Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Admiral Yi

Though to be totally fair I do believe that the further you travel from the center the greater the tendency to dismiss arguments from the other side without consideration.

Sheilbh

Very late to this. Danny Kruger's a Tory MP who I don't like at all, but these minutes from 1994 in his new constituency are great - I shared with someone from Salisbury who was not surprised :lol: Very intrigued by whatever's happening in the second item 7 :hmm:
QuoteDanny Kruger
@danny__kruger
To get to know the new Conservative association in the area I'm candidate for at the next election (following boundary changes) I've been looking through some old minutes of the committee meetings. They are glorious. Here's one

Let's bomb Russia!

Richard Hakluyt

I think those may be the most entertaining minutes I have ever read  :lol:

Though one has to wonder if Miss Jane Rasch was jazzing them up and taking the piss  :hmm:

The Brain

Please use the YouTube functionality when posting YT links. Thusly:

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Sheilbh

Just Stop Scrolling is what their sign says so I assume anti-social media. But with the logo and the outfits etc I suspect they're making content for social media :hmm:
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

My initial thought from the name jumped to far right nuts but looking at them with their EU colours and some of their boards mentioning Europe...I guess something about the privacy laws coming in?

So. Election looking on for summer.
Please don't be another false dawn. The country really is coming apart at the seams.
██████
██████
██████

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

PJL

Now that we're into 2024, I'll make a prediction for the GE this year:

CON: 225
LAB: 350
LIB: 25
SNP: 25
OTH: 25

Gups

Sheilbh

Quote from: PJL on January 02, 2024, 04:59:10 AMNow that we're into 2024, I'll make a prediction for the GE this year:

CON: 225
LAB: 350
LIB: 25
SNP: 25
OTH: 25
I suspect the Tories will be lower - down around 150 like in 1997 (and I think it might even be worse).

I think that's probably right on the Lib Dems and SNP, my one bold prediction would be that I think Labour might come back as the biggest party in Scotland (in seats).

Not sure on the others - obviously there'll be the NI seats and some Plaid. But I think the Greens will lose Brighton to Labour without Caroline Lucas. Also they're unlikely to win a seat anyway, but in terms of votes unless something changes I think Reform will continue to underwhelm in the real world.

QuoteSo. Election looking on for summer.
When a government looks like it's going to lose, my default is that they'll wait to the last possible minute (although I don't think Sunak will go for a December/January election because....) - so I still feel it's more likely to be autumn than any time sooner.

I've seen similar things, plus what Gups said and I was speaking to the public policy guy at work (who is ex-Labour) and he said the same - that there isn't enough in the King's Speech for an entire parliament which would indicate an election this summer or earlier.

But I also think there's something to the idea that lots of this is coming from Labour sources and that they're possibly trying to lay the groundwork for calling Sunak a coward/chicken if he doesn't call an election this summer.
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

I do wonder whether there's some sort of cunning tactical element of trying to get a vote at an inconvenient time for non-tory demographics too. Like I assume they'd want all the students in their universities giving huge labour majorities there rather than potentially toppling more marginal hometowns?
██████
██████
██████