News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

Wasn't there a big data breach where they blamed customers for having weak passwords?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on January 30, 2024, 08:54:02 PM
Quote from: Jacob on January 30, 2024, 08:02:20 PMSaw a Vinfast car on the road earlier today.

Never heard of it, so I went home to search it on the internet. Turns out it's a Vietnamese E-Car manufacturer who has entered the Canadian and US markets in 2023.

The car looked decent enough in traffic and online. Certainly more attractive than a Tesla on first glance.

Do any of you know anything about the company or their cars?

Quality is so so especially the software but they are competitive. They plan to introduce a small size electric vehicle in  NA. The VF3 with a starting price of 20k$cad. If they can sustain some quality it will be a great thing to have really cheap electric cars.

I thought I had read that Vinfast's are absolutely terrible, and not particularly cheap.

I mean here's a couple reviews.

This one is titled "2023 VinFast VF8 First Drive: Return to Sender"

https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/2023-vinfast-vf8-electric-suv-first-drive-review/

This one is "Tested: 2023 VinFast VF8 Proves Building Cars Is Hard"

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a43878817/2023-vinfast-vf8-by-the-numbers/

Or "Critics Agree: The VinFast VF8 Is Very, Very Bad"

https://jalopnik.com/everyone-agrees-the-vinfast-vf8-is-very-very-bad-1850432490

I don't know about any upcoming cars they have planned, but the VF8 is around $50k so it's not exactly cheap.  If it was both really cheap and really bad some people might still buy one, but not expensive and bad.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Jacob

I guess Vinfast aren't established enough to have bought out the car reviewers yet, unlike more established manufacturers  :lol:

FunkMonk

Connections
Puzzle #234
🟩🟩🟩🟩
🟪🟪🟦🟦
🟨🟨🟦🟪
🟪🟦🟦🟨
🟨🟨🟨🟨
🟪🟪🟪🟪
🟦🟦🟦🟦

Wordle 956 3/6*

🟨⬛⬛🟩⬛
⬛⬛🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

frunk

Quote from: FunkMonk on January 31, 2024, 02:17:43 PMConnections
Puzzle #234
🟩🟩🟩🟩
🟪🟪🟦🟦
🟨🟨🟦🟪
🟪🟦🟦🟨
🟨🟨🟨🟨
🟪🟪🟪🟪
🟦🟦🟦🟦

I do Connections, and I think today was the first time I had a guess that used all 4:
Connections
Puzzle #234
🟦🟨🟪🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩
🟨🟨🟦🟨
🟨🟨🟨🟨
🟦🟦🟦🟦
🟪🟪🟪🟪

Josquius

The review is right that vinfast is a shit name.
Some kind of offbrand slim fast
██████
██████
██████

FunkMonk

Quote from: frunk on January 31, 2024, 02:58:39 PM
Quote from: FunkMonk on January 31, 2024, 02:17:43 PMConnections
Puzzle #234
🟩🟩🟩🟩
🟪🟪🟦🟦
🟨🟨🟦🟪
🟪🟦🟦🟨
🟨🟨🟨🟨
🟪🟪🟪🟪
🟦🟦🟦🟦

I do Connections, and I think today was the first time I had a guess that used all 4:
Connections
Puzzle #234
🟦🟨🟪🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩
🟨🟨🟦🟨
🟨🟨🟨🟨
🟦🟦🟦🟦
🟪🟪🟪🟪

Yeah it infuriates me sometimes lol

Josquius

Apparently rishi sunak doesn't eat every Monday.
Now Monday sounds the worst possible day for this. Though every day is Monday when you're a politician I guess.
I've heard of some doing it and am tempted to give it a go.
Though with other people in the house it'll be hard
██████
██████
██████

FunkMonk

Connections
Puzzle #235
🟦🟩🟩🟩
🟦🟨🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩
🟪🟪🟪🟦
🟪🟪🟪🟪
🟦🟦🟦🟦
🟨🟨🟨🟨

Josquius

A random thought.
Why don't they have potatoes in Chinese/east Asian cuisine?

A quick Google throws up lots of "ha gotcha!" stuff about how China is actually the world's biggest potato producer, obscure dishes that do contain potato and so on.
But general Chinese food that you see in the west just never has any potato in it. In Japan i can't remember ever running into a Japanese potato dish bar curry.

It's weird because basically everywhere else: the west, Africa, India, obviously Latin America... OK not the middle east either.
They did take off.
██████
██████
██████

HVC

Rice. It's a starch and can be used for anything potatoes can.

*edit* and keeps better then potatoes can.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

HVC

Quote from: Jacob on January 30, 2024, 08:02:20 PMSaw a Vinfast car on the road earlier today.

Never heard of it, so I went home to search it on the internet. Turns out it's a Vietnamese E-Car manufacturer who has entered the Canadian and US markets in 2023.

The car looked decent enough in traffic and online. Certainly more attractive than a Tesla on first glance.

Do any of you know anything about the company or their cars?

Haven't watched it, but this came in my feed and thought of you.

Josquius

Quote from: HVC on February 02, 2024, 08:04:05 AMRice. It's a starch and can be used for anything potatoes can.

Yet: India.
██████
██████
██████

HVC

Fasting loop hole. Hindus can eat potatoes during fasting days/holidays.

Tamas

Quote from: Josquius on February 02, 2024, 08:17:41 AM
Quote from: HVC on February 02, 2024, 08:04:05 AMRice. It's a starch and can be used for anything potatoes can.

Yet: India.

Maybe India as a whole isn't as good for cultivating rice?

Rice BTW is superior to potato. I am not saying I prefer rice over potato with EVERY food, but for most, yes.