping you on polling day.
Though I suppose visiting the actual polling place once could be an experience? I've never actually voted in one.
██████
██████
██████

crazy canuck

You are missing out.  I enjoy voting at a polling place.

Tamas

Quote from: Josquius on May 22, 2024, 01:31:20 PMThough I suppose visiting the actual polling place once could be an experience? I've never actually voted in one.

For one thing it is good for laughs as you cast your vote WITH A PENCIL.

Barrister

Quote from: Josquius on May 22, 2024, 01:31:20 PM
Quote from: Tamas on May 22, 2024, 11:29:59 AM

They're worth it even if you're always here. Gives you a week to get around to filling in and posting your vote so covers for anything unexpected stopping you on polling day.
Though I suppose visiting the actual polling place once could be an experience? I've never actually voted in one.

:o

I always find going to the polls to be a kind of moving experience.  You're surrounded by all your neighbours helping to participate in choosing your government.  I always make a point of taking my kids just to instill that kind of civic virtue in them.

Admiral Yi

Josquius

I'm sure I remember going to a polling place with my mam once when I was a kid.
But then from 18 I was at uni and getting back to my town to vote on a thursday would have been a pita. When I was living abroad postal voting (unofficial proxy voting really) was even more needed.
It's just so much more convenient to posts vote.
And far more secure than pencils :p
██████
██████
██████

Barrister

Quote from: Josquius on May 22, 2024, 03:33:51 PMI'm sure I remember going to a polling place with my mam once when I was a kid.
But then from 18 I was at uni and getting back to my town to vote on a thursday would have been a pita. When I was living abroad postal voting (unofficial proxy voting really) was even more needed.
It's just so much more convenient to posts vote.
And far more secure than pencils :p

Jos, I mean you do you of course.  I'm not trying to force you to vote in person.

But it is a special kind of experience you should try at least once.

And I've never heard anyone say pencils are suspect.  You know there are scrutineers right?  You can't get someone with an eraser frantically changing votes...

Admiral Yi

Beeb, no one outside of Canada knows what a scrutineer is.