News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

I read an article about how pizza wasn't actually very popular in italy itself until the American occupation and cultural influence - it was a purely Neapolitan dish confined to that city (where it was only really eaten by the poor).

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

HVC

Pepperoni was invented in New York. A lot of popular Italian fare was created or modified in the states and reintroduced into Italy during and after ww2
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Josquius

QuoteAnd even authentic food isn't authentic. Go back 100 years, and often less, and recipes and ingredients are different. "Traditionalists" are misguided. I'm looking at you Italians.

It's fascinating that in a way, go back to the 19th century or do and history basically stopped. The way things were became set in stone as the traditional way things have always been.
With some traditions this cemented later and it's not like change totally stopped - turkey coming to dominate Christmas for instance is relatively recent.
But so much of the world we know and so many assume is basically eternal is so very recently established and there purely by fluke of being next to the chair when the music stopped.

Quote from: Barrister on February 02, 2024, 05:41:40 PMI read an article about how pizza wasn't actually very popular in italy itself until the American occupation and cultural influence - it was a purely Neapolitan dish confined to that city (where it was only really eaten by the poor).

I posted a interesting video about that in the YouTube thread a few weeks back.
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

Quote from: HVC on February 02, 2024, 03:26:45 PMI like your take on Chinese food though. Jajangmyeon Is great.

How did a round eye find himself in a Korean-Chinese restaurant?

HVC

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 02, 2024, 08:42:16 PM
Quote from: HVC on February 02, 2024, 03:26:45 PMI like your take on Chinese food though. Jajangmyeon Is great.

How did a round eye find himself in a Korean-Chinese restaurant?

Very popular around these parts. A lot of our sushi (read most) are korean run so always had things like galbi and kimchi. Eventually korean restaurants themselves became a thing.

Not a fan of korean stews, or stews in general, and it took a while to like noodles in icebaths. Rest of the stuff is great. Most round eyes (hehe) around here stick to korean bbq but I do like other stuff too. Jokbal is great. As are the seafood and green onion pancakes, to name a few. Gimbap has its place too. And Jajangmyeon of course.

Korean chicken is the new thing since about 5 years ago

*edit* dammit, now I want korean. Dinner tomorrow it is. Mmm mmm tteokbokki. And yes I did have to look up the spelling of tteokbokki and Jajangmyeon.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

Admiral Yi

Quote from: HVC on February 02, 2024, 09:19:38 PMVery popular around these parts. A lot of our sushi (read most) are korean run so always had things like galbi and kimchi. Eventually korean restaurants themselves became a thing.

Not a fan of korean stews, or stews in general, and it took a while to like noodles in icebaths. Rest of the stuff is great. Most round eyes (hehe) around here stick to korean bbq but I do like other stuff too. Jokbal is great. As are the seafood and green onion pancakes, to name a few. Gimbap has its place too. And Jajangmyeon of course.

Korean chicken is the new thing since about 5 years ago

*edit* dammit, now I want korean. Dinner tomorrow it is. Mmm mmm tteokbokki. And yes I did have to look up the spelling of tteokbokki and Jajangmyeon.

See, when I was in Korea you couldn't get jajangmyeon in a Korean restaurant, you had to go to a Korean Chinese restaurant.  That's why I was surprised you had jajangmyeon.  BTW next time you're in one of these joints see if they have sewoogangpoonggi on the menu.  Another Korean Chinese staple and I think it's awesome.  Fried shrimp with a garlic and green onion sauce.

Fun fact about Korea, all the people of Chinese descent were kicked out of the country some time in the 80s or 90s. 

HVC

Not all of them have it, which could be why if it's a Chinese restaurant in Korea staple. I'll try your recommendation, and butcher the pronunciation. Just hope you're not getting me to curse someone out :D

Josquius

It's funny to think over there Korean is the cheap unexciting option so much so koreans run sushi places.
Here sushi is virtually universally chinese ran - I had a Chinese immigrant explain to me one time about the standard "starter packs" that are available for chinese takeaways but that many come to realise the margins are bigger on trendy sushi.
These days Korean seems to be falling into the same box with Chinese people looking to make more money opening Korean places.
I've yet to go to one alas. My girlfriend doesn't like spicy food :(
██████
██████
██████

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Admiral Yi

My new slang word is thot.  It means slut or whore.

HVC

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 03, 2024, 08:05:25 AMMy new slang word is thot.  It means slut or whore.

That Hoe Over There.

Sheilbh

Quote from: HVC on February 02, 2024, 09:19:38 PMNot a fan of korean stews, or stews in general, and it took a while to like noodles in icebaths. Rest of the stuff is great. Most round eyes (hehe) around here stick to korean bbq but I do like other stuff too. Jokbal is great. As are the seafood and green onion pancakes, to name a few. Gimbap has its place too. And Jajangmyeon of course.

I don't even understand how someone can be anti-stew. Literally all my favourite foods are, ultimately, stews :ph34r:
Let's bomb Russia!

HVC

You're paying for water!!!

:P don't really like soup either. Although I'm kind of ok with thicker stews like feijoada

Josquius

Most food is just stew with the water (and all those nutrients that leaked into it whilst cooking) removed :p
██████
██████
██████

HVC

Nutrients are over rated :P