News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Based on the experience of every parent I know you can look forward to all kinds of fun illnesses they bring home and share with the family. :)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas

Quote from: Syt on May 20, 2024, 03:55:41 AMBased on the experience of every parent I know you can look forward to all kinds of fun illnesses they bring home and share with the family. :)

Oh yes, actually I came down with something after visiting this nursery we have chosen, so it was a proper demo.  :D

Josquius

Just why is president Xi not called president shi?
Yeah yeah, because that's the way pinyin spelling rules go.
But why?
Seems curious they went this way. In Japanese they quite happily use shi for this sound: thought Incidentally I recently read in some official uses they use a system you'd never generally see and are only just killing this other system officially. Shibuya is Sibuya in many documents.
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

Quote from: grumbler on May 19, 2024, 09:53:19 AMI ran this through my gibberish-to-English translator and it still came out as gibberish.

Then either you do not posses a gibberish to English translator or what I posted was not gibberish.

Maladict

Quote from: Josquius on May 20, 2024, 09:40:20 AMJust why is president Xi not called president shi?
But why?
Seems curious they went this way. In Japanese they quite happily use shi for this sound: thought Incidentally I recently read in some official uses they use a system you'd never generally see and are only just killing this other system officially. Shibuya is Sibuya in many documents.

Why wouldn't transliteration rules be different for two distinct writing systems? Going out on a limb here, but maybe X doesn't fully equate to the English sh sound?

Tamas

Sheilbh

Quote from: Maladict on May 20, 2024, 10:37:42 AMWhy wouldn't transliteration rules be different for two distinct writing systems? Going out on a limb here, but maybe X doesn't fully equate to the English sh sound?
More to the point x doesn't equate to sh in Chinese. They're two distinct sounds.

That's the Pinyin but in Wades-Giles Xi would be Hsi and Shi would be Shih.
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

Quote from: Maladict on May 20, 2024, 10:37:42 AM
Quote from: Josquius on May 20, 2024, 09:40:20 AMJust why is president Xi not called president shi?
But why?

Why wouldn't transliteration rules be different for two distinct writing systems? Going out on a limb here, but maybe X doesn't fully equate to the English sh sound?

It sounds like shi to me.
The Chinese apparently have another subtly different shi...
But does that really matter when writing phonetically in English?
Does it cause admin headaches to have names be different in one language but not another?
I suppose having president Xi is rather useful for them in finally teaching the world it's shi not zee.
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Quote from: Josquius on May 20, 2024, 12:14:03 PMIt sounds like shi to me.
The Chinese apparently have another subtly different shi...
Does it cause admin headaches to have names be different in one language but not another?
I suppose having president Xi is rather useful for them in finally teaching the world it's shi not zee.
I mean it's wrong. Every phoneticism of Chinese distinguishes between sh and x/hs as different sounds. They are different.

I think it's interesting though because I think if Chinese had an alphabet based script, I don't think there'd be any argument because they'd be different letters in the alphabet that was being transliterated just because they're close. You think of k v q in Arabic. I think it says something about the way we give primacy to written text over the spoken.

(Also perhaps a distinctively English indifference to what we write having any link to what we say because, unlike most languages, there's no more than a nodding acquaintance in English :lol:)
Let's bomb Russia!

Maladict

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 20, 2024, 01:31:16 PMI think it's interesting though because I think if Chinese had an alphabet based script, I don't think there'd be any argument because they'd be different letters in the alphabet that was being transliterated just because they're close. You think of k v q in Arabic. I think it says something about the way we give primacy to written text over the spoken.

Certainly. Although I'm reminded of T.E. Lawrence driving his editor mad in refusing to be consistent about transliterating personal names. According to Lawrence there was no point, as no satisfactory system exists because the languages are simply too different.

I suppose if you transliterate 'London' to Arabic and then back to English you'd get Lundun or Landan.

Jacob

Quote from: Josquius on May 20, 2024, 12:14:03 PMIt sounds like shi to me.

Well that settles it  :lol:

QuoteThe Chinese apparently have another subtly different shi...

Pinyin is not "writing Chinese phonetically in English". Pinyin is a method for using the roman alphabet to express Mandarin Chinese (developed in China). And Mandarin Chinese distinguishes between "shi" and "xi".

For some reason the style guides of most English language publications use Pinyin* rather than inventing the own transliteration scheme. I don't know if there'll be much demand for a "Chinese to English as it sounds to the average punter" transliteration scheme, but I guess you never know...

*and before that Wade-Giles which - as Sheilbh pointed out - distinguishes betweeen the two sounds as "shih" and "hsi".

HVC

Funny aside, Xixi is piss in portuguese.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Grey Fox

How is Hsi suppose to sound?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 20, 2024, 03:25:18 PMHow is Hsi suppose to sound?
Not unlike Xi :P

According to what I saw it's a softer sh. Apparently try to pronounce sh but with your tongue below your lower front teeth that's x or hs.
Let's bomb Russia!