News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 02, 2024, 12:18:17 PMYeah - I basically entirely ignore any conversation about appropriation in the context of food - largely because it tends to be just a short leap from "authenticity" which I find the most arid cul-de-sac of how to look at (or for) food imaginable.

And any time you decide you want to make an "authentic" traditional recipe - you will quickly find that there are hundreds of slightly different ways to make it.  Because everyone's grandmother / abuela / baba all made it slightly differently.

We have this fight over holubtsi (Ukrainian cabbage rolls).  They can be made with meat or meatless, rolled quite large or quite small, with sweet or sour cabbage, with or without tomato sauce - and everyone swears "theirs" is the most authentic.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

HVC

Quote from: Jacob on February 02, 2024, 11:15:35 AMJapanese curry is great :)

It's not "bad" bad, but it's a thick sauce that's somewhat sweet and uses curry for only colouring :D . It's got nothing on Indian or even Thai curry.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

HVC

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 02, 2024, 10:22:02 AM
Quote from: HVC on February 02, 2024, 09:22:52 AMJapanese curry is the worst curry. Fight me.

Korean curry is pretty miserable.

Makes sense, it's a photocopy of a photocopy of a photocopy :D

I like your take on Chinese food though. Jajangmyeon Is great.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

Sheilbh

Quote from: HVC on February 02, 2024, 03:20:37 PMIt's not "bad" bad, but it's a thick sauce that's somewhat sweet and uses curry for only colouring :D . It's got nothing on Indian or even Thai curry.
But they're different dishes that you want at different times in different ways :o
Let's bomb Russia!

Barrister

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 02, 2024, 03:56:16 PM
Quote from: HVC on February 02, 2024, 03:20:37 PMIt's not "bad" bad, but it's a thick sauce that's somewhat sweet and uses curry for only colouring :D . It's got nothing on Indian or even Thai curry.
But they're different dishes that you want at different times in different ways :o

I mean - Japanese curry is something that can come together in like 30 minutes.  If I'm cooking an Indian curry it's going to take much longer.

HVC

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 02, 2024, 03:56:16 PM

But the others are better, hence the Japanese version being the "worst".

As a fat man I take food very seriously :lol:

Josquius

Chinese curry isn't anywhere near as good as Japanese... But I still end up getting it once or twice a month as Chinese takeaways are so omnipresent.
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

I disagree! I think there are times when Japanese curry is exactly what I want (especially if I do katsu). That specific curry, breadcrumbed pork or chicken, melty veg, white plain rice (or white bread) :mmm:

No better or worse just different needs/wants/moods.
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

Quote from: Josquius on February 02, 2024, 04:03:00 PMChinese curry isn't anywhere near as good as Japanese... But I still end up getting it once or twice a month as Chinese takeaways are so omnipresent.
oh no

This is exactly the comment that caused the last online flair of British-American shit-talking about food as Americans were shocked to discover that British-Chinese takeaways serve different food than Chinese-American takeaways :ph34r:
Let's bomb Russia!

Barrister

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 02, 2024, 04:05:42 PMI disagree! I think there are times when Japanese curry is exactly what I want (especially if I do katsu). That specific curry, breadcrumbed pork or chicken, melty veg, white plain rice (or white bread) :mmm:

No better or worse just different needs/wants/moods.

My wife and I made fried bologna sandwiches the other day.  They were delicious!

Obviously I don't want to live on fried bologna sandwiches, but that day it tasted amazing.

Sheilbh

On curry though it is the thing I massively crave when I get back to the UK after a holiday - the second I land, I immediately want a massive Indian takeaway :ph34r:
Let's bomb Russia!

HVC

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 02, 2024, 04:11:35 PMOn curry though it is the thing I massively crave when I get back to the UK after a holiday - the second I land, I immediately want a massive Indian takeaway :ph34r:
see :contract:  :P

HVC

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 02, 2024, 04:06:37 PM
Quote from: Josquius on February 02, 2024, 04:03:00 PMChinese curry isn't anywhere near as good as Japanese... But I still end up getting it once or twice a month as Chinese takeaways are so omnipresent.
oh no

This is exactly the comment that caused the last online flair of British-American shit-talking about food as Americans were shocked to discover that British-Chinese takeaways serve different food than Chinese-American takeaways :ph34r:

Ahem as a Canadian in that fight I'm insulted :D

Sheilbh

Quote from: HVC on February 02, 2024, 04:12:13 PMsee :contract:  :P
:lol: And fair to say I don't want anything "authentic".
Let's bomb Russia!