Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Sheilbh

Mentioned that Starmer did a visit to British troops in Estonia (hard to imagine his predecessor doing that). Usual stuff for politician visiting forces - very much not political, serving Christmas dinner etc.

But it did produce this picture which, as someone commented online, looks like the poster for a thought-provoking modern production of Macbeth :lol:

I feel like this should encourage politicians, especially Tory politicians, to not get into a tank. I know they're always trying to emulate the Kohl-Thatcher day out, but equally they always look ridiculous. I think it's something Sunak hasn't done because he is aware that as a smaller man he would look particularly daft.
Let's bomb Russia!

Richard Hakluyt

Winchester college does have a combined cadet force though, I wonder which branch Sunak was in?

Josquius

The network north thing is truly amazing. Conspiracy hat on, I wonder if the graphic designer putting together the poster knew how stupid it was, as it really looks like a spoof, highlighting London like so.

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 22, 2023, 07:17:52 AMMentioned that Starmer did a visit to British troops in Estonia (hard to imagine his predecessor doing that). Usual stuff for politician visiting forces - very much not political, serving Christmas dinner etc.

But it did produce this picture which, as someone commented online, looks like the poster for a thought-provoking modern production of Macbeth :lol:

I feel like this should encourage politicians, especially Tory politicians, to not get into a tank. I know they're always trying to emulate the Kohl-Thatcher day out, but equally they always look ridiculous. I think it's something Sunak hasn't done because he is aware that as a smaller man he would look particularly daft.

He doesn't look thaaaat bad.

But speaking as whitey mcwhiteface myself, he needs some sun.
██████
██████
██████

HVC

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 22, 2023, 07:17:52 AMI feel like this should encourage politicians, especially Tory politicians, to not get into a tank. I know they're always trying to emulate the Kohl-Thatcher day out, but equally they always look ridiculous. I think it's something Sunak hasn't done because he is aware that as a smaller man he would look particularly daft.

He could peak out the artillery barrel. It'd be cute, hiding like a life sized elf on a shelf :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Josquius on December 22, 2023, 09:24:47 AMHe doesn't look thaaaat bad.

:lol:

I agree. In general politicians visiting the troops look ridiculous (except former soldiers, generally). I think it's because they always try to do something active - Tory leaders on a tank - or get a little too into it - Blair in desert boots visiting Iraq etc. I think Starmer actually shows more or less the right way of doing it.

QuoteHe could peak out the artillery barrel. It'd be cute, hiding like a life sized elf on a shelf :P
:lol: With Sunak because I know he is short and then I see pictures of him with other people I'm always wondering if they're all just shorter than I imagined or if there's some weird Lord of the Rings style stuff going on with angles.
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 22, 2023, 09:59:08 AM
Quote from: Josquius on December 22, 2023, 09:24:47 AMHe doesn't look thaaaat bad.

:lol:

I agree. In general politicians visiting the troops look ridiculous (except former soldiers, generally). I think it's because they always try to do something active - Tory leaders on a tank - or get a little too into it - Blair in desert boots visiting Iraq etc. I think Starmer actually shows more or less the right way of doing it.

QuoteHe could peak out the artillery barrel. It'd be cute, hiding like a life sized elf on a shelf :P
:lol: With Sunak because I know he is short and then I see pictures of him with other people I'm always wondering if they're all just shorter than I imagined or if there's some weird Lord of the Rings style stuff going on with angles.

Some are shorter. He posed for a photo with my in-laws and I know his team must have picked them to make him look tall.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

HVC

During the sunak is short meme a thon there was a perp wall type pic with short politians (Marcon and zelensky were the two I remember) then Trudeau towering above them.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

Sheilbh

Quote from: HVC on December 22, 2023, 10:02:46 AMDuring the sunak is short meme a thon there was a perp wall type pic with short politians (Marcon and zelensky were the two I remember) then Trudeau towering above them.
Well I think there's that thing in the US that since the war or maybe since the TV age (1960 with the Nixon-Kennedy debate) that the taller candidate has won every Presidential election :lol:

Obviously not true in the UK. I think someone did a similar pic of previous British PMs and actually a lot of them are pretty short, for somme reason it just became a meme with Sunak.
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

It's not that Sunak is short, it's that he always looks like a kid wearing daddy's suit.
██████
██████
██████

Syt

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 22, 2023, 09:59:08 AMI agree. In general politicians visiting the troops look ridiculous (except former soldiers, generally). I think it's because they always try to do something active - Tory leaders on a tank - or get a little too into it - Blair in desert boots visiting Iraq etc.

Leaders in tanks are a proud tradition!

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

HVC

Because he stood next to that giant. PR failure.

*edit* josq is right too, he's not just short, he's got  delicate and petite frame. Zelensky is shorter, but is built up, for example.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Josquius on December 22, 2023, 10:14:38 AMIt's not that Sunak is short, it's that he always looks like a kid wearing daddy's suit.
Yeah - that's his style and it's bad. But it is also understandable generationally. He's 43. He came up in the 2000s and 2010s which was the peak of skinny everything.

Admirable he's still slim enough to pull that sort of suit off at all but I think it's just what he knows. I also think he wears not great but sort of standard-ish suits because he could afford skinny suits that fit properly and look great, but they'd probably be bespoke and set off another round of discourse about wealth.

QuoteLeaders in tanks are a proud tradition!
:lol: A tradition that so few politicians can live up to. Thatcher and Kohl were at the same time too:

A day out in an attempt to see if they could get along, which failed :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

HVC

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 22, 2023, 10:07:17 AMWell I think there's that thing in the US that since the war or maybe since the TV age (1960 with the Nixon-Kennedy debate) that the taller candidate has won every Presidential election :lol:

Can't be.  John Kerry is a monster. 

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 22, 2023, 10:26:39 AMCan't be.  John Kerry is a monster. 
You're right. Double checked and it's since 1900 and not all but they tend to win, over two thirds apparently.
Let's bomb Russia!